Labels that distinguish between vegetarians motives?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-05-2013, 08:11 PM
Labels that distinguish between vegetarians motives?
Vegetarians are people who withhold meat from their diet. But why they do it varies. Some for dietary reasons (it's more healthy), some for ethical reasons (against the torture and slaughter of sentient animals).

So are there already established labels (trollish language aside) to distinguish the two?

Is it just simply "dietary vegetarian" and "ethical vegetarian"?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-05-2013, 08:25 PM
RE: Labels that distinguish between vegetarians motives?
Well, you got the tools, like the vegans, and the PETA nazis...
Then you got the various religious vegetarians...

There are some vegetarians who do it because it suits their lifestyle and meets their dietary needs, which is the only reason for it to be acceptable.
02-05-2013, 09:09 PM
Established labels are pretty much vegan and vegetarian. Of course, there's never an absolute blanket statement that includes all individuals but on balance, most people who call themselves vegetarian choose that diet for health reasons. On the converse, most vegans choose their diet out of concern for animal welfare.

I fall in the middle, being that I'm concerned for animal welfare but I'm also concerned for my welfare. I avoid meats that are harvested in inhumane ways and I've recently upped my vegetable consumption to meet what I have found to be our evolutionary balance of plant v. flesh consumption.

Out of curiosity, what is your motivation for this thread?

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-05-2013, 09:22 PM (This post was last modified: 02-05-2013 09:26 PM by Lienda Bella.)
Some people simply don't like the smell, texture, and flavor of it. I've experience unfriendly smells with meat twice. My Dad microwaved a burger that smelled like rained on barn poop, and my Mom cooked bacon that I woke up to but tried to ignore. I can't imagine what it must be like to hate more constantly it but come across the smell everywhere they go.
03-05-2013, 04:43 AM
Vegetarians: Dietary woo-woos or anti-human terrorists?

Tongue

Nonsense is nonsense, but the history of nonsense is a very important science.
03-05-2013, 05:46 AM
(03-05-2013 04:43 AM)Abdul Alhazred Wrote:  Vegetarians: Dietary woo-woos or anti-human terrorists?

Tongue

Or both? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post