LaVeyan Satanism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-10-2012, 03:55 PM
RE: LaVeyan Satanism
You know, secular humanism pretty much covers it and doesn't scare people away.

LaVeyan Satanism seems, at best, redundant. But mostly it seems childish.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Chas's post
21-10-2012, 03:56 PM
Yeah I read the Satanic Bible as a teenager. I was even interviewed on a PA newstation in 1997 for my association with satanism. The backlighting was not my idea.
[Image: news.jpg]
I found it easier to just call oneself a humanist and not give an organization my money, though. Sure, LaVey recycled a lot of ideas, but much of it made sense, especially that people want and like ritual, and if you can admit to yourself that it's psychodrama, it's probably healthier than Christians thinking they are actually eating/drinking Jesus' body/blood,and so on.

Mostly, I think LaVey was a great showman and a good businessman, because he ended up getting money from a lot of people. Ultimately though, I doubt there's much to be gained from joining the CoS, and I stopped calling myself a satanist more than a decade ago and became an anti-theist instead. It's often difficult to be understood and taken seriously if you call yourself a satanist. People think you worship the devil and are angry at god, and are a rebellious teenager or something.

I think LaVey's books are worth a read just to understand what it's all about, but I don't think the organization he started is very useful.
21-10-2012, 04:51 PM
So......

Satan and God are powerful dudes and are going to battle it out WWE style at the end of the world, but right now they need funding?

Sounds like their plan isn't coming along too well if they need donations from humans.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like I and I's post
21-10-2012, 04:55 PM
(21-10-2012 03:55 PM)Chas Wrote:  You know, secular humanism pretty much covers it and doesn't scare people away.

Well, if someone is too afraid to scare people away, then they really aren't cut out for Satanism. When I made my association with Satanism public, yeah I lost some friends. But more importantly, some stayed by me. I guess I know who my true friends are.

I hear that word a lot. Childish. As if it's the greatest slur.
I mean, is imagination childish? If it is, then what's so bad about that? I understand some hardening from the world. But to give up a sense of creativity and imagination seems like a terrible loss. Is symbolism childish? I, like many people, quite enjoy the use of symbols. I find them interesting, entertaining and just appealing.
It's interesting you should mention children. For many Satanists, children are to be revered for the aforementioned imagination and creativity. We feel it's something to be admired.

[Image: zjxoi9.png]
21-10-2012, 04:59 PM
(21-10-2012 04:55 PM)Nevermore Wrote:  
(21-10-2012 03:55 PM)Chas Wrote:  You know, secular humanism pretty much covers it and doesn't scare people away.

I hear that word a lot. Childish. As if it's the greatest slur.
I mean, is imagination childish? If it is, then what's so bad about that? I understand some hardening from the world. But to give up a sense of creativity and imagination seems like a terrible loss. Is symbolism childish? I, like many people, quite enjoy the use of symbols. I find them interesting, entertaining and just appealing.
It's interesting you should mention children. For many Satanists, children are to be revered for the aforementioned imagination and creativity. We feel it's something to be admired.

Ok, not childish; how about silly, pretentious, misnamed?

[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
21-10-2012, 04:59 PM
(21-10-2012 04:55 PM)Nevermore Wrote:  It's interesting you should mention children. For many Satanists, children are to be revered for the aforementioned imagination and creativity. We feel it's something to be admired.

Yeah, and many of us just fucking eat them. ... Guess that's maybe our biggest difference. ... To each their own. Big Grin

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
21-10-2012, 05:00 PM
What Chas said. You still haven't explained why it's better to call oneself a satanist than to call oneself a secular humanist. You can use symbols without calling yourself a satanist.
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
21-10-2012, 05:09 PM
(21-10-2012 05:00 PM)amyb Wrote:  What Chas said. You still haven't explained why it's better to call oneself a satanist than to call oneself a secular humanist. You can use symbols without calling yourself a satanist.

Secular humanist is droll and boring,
Satanist is exciting and provocative.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
21-10-2012, 05:09 PM
(21-10-2012 05:00 PM)amyb Wrote:  What Chas said. You still haven't explained why it's better to call oneself a satanist than to call oneself a secular humanist. You can use symbols without calling yourself a satanist.

Maybe it isn't better. Maybe I just prefer it. Chas finds it silly. I just find the idea more descriptive of myself. Maybe it's better to call oneself an agnostic rather than atheist, what with its bad connotation and agnosticism's nicer, less argumentative connotation. But we identify as atheists to show our firm belief that there isn't a god. I identify as a Satanist because I agree with the philosophy and prefer the association with the said "adversary". I don't need people to take me seriously. I don't need them to understand. They can believe whatever nonsense they want. If it floats their boat. I guess you could say the said title floats my boat. I'm sorry it doesn't go much deeper than that.

[Image: zjxoi9.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Nevermore's post
21-10-2012, 05:10 PM
(21-10-2012 05:09 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

Secular humanist is droll and boring,
Satanist is exciting and provocative.

And silly, misleading, inappropriate, inapplicable, and silly.

[+] 4 users Like Chas's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Satanism and Ritualism Mr. Slave 68 849 19-06-2014 10:20 PM
Last Post: Taqiyya Mockingbird
  Why so much Satanism all over the forum? Aseptic Skeptic 197 5,800 30-11-2012 03:56 PM
Last Post: GirlyMan
  Atheism and Satanism katbus 99 5,898 23-11-2012 01:36 AM
Last Post: Irishdize
  Satanism is the only real religion. satan69 73 3,990 19-11-2012 02:17 PM
Last Post: Logica Humano
  Satanism gaglamesh731 11 818 29-05-2011 03:59 PM
Last Post: gaglamesh731