Lab cultured meat - ethical questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-08-2013, 06:04 PM
RE: Lab cultured meat - ethical questions
(10-08-2013 12:57 PM)I Am Wrote:  I've tried some of the more typical unusual meats, like ostrich, rattlesnake, opossum and bison. Even a nutria once... once was enough for me.

If I was certain the meat was not from an actual animal, sure I would try it. But, many exotics wouldn't taste much like their natural counterparts. Meat flavor is influenced by the diet of the animal. 'Spanda™ wouldn't taste like panda, because it won't have eaten bamboo for years. It might taste like a panda that was hooked up to life support from birth.

We might still find some good food this way, but it *would not* be the animal the cells came from.

i have eaten iguanas,pidgeons,parrots,turtles,deer,rabbits,an armadillo and swine.
Humans would taste good,i imagine.

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-08-2013, 06:44 PM
As hard as I try I can't find any ethical issues to this stuff... But then again, I don't find many ethical issues in killing animals and eat them Tongue

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
10-08-2013, 07:26 PM
Some potential issues I see include:
1. We're talking about cell lines here, so straight up cancer. Safety must be ensured.
2. Nations that are net exporters of meat may have economic problems arise, many of these nations are the poorest in the world and the least able to respond
3. Certain food species may become extinct
4. A high degree of control over the composition of meat may help to improve quality, but will also I think tend over time to be "McDonalds"ised and become less healthy over time - at least for the average supermarket offering.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
10-08-2013, 08:28 PM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2013 08:31 PM by DeepThought.)
(10-08-2013 07:26 PM)Hafnof Wrote:  1. We're talking about cell lines here, so straight up cancer. Safety must be ensured.

You don't get cancer by ingesting tumor cells from another animal. If that was the case it would be far more common and scary. There are only some special exceptions.

I don't think this is much of an issue.

From a food perspective, cancer might be tasty, nutritious, and easy to grow.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
10-08-2013, 09:00 PM
Beats the meat that is recycled from human shit. Dem crazy Japanese...

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
13-08-2013, 11:01 AM
I've heard a lot about this, but so far I have not bother thinking much about it.

It costs 250.000 Euro to produce one small piece of meat, and (at least in the last article I read bout it) the scientist making it said they had little to no idea on how to reduce the costs, yet.

I think it will be an insane amount of time, before this product will reach the everyday man in any way. Maybe it never will.
13-08-2013, 03:35 PM
(13-08-2013 11:01 AM)MuffinPuffin Wrote:  I've heard a lot about this, but so far I have not bother thinking much about it.

It costs 250.000 Euro to produce one small piece of meat, and (at least in the last article I read bout it) the scientist making it said they had little to no idea on how to reduce the costs, yet.

I think it will be an insane amount of time, before this product will reach the everyday man in any way. Maybe it never will.

not necessarily, people said that computers would never reduce their cost and size and many said non-scientist people would never need them.

It's a very new technology, it won't be available anytime soon, but it will someday Smile

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
17-08-2013, 04:52 AM
(13-08-2013 03:35 PM)nach_in Wrote:  
(13-08-2013 11:01 AM)MuffinPuffin Wrote:  I've heard a lot about this, but so far I have not bother thinking much about it.

not necessarily, people said that computers would never reduce their cost and size and many said non-scientist people would never need them.

It's a very new technology, it won't be available anytime soon, but it will someday Smile

I can already hear the cries of protest and outrage about it being unnatural and poisonous and ... y'know, all that crap.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-08-2013, 05:57 AM
(17-08-2013 04:52 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-08-2013 03:35 PM)nach_in Wrote:  not necessarily, people said that computers would never reduce their cost and size and many said non-scientist people would never need them.

I can already hear the cries of protest and outrage about it being unnatural and poisonous and ... y'know, all that crap.

and others are already working out how to tax it.

Dodgy

17-08-2013, 06:05 AM
(17-08-2013 05:57 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(17-08-2013 04:52 AM)Chas Wrote:  I can already hear the cries of protest and outrage about it being unnatural and poisonous and ... y'know, all that crap.

and others are already working out how to tax it.

Dodgy

It will take some more development - it's not palatable. If it tasted like Kobi beef, someone would step in with funds and it would be mass produced in no time.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man