LaVeyan Satanism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-10-2012, 06:44 PM
RE: LaVeyan Satanism
(21-10-2012 11:21 AM)Nevermore Wrote:  Q: How much does it cost to join?
A: $200 to join the Church of Satan. And that's the only payment you'll ever have to make.
Sooo... how is this different from scientology again? Consider

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
21-10-2012, 06:48 PM
(21-10-2012 06:44 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Sooo... how is this different from scientology again? Consider
More people can afford it.

And I can think of many better things to spend $200 on, rather than a CoS membership card to put in my wallet.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-10-2012, 06:54 PM
(21-10-2012 06:48 PM)amyb Wrote:  
(21-10-2012 06:44 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Sooo... how is this different from scientology again? Consider
More people can afford it.

And I can think of many better things to spend $200 on, rather than a CoS membership card to put in my wallet.

Well not only do you get the card, but the membership fee also includes a secret decoder ring with vibrating Pentacle!
[+] 2 users Like Julius's post
21-10-2012, 06:59 PM
(21-10-2012 06:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(21-10-2012 05:42 PM)Nevermore Wrote:  That was meant more for Chas. ^^

"Acknowledge the power of magic if you have employed it successfully to obtain your desires. If you deny the power of magic after having called upon it with success, you will lose all you have obtained."

Really? We're done here.

Didn't I explain what magic meant to Satanists? Or was that just too much reading for you?
And hey, you proved my point. You saw something you didn't like and decided not to learn more. Just go on with whatever predisposed beliefs you had. Hey, whatever floats your boat.

[Image: zjxoi9.png]
21-10-2012, 07:14 PM
(21-10-2012 06:35 PM)Julius Wrote:  I looked at the Satanic Website you posted and read what was on it and...it sucks. You haven't found intellectual or spiritual freedom, you have just exchanged one set of dogma for another: one religion for another. And...what is so bad about Satanism is that it defines itself in terms of Christianity - not exactly original thinking, and certainly not reasonable. It looks like Satanism is just Christianity in Reverse for the most part, as if someone noticing that since Christian doctrine is so screwed-up, then assumes that the opposite to Christianities' main doctrines must be reasonable: it's an argument using flawed premises.

As a result, I can't figure why you would think an Atheist community wouldn't be just as disgusted with Satanism as they would Christianity - because at the heart of both Satanism and Christianity is unreasonable assumptions, flawed logic, dogma and the supernatural.

This doesn't impress me.

We don't live to impress you.

Look, no one lives without rules. We all have our own philosophies on what is right and what is wrong. Your philosophies are probably borrowed from others as well. And they most likely match someone else's entirely. This idea that I'm forcing myself to adhere to rules I don't agree with needs to stop. I believed like this before I even knew LaVey's name! These aren't imposing rules to me, since I already lived by them.
Perhaps I can give you some damn good reasons not to be disgusted with Satanism. Satanism supports homosexual marriage. Satanism supports abortion rights. Satanism supports stem-cell research, Satanism supports women's rights. Satanism supports all of your personal rights. You know, those things that Christianity and similar religions have been trying to take away from you?
Unreasonable assumptions? About what? Tell me, please. Flawed logic? Inform me. Supernatural? We're atheists too! I'm telling you, we really, truly do not, I repeat, do not believe in a god.

21-10-2012, 07:14 PM
(21-10-2012 06:59 PM)Nevermore Wrote:  
(21-10-2012 06:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  "Acknowledge the power of magic if you have employed it successfully to obtain your desires. If you deny the power of magic after having called upon it with success, you will lose all you have obtained."

Really? We're done here.

Didn't I explain what magic meant to Satanists? Or was that just too much reading for you?
And hey, you proved my point. You saw something you didn't like and decided not to learn more. Just go on with whatever predisposed beliefs you had. Hey, whatever floats your boat.

I don't subscribe to anyone's philosophy, politics, or religion.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-10-2012, 07:15 PM
(21-10-2012 06:44 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(21-10-2012 11:21 AM)Nevermore Wrote:  Q: How much does it cost to join?
A: $200 to join the Church of Satan. And that's the only payment you'll ever have to make.
Sooo... how is this different from scientology again? Consider

Not everything that asks for money is Scientology.

21-10-2012, 07:16 PM (This post was last modified: 21-10-2012 07:20 PM by Nevermore.)
(21-10-2012 07:14 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(21-10-2012 06:59 PM)Nevermore Wrote:  Didn't I explain what magic meant to Satanists? Or was that just too much reading for you?

I don't subscribe to anyone's philosophy, politics, or religion.

Good for you. Do you want a cookie?

21-10-2012, 07:19 PM
(21-10-2012 05:09 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Secular humanist is droll and boring,
Satanist is exciting and provocative.

Droll means whimsical, funny, amusing. It does not dry, boring, bland. I don't know why so many people have this misconception. Maybe because it just sounds like such a bland word...Whatever the case it annoys me. Sorry to be an ass, just one of my pet peeves. I also hate when people say/spell heighth instead of height, say neanderthal instead of neandertal (although that is how it is spelled and although most American dictionaries allow it now Angry).

21-10-2012, 07:21 PM
(21-10-2012 07:15 PM)Nevermore Wrote:  
Not everything that asks for money is Scientology.
Care to answer my question nonetheless? Consider

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]