Lady Jane's and Jenny's Gorge Fest

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
25-10-2015, 01:48 PM
RE: What did you eat today?
Turkey jerky and frito pies. And a banana.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
25-10-2015, 07:08 PM
Breakfast: Two eggs, two strips of bacon, two sausages, home fries, English muffin, coffee. Drinking Beverage

Lunch: Mountain Dew. Dodgy

Dinner: Two English muffins with butter and orange marmalade, and a glass of milk. Drooling

Now: A Mounds bar. Big Grin

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
25-10-2015, 10:25 PM
Because today is Sunday (one of only two "meat" days a week), I made borscht, the hearty, beefy-tomatoey Russian recipe from The Joy of Cooking .... lots of cabbage, carrots, onion, celery. Crushed garlic and red wine vinegar and lemon juice to season

Roasting the beets is key, as is sauteing the diced vegetables before adding them to the stew...
Topped with sour cream and fresh dill, served with hearty whole wheat bread slathered in butter ...
A warm bowl on a blustery fall day was a great way to end the weekend.

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
[+] 1 user Likes Reducetarian's post
25-10-2015, 11:08 PM
Taco Bell, so I'm not really sure but it tasted great. Also some movie theater popcorn. Went and saw The Martian, which was awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes Dex's post
25-10-2015, 11:11 PM
(25-10-2015 10:25 PM)Reducetarian Wrote:  Because today is Sunday (one of only two "meat" days a week), I made borscht, the hearty, beefy-tomatoey Russian recipe from The Joy of Cooking .... lots of cabbage, carrots, onion, celery. Crushed garlic and red wine vinegar and lemon juice to season

Roasting the beets is key, as is sauteing the diced vegetables before adding them to the stew...
Topped with sour cream and fresh dill, served with hearty whole wheat bread slathered in butter ...

I didn't know you were a semi-vegetarian. Very cool Thumbsup
25-10-2015, 11:12 PM
(25-10-2015 11:08 PM)Dex Wrote:  Taco Bell, so I'm not really sure but it tasted great. Also some movie theater popcorn. Went and saw The Martian, which was awesome.

Definitely on my list of movies to see!
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
26-10-2015, 12:34 AM
Beef stir-fry earlier today, and red beans and rice right now, both homemade.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
26-10-2015, 12:05 PM
(25-10-2015 11:11 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(25-10-2015 10:25 PM)Reducetarian Wrote:  Because today is Sunday (one of only two "meat" days a week), I made borscht, the hearty, beefy-tomatoey Russian recipe from The Joy of Cooking .... lots of cabbage, carrots, onion, celery. Crushed garlic and red wine vinegar and lemon juice to season

I didn't know you were a semi-vegetarian. Very cool Thumbsup

Yes, I have been vegetarian in the past, and will probably go that route again, once I no longer need to cook for my mother, (who is elderly and does not digest soy or legumes well, which would normally be staples for us: getting her to eat any protein is a challenge).

I prefer to avoid much of the stridency and black/white thinking that characterizes some vegetarians/vegans (clearly not you, though Smile ). I like to remain flexible in social situations: that's why I'm a "reducetarian". I'll eat vegetarian when I have a choice (in restaurants), but would never claim to be a vegetarian when invited into someone's home ('cause I'll always eat what's in front of me). I try to use humanely treated/organic meats and sustainable fish whenever I do serve meat: it may be more expensive but it's almost always higher quality and better tasting.

I LOVE to cook, and my husband and I find that a plant-based diet suits us very well. It forces me to be more creative in the kitchen. I've hosted vegetarian dinners for vegetarian and carnivore friends that were a HUGE success, including a superb vegan borsch recipe similar to the one above. All it takes is time and creativity (and some great recipe books for inspiration!) but that's true of all good cooking.

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
[+] 1 user Likes Reducetarian's post
27-10-2015, 09:39 PM
Hmmm.

Well, I'm back on regular food after my medical fisting (colonoscopy- I'm officially an old man now, I guess) yesterday. Just well-cooked veggies and lean chicken breast that day, after the procedure.

Breakfast today- Greek yogurt (no sugary substances added) green tea and applesauce.
Snack at my wood carving class- a fucking glazed old-fashioned doughnut and a healthy banana. Can't be good all the time. Weeping
Lunch today- braised chicken (about the size of two of you thumbs) and some squash cooked along with it. Green tea, again. Fuck, I am hungry. Sadcryface2
Dinner today, braised chicken (again, about the size of two of your thumbs), with some red-skin potatoes and more veggies.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
27-10-2015, 09:45 PM
I had an almond latte, left over tofu, a huge bolani (like pizza sized) and a container of hummus. So good! Drooling