Lab cultured meat - ethical questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-08-2013, 12:57 PM
RE: Lab cultured meat - ethical questions
I've tried some of the more typical unusual meats, like ostrich, rattlesnake, opossum and bison. Even a nutria once... once was enough for me.

If I was certain the meat was not from an actual animal, sure I would try it. But, many exotics wouldn't taste much like their natural counterparts. Meat flavor is influenced by the diet of the animal. 'Spanda™ wouldn't taste like panda, because it won't have eaten bamboo for years. It might taste like a panda that was hooked up to life support from birth.

We might still find some good food this way, but it *would not* be the animal the cells came from.

I AM he who is called... cat furniture.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes I Am's post
10-08-2013, 01:11 PM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2013 01:16 PM by GirlyMan.)

(10-08-2013 12:11 PM)unsapien Wrote:  The smaller family owned farms will still have a growing market as organically grown food will become more "up-scale" product then it already is.

(10-08-2013 12:24 PM)Simon Moon Wrote:  New technologies ALWAYS put people out of work. It's the unfortunate byproduct of progress.

Not too many people are bemoaning the loss of jobs the readily available automobile caused in the blacksmith trade anymore.

The best at what they do become artisanal and command even higher compensation as a result.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
10-08-2013, 01:48 PM
(10-08-2013 12:57 PM)I Am Wrote:  If I was certain the meat was not from an actual animal, sure I would try it. But, many exotics wouldn't taste much like their natural counterparts. Meat flavor is influenced by the diet of the animal. 'Spanda™ wouldn't taste like panda, because it won't have eaten bamboo for years. It might taste like a panda that was hooked up to life support from birth.

We might still find some good food this way, but it *would not* be the animal the cells came from.

There's no particular reason to think so; it's quite possible for the culture's nutrient base to very closely approximate the materials found in a "natural" diet. Now, obviously that will not be the cheapest option, but it's a fairly conceptually simple, if implementationally complex, problem.

... this is my signature!
10-08-2013, 02:12 PM
(10-08-2013 01:48 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(10-08-2013 12:57 PM)I Am Wrote:  If I was certain the meat was not from an actual animal, sure I would try it. But, many exotics wouldn't taste much like their natural counterparts. Meat flavor is influenced by the diet of the animal. 'Spanda™ wouldn't taste like panda, because it won't have eaten bamboo for years. It might taste like a panda that was hooked up to life support from birth.

There's no particular reason to think so; it's quite possible for the culture's nutrient base to very closely approximate the materials found in a "natural" diet. Now, obviously that will not be the cheapest option, but it's a fairly conceptually simple, if implementationally complex, problem.

Or, I dunno, you could just add a couple bamboo shoots to it before cooking.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
10-08-2013, 05:10 PM
(10-08-2013 01:11 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

There will be one fast food restaurant chain that will not have to change their burger menu to be ready for this dystopian future :

http://www.aw.ca/publicinfo.nsf/nutritionalfacts2

Do they know something? Consider

"I am a knowledgeable man, I have knowledge. If I knew how I knew what I know, I would know half as much, because it would be clogged up with where I knew it from...that is why I cannot always cite my sources. - David Mitchell
"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
10-08-2013, 05:19 PM
This is a good thing and hope it mainstreams to impoverished nations and people quickly cheaply and safely
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-08-2013, 05:26 PM
My only opposition to meat comes from the harm the animals suffer and the environmental cost of feeding them. Lab meat removes the former entirely, and significantly reduces the latter. I think it's a great invention. We could even treat the difference in taste between natural and lab-grown meat by adding chemicals into it during processing to provide different flavour, and use different processing techniques for texture.

I was thinking though, could we grow human meat? It wouldn't be a person, it would just be genetically human cells. I would never eat a human, but human-sourced cells? I'd try that. Consider

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
10-08-2013, 05:29 PM
(10-08-2013 05:26 PM)Elesjei Wrote:  My only opposition to meat comes from the harm the animals suffer and the environmental cost of feeding them. Lab meat removes the former entirely, and significantly reduces the latter. I think it's a great invention.

I was thinking though, could we grow human meat? It wouldn't be a person, it would just be genetically human cells. I would never eat a human, but human-sourced cells? I'd try that. Consider

Well maybe that would destigmatize cannibals, they eat human flesh without harming anyone or getting sick
10-08-2013, 05:46 PM
(10-08-2013 05:26 PM)Elesjei Wrote:  I was thinking though, could we grow human meat? It wouldn't be a person, it would just be genetically human cells. I would never eat a human, but human-sourced cells? I'd try that. Consider

Welcome to my new restaurant Café Chez Moi

I am the chef that cultures the menu from my own stem cells here is the menu (just think ME whenever you hear SPAM) even the grill will have my own image on it to burn my face into each piece of meat ( for that more spiritual experience):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...nwy2MPT5RE

"I am a knowledgeable man, I have knowledge. If I knew how I knew what I know, I would know half as much, because it would be clogged up with where I knew it from...that is why I cannot always cite my sources. - David Mitchell
"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
10-08-2013, 05:50 PM
(10-08-2013 05:10 PM)unsapien Wrote:  
(10-08-2013 01:11 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

There will be one fast food restaurant chain that will not have to change their burger menu to be ready for this dystopian future :

http://www.aw.ca/publicinfo.nsf/nutritionalfacts2

Do they know something? Consider

I always did like me some teen burger.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]