LaVeyan Satanism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-10-2012, 05:11 PM
RE: LaVeyan Satanism
(21-10-2012 05:09 PM)Nevermore Wrote:  
(21-10-2012 05:00 PM)amyb Wrote:  What Chas said. You still haven't explained why it's better to call oneself a satanist than to call oneself a secular humanist. You can use symbols without calling yourself a satanist.

Maybe it isn't better. Maybe I just prefer it. Chas finds it silly. I just find the idea more descriptive of myself. Maybe it's better to call oneself an agnostic rather than atheist, what with its bad connotation and agnosticism's nicer, less argumentative connotation. But we identify as atheists to show our firm belief that there isn't a god. I identify as a Satanist because I agree with the philosophy and prefer the association with the said "adversary". I don't need people to take me seriously. I don't need them to understand. They can believe whatever nonsense they want. If it floats their boat. I guess you could say the said title floats my boat. I'm sorry it doesn't go much deeper than that.

It's silly because it has nothing to do with Satan. It's a really stupid name.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-10-2012, 05:17 PM
(21-10-2012 05:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(21-10-2012 05:09 PM)Nevermore Wrote:  Maybe it isn't better. Maybe I just prefer it. Chas finds it silly. I just find the idea more descriptive of myself. Maybe it's better to call oneself an agnostic rather than atheist, what with its bad connotation and agnosticism's nicer, less argumentative connotation. But we identify as atheists to show our firm belief that there isn't a god. I identify as a Satanist because I agree with the philosophy and prefer the association with the said "adversary". I don't need people to take me seriously. I don't need them to understand. They can believe whatever nonsense they want. If it floats their boat. I guess you could say the said title floats my boat. I'm sorry it doesn't go much deeper than that.

It's silly because it has nothing to do with Satan.

Fine. Your definition of what Satan is isn't the same as mine. We're using the original term meaning "the adversary". Perhaps you're using "big scary horned man that eats puppies". Of course that's a wonderful image, but we don't associate with the Christian devil. That's not our symbol.

It's a stupid name. Ohh, pwned me on that one. Tongue

[Image: zjxoi9.png]
Find all posts by this user
21-10-2012, 05:21 PM
(21-10-2012 05:17 PM)Nevermore Wrote:  
(21-10-2012 05:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  It's silly because it has nothing to do with Satan.

Fine. Your definition of what Satan is isn't the same as mine. We're using the original term meaning "the adversary". Perhaps you're using "big scary horned man that eats puppies". Of course that's a wonderful image, but we don't associate with the Christian devil. That's not our symbol.

But that's most people's association. Bad marketing. Stupendously bad choice of a name.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
21-10-2012, 05:23 PM
(21-10-2012 05:10 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(21-10-2012 05:09 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Secular humanist is droll and boring,
Satanist is exciting and provocative.

And silly, misleading, inappropriate, inapplicable, and silly.

also known as fun. Evil_monster

(21-10-2012 05:09 PM)Nevermore Wrote:  
(21-10-2012 05:00 PM)amyb Wrote:  What Chas said. You still haven't explained why it's better to call oneself a satanist than to call oneself a secular humanist. You can use symbols without calling yourself a satanist.

Maybe it isn't better. Maybe I just prefer it. Chas finds it silly. I just find the idea more descriptive of myself. Maybe it's better to call oneself an agnostic rather than atheist, what with its bad connotation and agnosticism's nicer, less argumentative connotation. But we identify as atheists to show our firm belief that there isn't a god. I identify as a Satanist because I agree with the philosophy and prefer the association with the said "adversary". I don't need people to take me seriously. I don't need them to understand. They can believe whatever nonsense they want. If it floats their boat. I guess you could say the said title floats my boat. I'm sorry it doesn't go much deeper than that.

Don't need to go no deeper than that, Raven quoter. Thumbsup

This is not my signature.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
21-10-2012, 05:26 PM
(21-10-2012 05:21 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(21-10-2012 05:17 PM)Nevermore Wrote:  Fine. Your definition of what Satan is isn't the same as mine. We're using the original term meaning "the adversary". Perhaps you're using "big scary horned man that eats puppies". Of course that's a wonderful image, but we don't associate with the Christian devil. That's not our symbol.

But that's most people's association. Bad marketing. Stupendously bad choice of a name.

Most people's. Not Satanists'. Honestly, it's not about what most people think. Trying to play to the masses isn't what Satanism is about. That's why we don't go knocking door to door, leaving out pamphlets and leaving "I'm a Satanist" commercials on YouTube videos. We're looking out for people who are open minded and curious to learn. Not people who foolishly believe everything they're told. The find us if they want to learn.

21-10-2012, 05:32 PM (This post was last modified: 21-10-2012 05:35 PM by GirlyMan.)
(21-10-2012 05:26 PM)Nevermore Wrote:  We're looking out for people who are open minded and curious to learn. Not people who foolishly believe everything they're told. The find us if they want to learn.

While I'm interested in your metaphysics, I won't be coming to you looking to learn logic and shit. I already paid a shitload of money to University for that foundation a long time ago.

[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
21-10-2012, 05:36 PM
(21-10-2012 05:32 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(21-10-2012 05:26 PM)Nevermore Wrote:  We're looking out for people who are open minded and curious to learn. Not people who foolishly believe everything they're told. The find us if they want to learn.

While I'm interested in your metaphysics, I won't be coming to you looking to learn logic and shit. I already paid a shitload of money to University for that foundation.

Great. Then learn about the metaphysics. See how easy that is? Looking past someone's image, whether you think it's silly or not, to learn more about them?

21-10-2012, 05:40 PM
(21-10-2012 05:36 PM)Nevermore Wrote:  
(21-10-2012 05:32 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  While I'm interested in your metaphysics, I won't be coming to you looking to learn logic and shit. I already paid a shitload of money to University for that foundation.

Great. Then learn about the metaphysics. See how easy that is? Looking past someone's image, whether you think it's silly or not, to learn more about them?

Duh. Probably been doing that longer than you've been alive.

21-10-2012, 05:42 PM
(21-10-2012 05:40 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(21-10-2012 05:36 PM)Nevermore Wrote:  Great. Then learn about the metaphysics. See how easy that is? Looking past someone's image, whether you think it's silly or not, to learn more about them?

Duh. Probably been doing that longer than you've been alive.

That was meant more for Chas. ^^

[+] 1 user Likes Nevermore's post
21-10-2012, 05:42 PM
Quote:Maybe it isn't better. Maybe I just prefer it. Chas finds it silly. I just find the idea more descriptive of myself. Maybe it's better to call oneself an agnostic rather than atheist, what with its bad connotation and agnosticism's nicer, less argumentative connotation.
Except that atheism and agnosticism don't mean the same thing, therefore are not interchangeable.

What I don't like about LaVeyan Satanism is that it preaches against being sheeplike, yet the people have rules (yes, often rules against being sheeplike). I used to write for some satanism zines in the '90s, and I got into huge letter-writing arguments with CoS members about how stupid certain rules were, such as rules against doing drugs. I don't even do drugs, but who the fuck is LaVey to tell me I can't smoke pot? I don't know how it is now, but back then, people hung on everything he wrote and followed it dogmatically, just replacing their Christian upbringing with a hip new rebellious term for themselves. I have no problem with people modelling themselves after the character of Satan. Non serviam, and all that. But many people are dumb, and seem to miss the point, which is why I distanced myself from that group of people.