Lack of focus at work...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-01-2017, 09:57 PM
RE: Lack of focus at work...
I had an office job for two weeks once. It was horrible. I can't fathom doing that for 10 years Tongue

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
05-01-2017, 09:58 PM
(05-01-2017 09:49 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  
(05-01-2017 09:45 PM)jennybee Wrote:  It is very difficult to break into the business, but don't give up on your dreams. Did you look into Amazon self publishing? I think they make it fairly easy to put your book out there and sell it on their site. We get one life, do everything you can to make your dream happen and if it doesn't, at least you'll know you gave it your all and tried. Somebody has to make it to the top and the ones who do are the ones who don't stop. I really didn't mean to make that rhyme Tongue

Yes, I've looked into self-publishing. My only New Year's resolution this year is to finish my current book and self-publish it. So it's more that I just don't expect to be able to write full time. It could happen, sure, but I am not banking on it. Which is why I would like to be better at focusing at my job.

I understand. For me, when I was working in a career I didn't want to be doing, it helped me to allow myself little parts of the day 5-10 minutes here and there to think about what it was I wanted to be doing and how I was going to get there.

Now I'm doing what I want to be doing and am much happier (even though I took a huge pay cut). At the time, it helped my sanity to think about my dream job instead of constantly being "on" in the job I was doing. For me, having my dream, allowed me to focus better on the job I was doing, it made my job at the time not seem like a forever job for me--even though it very well could have been.
05-01-2017, 10:01 PM
Here's a nice vid about incentives... Autonomy, Mastery & Purpose.

It's the relevant section from this longer one about Drive.

From what you write, I'd guess that you have the first two sorted but the last one, Purpose, wavers.

Perhaps the very fact that you have mastered everything in your comfort zone has dampened your purpose.

I suggest pushing the boundaries of that zone by extending your capabilities...

Here's a process capability model. Your role is a process role so you can think of yourself as the process:

[Image: capability-levels.jpg]

Are you at level 3 or 4?

Here's a similar thing which uses maturity rather than capability (but it's much of a muchness):

[Image: capability-maturity-model-integration-9-...1412734753]

Again, are you a 4 already?

So, I'm thinking that it's sometimes boring because of lack of purpose, specifically that you don't see/feel that it's going anywhere ... then the purpose could be about getting to level 5.

Start working on a model of what your role would be in a perfect world ...

... which in my view would be when the US healthcare system is replaced by a National Health System. I think that the GOP will actually be too chicken to destroy the current system but if they do, whoever replaces them (after much rioting in the streets) will go for an NHS... probably state by state.

... and start building a business case for a transition to that optimising solution.

GO!

Consider

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
05-01-2017, 10:02 PM
Since I do bookkeeping work I can often become set on autopilot with my eyes glazed over.

I noticed that when we moved to a different floor and my desk and office setup was different I had to focus more because I couldn't just automatically reach for stuff. A lot of my electronics had to be placed in a mirror image to what they had been for several months. After that I made a point to move a few things around so that I had to be more aware...if that makes any sense. Rearrange your work area a bit. It's amazing how much thought you have to put into small things that have become automatic.

Can you ask for the chance to move into functions? Ask to learn more or something new to increase your knowledge of the whole process?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
05-01-2017, 11:26 PM
(05-01-2017 10:01 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Here's a nice vid about incentives... Autonomy, Mastery & Purpose.

It's the relevant section from this longer one about Drive.

From what you write, I'd guess that you have the first two sorted but the last one, Purpose, wavers.

Perhaps the very fact that you have mastered everything in your comfort zone has dampened your purpose.

I suggest pushing the boundaries of that zone by extending your capabilities...

Here's a process capability model. Your role is a process role so you can think of yourself as the process:

[Image: capability-levels.jpg]

Are you at level 3 or 4?

Here's a similar thing which uses maturity rather than capability (but it's much of a muchness):

[Image: capability-maturity-model-integration-9-...1412734753]

Again, are you a 4 already?

