LaVeyan Satanism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-10-2012, 07:22 PM
RE: LaVeyan Satanism
(21-10-2012 07:21 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(21-10-2012 07:15 PM)Nevermore Wrote:  Not everything that asks for money is Scientology.
Care to answer my question nonetheless? Consider

I can't. Since I don't know the philosophy of Scientology.

[Image: zjxoi9.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-10-2012, 07:28 PM
(21-10-2012 07:22 PM)Nevermore Wrote:  I can't. Since I don't know the philosophy of Scientology.
I was talking about the the similarity of the two due to both being "exclusive" in that they charge money for joining their church. What's the difference between having to pay to be in the 'special club' of Scientology in contrast to paying to be part of the 'special club' of Satanism? Are there any rewards or benefits? Why do they exclude poor people from joining their church?

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
21-10-2012, 07:29 PM
(21-10-2012 07:16 PM)Nevermore Wrote:  
(21-10-2012 07:14 PM)Chas Wrote:  I don't subscribe to anyone's philosophy, politics, or religion.

Good for you. Do you want a cookie?

No, thank you. Very kind of you to offer.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-10-2012, 07:29 PM
Well, I suppose satanism, even for those who include woo in it, is still a bit less mad than scientology. I just think it's badly-named. I know LaVey did that on purpose to be theatrical and piss people off, but whatever. I prefer to do away with all manner of woo and associations with the devil, personally.

(21-10-2012 07:19 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  ...say neanderthal instead of neandertal (although that is how it is spelled and although most American dictionaries allow it now Angry).

Ah, a language prescriptivist! I studied linguistics in college and no longer hold that view. "th" has a "th" sound in english, but not in German. I suppose you tell English-speakers to say "folksvagen" instead of [english-consonant-pronunciation] "volkswagen," too? My mom calls my dachshunds "dash-hounds." ^_^ It's an acceptable English-speaking pronunciation, though, but I prefer the German.

agreed on the point about "droll" though.
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
21-10-2012, 07:32 PM (This post was last modified: 21-10-2012 07:38 PM by Nevermore.)
(21-10-2012 07:28 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(21-10-2012 07:22 PM)Nevermore Wrote:  I can't. Since I don't know the philosophy of Scientology.
I was talking about the the similarity of the two due to both being "exclusive" in that they charge money for joining their church. What's the difference between having to pay to be in the 'special club' of Scientology in contrast to paying to be part of the 'special club' of Satanism? Are there any rewards or benefits?

Oh, probably nothing. If you pay and join the church, you can become an active member. If you do anything for the Church, such as build websites around it, host podcasts for it, write or play music about it etc. Anything you do to further the message of Satanism basically can get you up the ranks of the Church. Perhaps meaningful to some, maybe not to others. That's why it isn't a requirement. Although, the CoS is very secretive. Who knows what goes on? Not I.

21-10-2012, 07:34 PM
(21-10-2012 07:29 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(21-10-2012 07:16 PM)Nevermore Wrote:  Good for you. Do you want a cookie?

No, thank you. Very kind of you to offer.

Hey, I like doing nice things for those willing to challenge me.

21-10-2012, 07:35 PM
After reading the OPs first post, I feel like I'm a satanist without knowing what it was prior LOL. I have to say I really enjoyed the recent TTA podcast with Seth and the Satanic Church. It was quite interesting. Can't say I feel a need to follow a doctrine, however. Still was a cool podcast that cleared up a lot of things about it.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
21-10-2012, 07:45 PM
(21-10-2012 07:32 PM)Nevermore Wrote:  Oh, probably nothing. If you pay and join the church, you can become an active member. If you do anything for the Church, such as build websites around it, host podcasts for it, write or play music about it etc. Anything you do to further the message of Satanism basically can get you up the ranks of the Church. Perhaps meaningful to some, maybe not to others. That's why it isn't a requirement. Although, the CoS is very secretive. Who knows what goes on? Not I.
Nothing, huh? Ranks, huh? Paying in order to do stuff, huh?

I think I have all the information I need about Satanism.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
21-10-2012, 07:50 PM
(21-10-2012 07:45 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(21-10-2012 07:32 PM)Nevermore Wrote:  Oh, probably nothing. If you pay and join the church, you can become an active member. If you do anything for the Church, such as build websites around it, host podcasts for it, write or play music about it etc. Anything you do to further the message of Satanism basically can get you up the ranks of the Church. Perhaps meaningful to some, maybe not to others. That's why it isn't a requirement. Although, the CoS is very secretive. Who knows what goes on? Not I.
Nothing, huh? Ranks, huh? Paying in order to do stuff, huh?

I think I have all the information I need about Satanism.

Because I guess that immediately makes all of the philosophy pointless to learn about. They charge money. The horror.

21-10-2012, 08:07 PM
(21-10-2012 07:50 PM)Nevermore Wrote:  Because I guess that immediately makes all of the philosophy pointless to learn about. They charge money. The horror.

I think the point is you can learn all about it without buying a $200 membership card and joining their club.