Lacrosse anyone?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-06-2013, 12:49 PM
Lacrosse anyone?
Mens or womens?

I am new to the lax world and don't play myself but will probably end up at least helping the kids practice. I want to get my daughters playing. It's just beginning to catch on around here (NC). There's a local place doing kids camps and recreation league. I'm hoping to eventually get enough interest to start a team at their school but we have awhile to go.

Today the guy that runs the summer camps dropped off 2 new sticks, balls, tee shirts, and water bottles for my kids--for free!!

Tomorrow we are going to our first MLL game.

anyway- just wondering if anyone else plays or is involved in some way.

Be excellent to each other and party on, Dudes!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-06-2013, 03:42 PM
RE: Lacrosse anyone?
I got really excited when I heard that it was Hockey on Grass. Then I found out it wasn't that kind of grass. Dodgy

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
24-06-2013, 06:00 PM
Johns Hopkins, Maryland, Loyola, Towson, you can't live in Maryland without loving lacrosse. Hell it's our State team sport. (Jousting being our State individual sport. Blink ) And what other sport could Towson and Loyola break the top 20. You ain't even heard of them if you live outside Maryland unless you follow lacrosse. ... And who don't like a sport that uses decapitated human heads as balls. Big Grin

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
24-06-2013, 06:05 PM
I was surprised to find a MLL team here in Charlotte. We went to our first game on Saturday and the hounds beat Chesapeake in OT. It was exciting.

I'm hooked- hoping my girls will be too.

Be excellent to each other and party on, Dudes!
24-06-2013, 06:16 PM
(24-06-2013 06:00 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Johns Hopkins, Maryland, Loyola, Towson, you can't live in Maryland without loving lacrosse. Hell it's our State team sport. (Jousting being our State individual sport. Blink ) And what other sport could Towson and Loyola break the top 20. You ain't even heard of them if you live outside Maryland unless you follow lacrosse. ... And who don't like a sport that uses decapitated human heads as balls. Big Grin

I live in MD and find LAX boring.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
25-06-2013, 06:49 AM
I used to play box lacrosse when I was younger, but never touched the outdoor stuff, so I can't really make any comments on it. Wink

They way I've always understood it is that traditional outdoor lacrosse is like soccer with some basketball and hockey thrown in.
Box lacrosse is pretty much hockey minus the ice and skates.

[Image: ae1n9c.jpg]
15-07-2013, 06:02 AM
I'm not surprised there's a MLL team in Charlotte. Keep in mind that NC has the University of North Carolina and Duke lax teams to follow in the best lax conference in college sports (the ACC). I wish UMD's lax team could stay in that league, but change is constant in college athletics nowadays.

I'm not a huge lax fan - never played it - but do watch games occasionally. My impression is that it's more or less a cross between hockey (power plays, on-the-fly substitutions, small goal) and soccer (on a large field, lots of running).

The mid-Atlantic and northeast are the hotbeds of lacrosse, but its popularity is spreading elsewhere. I think part of the reason is that it's a sport with a fair bit of scoring, a large field, a lot of contact (at least on the men's side) but isn't nearly as dangerous as American football.
15-07-2013, 12:27 PM
Is that the sport with the butterfly nets?

[Image: mrhanky.jpg]

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...