Lake of fire

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-02-2014, 05:51 AM
Lake of fire
Since I fail so much in biblical literacy I want somebody to explain to me what is lake of fire and who is gonna go there and what is happening to the ones who go there.
http://www.openbible.info/topics/lake_of_fire
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-02-2014, 05:58 AM
RE: Lake of fire
'Lake of fire' could be a good name for a chilli sauce.
[+] 4 users Like Mathilda's post
27-02-2014, 05:59 AM
Quote:Revelation 20:10
And the devil who had deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and sulfur where the beast and the false prophet were, and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

So here are some dudes who are gonna go there and be tormented forever and ever.

Quote: Revelation 21:8
But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.

Here are the people who also gonna go there.

Seems like a place of torture to me. Or is it something else?
27-02-2014, 08:22 AM
Actually the lake of fire & sulfur sounds like these natural hot springs I went to in Jasper, Alberta.
They smelled of sulfur and were essentially very hot (fire) water.

So hell is a natural hot springs resort. We had a great time there.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
27-02-2014, 08:24 AM
Where are all the pussy christians? I need some interpretations yo.
27-02-2014, 08:39 AM
Eh, it depends on who you ask. Rob Bell is a big proponent of Hell being a literal dumping grounds outside of Jerusalem that contemporary people from the area would have understood (and the rest of us forgot for 2,000 years?). So, all that fire stuff is either metaphorical and/or talking about burning trash. The wailing and gnashing of teeth is dogs fighting over scraps.

Basically, it's an exceptional example of cherry picking, with the end goal being to show that there is no hell and we all go to heaven.
27-02-2014, 09:18 AM
(27-02-2014 08:39 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Eh, it depends on who you ask. Rob Bell is a big proponent of Hell being a literal dumping grounds outside of Jerusalem that contemporary people from the area would have understood (and the rest of us forgot for 2,000 years?). So, all that fire stuff is either metaphorical and/or talking about burning trash. The wailing and gnashing of teeth is dogs fighting over scraps.

Basically, it's an exceptional example of cherry picking, with the end goal being to show that there is no hell and we all go to heaven.

Quote:And the devil who had deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and sulfur where the beast and the false prophet were, and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.
Now what does it mean?
27-02-2014, 09:41 AM
(27-02-2014 09:18 AM)donotwant Wrote:  
Quote:And the devil who had deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and sulfur where the beast and the false prophet were, and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.
Now what does it mean?

If I weren't so lazy, I'd grab his book Love Wins and try to look that up. I know he was big on saying that Jesus used lots of parables and metaphors to describe stuff, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it's a metaphor. That, or he might handwave Revelation because it wasn't explicitly quoting Jesus, or something.

I admitted it's a bunch of poorly hidden cherry picking. I'm not saying it makes sense. I'm just saying that if you ask "what's hellfire?" the answers you get will run the gamut of "a metaphor" to "an actual place where wicked people go" to "stupid iron-age mythology".

I lean toward the last one, personally.
27-02-2014, 09:43 AM
Interesting choice of metaphor. So if being tormented day and night forever and ever is not being tormented day and night forever and ever then what is it?
This is from book of revelation and people take it seriously so they can't throw this one out the window.
27-02-2014, 09:52 AM
(27-02-2014 09:43 AM)donotwant Wrote:  Interesting choice of metaphor. So if being tormented day and night forever and ever is not being tormented day and night forever and ever then what is it?
This is from book of revelation and people take it seriously so they can't throw this one out the window.

He has a narrative he wants to support. Of course, his source material is full of contradictory information. Let the cherry picking commence!

Now, personally, I prefer the idea of a God that doesn't utilize hell compared to one that does, but one would have to question why Jesus was so fond of really misleading metaphors. On a side note, I giggled when I read a Christian review on this book, warning people that it is heresy, and that there is not enough evidence to show that his world view is correct. The irony of that was not lost on me.