So, I'm thinking that it's sometimes boring because of lack of purpose, specifically that you don't see/feel that it's going anywhere ... then the purpose could be about getting to level 5.

Start working on a model of what your role would be in a perfect world ...

... which in my view would be when the US healthcare system is replaced by a National Health System. I think that the GOP will actually be too chicken to destroy the current system but if they do, whoever replaces them (after much rioting in the streets) will go for an NHS... probably state by state.

... and start building a business case for a transition to that optimising solution.

GO!

Consider

Yeah, I'd say I'm at about a 3 or 4. I feel confident most of the time about my work (at least, I am not constantly second-guessing myself like I did in the early years at the job), I am someone that the newer people will ask questions of so others seem to see me as a source of at least some knowledge (though of course I direct them elsewhere if it's something I'm not sure of), and apparently I am meeting company goals since my evaluations always go well.

I like the idea of "fire prevention" and of looking to move past just mastering things and move onward to improving them. I probably could take some time to go over the things I do and see if I could be doing them better, somehow. They focus on speed a lot at my work, so times before when I've tried to better the way I go about things, I've been looking at it from a standpoint of "how can I speed this up" but I think I might benefit from looking at things now with a perspective of how I can do things in a way that helps me focus better, or even ask myself if there are things I can do away with completely that are just hindering me.

It'd be a start, anyway.

Thanks, you've given me some stuff to think about. Well, you all have - glad I made this post. You guys are awesome. Hobo

[+] 1 user Likes Escape Artist's post
05-01-2017, 11:30 PM
(05-01-2017 10:02 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Since I do bookkeeping work I can often become set on autopilot with my eyes glazed over.

I noticed that when we moved to a different floor and my desk and office setup was different I had to focus more because I couldn't just automatically reach for stuff. A lot of my electronics had to be placed in a mirror image to what they had been for several months. After that I made a point to move a few things around so that I had to be more aware...if that makes any sense. Rearrange your work area a bit. It's amazing how much thought you have to put into small things that have become automatic.

Can you ask for the chance to move into functions? Ask to learn more or something new to increase your knowledge of the whole process?

We do have a new "Learning Center" - online type courses we can do that might help increase my knowledge of other areas in the company. Not sure yet as I haven't had a chance to mess with it at all as of yet.

Other than that, though - within the last year I moved from doing one part of the new applications processing to another, and now I've been losing knowledge of the old stuff I did as I learned the new. So I asked my boss if I could still do some of the old stuff from time to time to try and stay fresh. Plus, it helps to do something different now and then.

06-01-2017, 11:33 AM (This post was last modified: 06-01-2017 11:45 AM by GirlyMan.)
(05-01-2017 09:13 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  Does anyone have any tips?

I'm feeling the same way but fortunately I am within 18 months of retirement so I'm hoping I can at least fake it for that long.

I've been giving nootropics a go recently (racetams and dopamine primarily, with other supporting supplements in my cornucopia of pharmacopoeia). Also trying binaural auditory hallucinations instead of white noise. They're pretty weird if nothing else.

Some low frequencies have been purported to support sleep.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
06-01-2017, 12:05 PM
(05-01-2017 09:57 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I had an office job for two weeks once. It was horrible. I can't fathom doing that for 10 years Tongue

Heh. Tongue Well, what can I say, I'm a masochist. Flex Hobo Big Grin

(06-01-2017 11:33 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(05-01-2017 09:13 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  Does anyone have any tips?

I'm feeling the same way but fortunately I am within 18 months of retirement so I'm hoping I can at least fake it for that long.

I've been giving nootropics a go recently (racetams and dopamine primarily, with other supporting supplements in my cornucopia of pharmacopoeia). Also trying binaural auditory hallucinations instead of white noise. They're pretty weird if nothing else.

Some low frequencies have been purported to support sleep.

Thanks, Girly. Smile Glad to know I'm not the only one in this boat. Only I got waaay more than 18 months left. Tongue

06-01-2017, 08:54 PM
What about changing jobs within the company? Working for a promotion?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user