Lab cultured meat - ethical questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-08-2013, 10:25 AM
Lab cultured meat - ethical questions
For those who may not know please read:

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/08/08/opinio...?hpt=hp_c5

Now there is talk that perhaps this breakthrough may lead to the end of factory farming and people that are vegan or vegitarian could now eat meat free of guilt regarding how farm animals are treated, and how it could help the environment. We can talk about those implications if you want.

But I want to see if I'm alone on a different possible use of this technology. We could now eat exotic animal meats that you would never otherwise be able to.

The cost of this technology will slowly come down over time, but even so it will be a long time before your $.99 beef burger will be grown right in you neighbourhood fast food restaurant.

But how many people do you think might pay a lot of money for a guilt free taste of a panda burger or breaded gorilla fingers... BBQ condor wings anyone? Do you feel that doing this would still be wrong?

It might even help cut down on the poaching of endangered species.

Any Thoughts?

"I am a knowledgeable man, I have knowledge. If I knew how I knew what I know, I would know half as much, because it would be clogged up with where I knew it from...that is why I cannot always cite my sources. - David Mitchell
"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-08-2013, 10:31 AM
RE: Lab cultured meat - ethical questions
(10-08-2013 10:25 AM)unsapien Wrote:  For those who may not know please read:

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/08/08/opinio...?hpt=hp_c5

Now there is talk that perhaps this breakthrough may lead to the end of factory farming and people that are vegan or vegitarian could now eat meat free of guilt regarding how farm animals are treated, and how it could help the environment. We can talk about those implications if you want.

But I want to see if I'm alone on a different possible use of this technology. We could now eat exotic animal meats that you would never otherwise be able to.

The cost of this technology will slowly come down over time, but even so it will be a long time before your $.99 beef burger will be grown right in you neighbourhood fast food restaurant.

But how many people do you think might pay a lot of money for a guilt free taste of a panda burger or breaded gorilla fingers... BBQ condor wings anyone? Do you feel that doing this would still be wrong?

It might even help cut down on the poaching of endangered species.

Any Thoughts?

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
10-08-2013, 10:53 AM
Breaded gorilla fingers........now I'm hungry.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
10-08-2013, 11:11 AM
I saw something on TV about that (and you all know it must be true then!) and from what I heard the stuff is dry and tough and tastes like nothing.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
10-08-2013, 11:17 AM
And for those that need to eat the body & blood of their saviour, no more tastless wafers & grape juice!

"I am a knowledgeable man, I have knowledge. If I knew how I knew what I know, I would know half as much, because it would be clogged up with where I knew it from...that is why I cannot always cite my sources. - David Mitchell
"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 2 users Like unsapien's post
10-08-2013, 11:20 AM
(10-08-2013 11:11 AM)Dom Wrote:  I saw something on TV about that (and you all know it must be true then!) and from what I heard the stuff is dry and tough and tastes like nothing.

Well it was their first attempt, so I think they only grew one type of cell, they would have to have some stem cells that produced some fat cells and other types of cells that would also be naturally occuring in the type of meat being made.

10-08-2013, 11:31 AM
Well, at the stage it is at, you can likely "doctor" it like any other food, grind it up, add in some olive oil and spices and juicy bits of veggie or whatever and go ahead and feed the hungry.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
10-08-2013, 11:44 AM
I see 2 aspects to it: once it becomes cheaper than normal meat,it can be used to feed the poor,we wont have to farm cows and pigs anymore wich will keep down the methane production and land degradation.
The other aspect is that by creating meat in the lab thats lower in price than "normal" meat,the farmers,ect. Will lose their jobs.

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
10-08-2013, 12:11 PM
(10-08-2013 11:44 AM)Lightvader Wrote:  The other aspect is that by creating meat in the lab thats lower in price than "normal" meat,the farmers,ect. Will lose their jobs.

I'm not so sure, most of the farms that we get our food from now are pretty much corporate owned operations that are already more like mechanized factories as it is. They will simple "re-tool" and continue.

The smaller family owned farms will still have a growing market as organically grown food will become more "up-scale" product then it already is.

[+] 1 user Likes unsapien's post
10-08-2013, 12:24 PM
The positive environmental impact alone would be worth it.

(10-08-2013 11:44 AM)Lightvader Wrote:  The other aspect is that by creating meat in the lab thats lower in price than "normal" meat,the farmers,ect. Will lose their jobs.

New technologies ALWAYS put people out of work. It's the unfortunate byproduct of progress.

Not too many people are bemoaning the loss of jobs the readily available automobile caused in the blacksmith trade anymore.