Land's End Pulls Equal Rights Message Because... Religious Backlash

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-03-2016, 07:39 AM
RE: Land's End Pulls Equal Rights Message Because... Religious Backlash
(03-03-2016 06:55 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Lands End is owned by Sears. It was purchased a few years ago but still runs under the Lands End name. Maybe Sears should be getting some blow back over this.

My best friend and her husband work at Lands End, according to them a lot of things have changed since the purchase was made.

Thanks, I forgot about that. I will get an email to corp today. Smile

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2016, 05:56 PM
(03-03-2016 07:04 AM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  
(03-03-2016 06:35 AM)Chas Wrote:  Really? You're going to need to provide actual evidence for that.

They have every legal right men have +

They also have the legal right to vote without conscripting; men don't.

There is currently no conscription. And if it comes back it will likely include women.

Quote:They also have the legal right to genital integrity; boys don't.

Boys do - it's their parents' idiotic choice to violate it.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-03-2016, 06:23 PM
(03-03-2016 05:56 PM)Chas Wrote:  There is currently no conscription. And if it comes back it will likely include women.

Yes, there is. Men between the age of 18 and 25 are required to register with the selective service. This is conscription. There's a whole host of federal programs available to women by default which are only available to men after they register (we even had a thread about it recently that you can find if you search 'conscription.' I cannot post links right now.) Failiure to register is a felony, and felons are not eligible to vote in most states.

Quote:Boys do - it's their parents' idiotic choice to violate it.

It is legal to perfom genital mutilation on boys in the US when one parent says 'go ahead' (I will not use the term 'consent' since it's impossible to consent for another human.'). It is completely illegal, however, as mandated by law, to perfom genital mutilation on girls in the US. This is a legal right afforded to females that is not afforded to males.

Get your facts straight.
03-03-2016, 06:26 PM
I may not fully agree with Gilgamesh on all points he has not yet made, or interpret all the same way, but...

(03-03-2016 05:56 PM)Chas Wrote:  There is currently no conscription. And if it comes back it will likely include women.

I disagree, at least if it were to happen within the next 5 years or so. If they plan on having that as an option then they should be collecting registrations now. Close to impossible to change 'on a dime'. Preparations need to be made. I don't think women would be required to if it came down to it soon. There is nothing in the works that I'm aware of at the federal level for this issue, so I have no reason to believe it's probable.

(03-03-2016 05:56 PM)Chas Wrote:  Boys do - it's their parents' idiotic choice to violate it.

If a parent can take it away because the feel like it, and with no other reason it's a pretty weak 'right'. Girls seem to have a much stronger 'right' in this arena. Can you imagine asking the doctor to mutilate the genitals of your new baby girl? They'd take her away from you and lock you up in a mad house.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
03-03-2016, 06:32 PM
(03-03-2016 12:12 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(27-02-2016 11:40 AM)morondog Wrote:  That's some pretty crap strategy from marketing department

Is it though?

Up until 5 minutes ago, I'd never heard of either Lands' End or Gloria Steinem.

Now I have.

Job well done, Marketing Department ... have a pay rise.

Angel

YOU have never heard of Gloria Steinem?

Shocking

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
03-03-2016, 06:46 PM
(03-03-2016 06:26 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  I may not fully agree with Gilgamesh on all points he has not yet made, or interpret all the same way, but...

I disagree, at least if it were to happen within the next 5 years or so. If they plan on having that as an option then they should be collecting registrations now. Close to impossible to change 'on a dime'. Preparations need to be made. I don't think women would be required to if it came down to it soon. There is nothing in the works that I'm aware of at the federal level for this issue, so I have no reason to believe it's probable.

(03-03-2016 05:56 PM)Chas Wrote:  Boys do - it's their parents' idiotic choice to violate it.

If a parent can take it away because the feel like it, and with no other reason it's a pretty weak 'right'. Girls seem to have a much stronger 'right' in this arena. Can you imagine asking the doctor to mutilate the genitals of your new baby girl? They'd take her away from you and lock you up in a mad house.

What is legal and what is reality is often two different things.

http://news.trust.org//item/?map=female-...es-report/

As well as the fact that male circumcision is not the same procedure as female genital mutilation. That's like saying a tummy tuck is the same as an organ removal surgery.

(btw, I did not have my son circumcised 26yrs ago as I do not approve of the procedure unless medically necessary).

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
03-03-2016, 07:11 PM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2016 07:33 PM by Chas.)
(03-03-2016 06:23 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  

Yes, there is. Men between the age of 18 and 25 are required to register with the selective service. This is conscription.

No, it isn't. It is registration. Get your facts straight.

