Lake of fire

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-02-2014, 09:56 AM
RE: Lake of fire
Quote:Revelation 20:10
And the devil who had deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and sulfur where the beast and the false prophet were, and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.
What does it mean? Can somebody answer me?
And who said it in the christian worldview?
Is John saying what jesus said or is he making his own shit up now?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-02-2014, 10:08 AM
donotwant, . . . different denominations will answer the question in different ways. When I was a christian, my denomination pretty much equated "Hell" with "the Lake of Fire". It is a place where "those who are unsaved will go, after receiving a body that cannot be consumed so that it will feel the fire for eternity". Of course, . . . the fact that Hell had a specific purpose [found in the bible], I often laugh when a christian will tell someone, "you're going to Hell if you don't believe". It just isn't the case.

As for "the Lake of Fire", . . . I do not see it as I once did. I wrote a book, as I was trying to work my way through my religious beliefs [which ultimately I left that religion, and all religions for that matter] and one of my chapters focused on Revelation. I listed all the obviously metaphorical imageries listed in the chapters of that book and was struck at the number of them. So, having that in mind, I also saw "the Lake of Fire" as being equally as metaphorical.

It's a story. A way for a "holy gotcha" to those who were hurting christians at that time. It was written DURING a specific time . . . yet today, christians believe it to be "of the future". It just isn't the case. It makes FAR more sense when you place all this imagery in that time period.

I'm not sure if that helps any, but it is my post for this topic. :-)
[+] 1 user Likes DeavonReye's post
27-02-2014, 10:59 AM
So if christianity would be true nobody would be thrown into lake of fire to get tormented forever and ever?
I think those 2 verses were very specific that beast and sorcerers and unbelievers are gonna go into lake of fire. And what happens to the ones that are in the lake of fire? They get tormented forever and ever.

If it is not the case then what does it mean?
27-02-2014, 12:21 PM
(27-02-2014 05:51 AM)donotwant Wrote:  Since I fail so much in biblical literacy I want somebody to explain to me what is lake of fire and who is gonna go there and what is happening to the ones who go there.
http://www.openbible.info/topics/lake_of_fire
My understanding of the lake of fire is it's supposed to be hell. And hell is either a literal place of eternal fire where people's souls burn for eternity or it's an eternal separation from God which itself causes pain as bad as or worse than literal fire.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
27-02-2014, 12:23 PM
So in both cases it's eternal suffering and those people who say that people either go to heaven or die are making new religion.
27-02-2014, 12:24 PM
Yes, that's correct.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
27-02-2014, 12:28 PM
So I understood it correctly. Good so my bible literacy doesn't suck THAT much. Apparently those people tried to bullshit me and themselves at the same time.
27-02-2014, 12:45 PM
(27-02-2014 12:28 PM)donotwant Wrote:  So I understood it correctly. Good so my bible literacy doesn't suck THAT much. Apparently those people tried to bullshit me and themselves at the same time.
Honestly I'm not sure. What I told you was my understanding of it and what I know is a common understanding of it. However, those who have spent a great deal of time studying the Bible may have more insight into what it likely "really" means. For all I know, what I was taught may have been some gross misinterpretation.

27-02-2014, 01:04 PM
Quote:Revelation 20:10
And the devil who had deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and sulfur where the beast and the false prophet were, and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

We have quote right in front of us.
Now how do you interpret it in such a way that it does not result in eternal suffering for false prophets for instance?
It seems to be pretty clear LOL.
27-02-2014, 01:11 PM
And if that verse is the result of a madman? That means it HAS no meaning to it outside of, perhaps, "some mildly interesting ancient literature". I think this is FAR more likely than it being "a literal place".

We can contemplate what it would be a metaphore for, but I would guess that the original intent is long since lost in time.