Quote:There's a whole host of federal programs available to women by default which are only available to men after they register (we even had a thread about it recently that you can find if you search 'conscription.' I cannot post links right now.) Failiure to register is a felony, and felons are not eligible to vote in most states.

Quote:Boys do - it's their parents' idiotic choice to violate it.

It is legal to perfom genital mutilation on boys in the US when one parent says 'go ahead' (I will not use the term 'consent' since it's impossible to consent for another human.'). It is completely illegal, however, as mandated by law, to perfom genital mutilation on girls in the US. This is a legal right afforded to females that is not afforded to males.

Get your facts straight.

OK, I agree that is absurd, except it happens in the U.S.

"In response to advocacy by Equality Now, Safe Hands for Girls, and other civil society partners, in January
2016 the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ (HHS) Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
(CDC) published a new study about the number of women and girls who are at risk of FGM or have undergone
FGM in the U.S. According to the study, an estimated 513,000 women and girls in the U.S. have undergone
or are at risk of being subjected to FGM, which is more than three times higher than an earlier estimate
based on 1990 data. The Population Reference Bureau also conducted a nationwide prevalence study on
FGM, released in February 2015 that estimates up to 507,000 women and girls living in the U.S. are at risk of
or have undergone FGM and also provides prevalence rates by state and metropolitan area. Both studies
have made clear that we need more detailed information on specifics surrounding women and girls affected
or at risk of FGM in the US."

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-03-2016, 07:34 PM
(03-03-2016 06:46 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(03-03-2016 06:26 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  I may not fully agree with Gilgamesh on all points he has not yet made, or interpret all the same way, but...

What is legal and what is reality is often two different things.

As well as the fact that male circumcision is not the same procedure as female genital mutilation. That's like saying a tummy tuck is the same as an organ removal surgery.

(btw, I did not have my son circumcised 26yrs ago as I do not approve of the procedure unless medically necessary).

This is all about what is legal, so long as the laws are enforced. You cannot go to a hospital in the US, give birth to a little girl, and have her clit chopped off. Just because there are people finding way around the law doesn't make it a right. If it did I'd also have the right to steal, rape, and murder, so long as I can either not get caught doing it, or by finding a place outside my home country which allowed it. And yes, there are places that are tolerant of rape and murder if justified by that countries religious laws.

I'm not naive enough to believe that cutting off foreskin and cutting off the clit is the same thing, and yes, the girls have it worse. It is the closest possible comparison and they should be treated with the same amount of contempt though, IMO. If adults want to chop their own bits off, or if there is a medical need to chop bits off, so be it.

[+] 3 users Like Dark Light's post
03-03-2016, 07:46 PM
(03-03-2016 07:34 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(03-03-2016 06:46 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  What is legal and what is reality is often two different things.

This is all about what is legal, so long as the laws are enforced. You cannot go to a hospital in the US, give birth to a little girl, and have her clit chopped off. Just because there are people finding way around the law doesn't make it a right. If it did I'd also have the right to steal, rape, and murder, so long as I can either not get caught doing it, or by finding a place outside my home country which allowed it. And yes, there are places that are tolerant of rape and murder if justified by that countries religious laws.

I'm not naive enough to believe that cutting off foreskin and cutting off the clit is the same thing, and yes, the girls have it worse. It is the closest possible comparison and they should be treated with the same amount of contempt though, IMO. If adults want to chop their own bits off, or if there is a medical need to chop bits off, so be it.

Well said. This has nothing to do with whether the extra legal rights women have are justified; it only has to do with that they indeed do have more legal rights than men, and how this fact is processed by people who say they want women to have equal rights (ie LESS.)

Women and men have different genitalia, obviously, so law that has language specifically concerning what type of genitalia it refers is possibly apt. In the US they have such a law which criminalizes FGM. Whether you think FGM and circumsision are just as bad as the other; there is no question chopping at someone elses genitalia should be illegal no matter what the genitalia looks like. It should be illegal to do this to baby boys who cannot consent, barring medical reasons.
[+] 2 users Like Gilgamesh's post
03-03-2016, 07:54 PM
(03-03-2016 06:55 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Lands End is owned by Sears. It was purchased a few years ago but still runs under the Lands End name. Maybe Sears should be getting some blow back over this.

My best friend and her husband work at Lands End, according to them a lot of things have changed since the purchase was made.

Sears is slowly circling the drain and has been for years now. It's hard to imagine to me a world where Sears doesn't exist but anytime I've gone in there to shop I never find anything I really want to buy -- which could be the problem. But then I remember Emporium Capwell, Bollocks, Levitz furniture, Tower Records, even FAO Schwartz, Gemco...

I dunno...Sears is like what the oldest or one of the oldest, it's a pity they've been mismanaged to this point.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post