Landlord question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-11-2012, 04:08 PM
Landlord question
Hi, I have been looking online but can't so far find a clear answer to my question so just wondered if anyone knows about tenants rights...

I rent a flat in the UK. We've had some electrical work done by workers that my landlord sent round, to me it seems a bit dodgy and.potentially unsafe,.and i'm not particularly happy with the quality. I asked my landlord to send round an electrician whose qualifications I could verify and check before they started making repairs, ie. I don't want the same people, I want the real deal to do a thorough job. He says I don't have the right to see proof of their qualifications etc but I'm fairly sure I do, and when I mentioned the possibility of going to the council if the job wasn't done properly then he got angry and basically said I can like it or lump it and leave, which I want to avoid as finding a decent place can be hard. I'll speak to Citizens Advice to find out my rights, but until they're open has anyone been through anything similar, and what are my rights regarding dodgy tradesmen used by landlords?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-11-2012, 07:11 PM
RE: Landlord question
I think there is only a half-dozen or so UKians (yeah, I did it, UKians) that are active on the forum. The odds that any of 'em are knowledgeable about contractual agreements between landlords and tenets are pretty slim. Good luck!

In any case you should probably review the contract yourself. You may find that it is in the contract, though I doubt it. If this doesn't help you could search for the applicable housing laws yourself, but your best bet is to hire a lawyer. If cash is an issue you may find help from a law student or paralegal.

17-11-2012, 07:23 PM
Landlord question
In the US, people who work on houses are supposed to have a contractor's license. It's a public record that you could even look up in each state to find if someone is licensed and bonded. If they're not, they can be reported. So at least if your situation happened here, you'd be fully within your rights to ask for their credentials. Plus, if something goes wrong, it's going to happen to you first, so I'd be extra keen on getting this stuff done correctly.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
17-11-2012, 08:33 PM
Yeah this shouldn't be a tenet, landlord issue, this should be a "is the tradesmen qualified and if he did a shit job he should repair his work (under fair trading act and consumer rights act or whatever the UK's equivalent are, he is legally binding that if the work is faulty he must repair it or refund the money)".

This shouldn't be an issue for your landlord, he only needs to phone them back up and inform them of their crappy workmanship. If they refuse then he can take legal action. Plus I'm not sure but there is probably something about your landlord having to ensure there is a reasonable (law loves that word reasonable) level of safety. So it is beneficial to your landlord to follow this up.

It sounds like your landlord is a complete fucktard.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
17-11-2012, 09:07 PM
Thanks everyone - basically he does things on the cheap, and these people left exposed wires and hanging sockets next to the boiler, they're cheap labour and can't speak a word of english. I live at the top of a block and think this is a fire hazard and I want a Part P qualified electritian (which I think is what you need to work on electrics) who speaks english and can show me their ID to safely fix it. Surely if there's any common sense I shoukd have a right to see this! Thanks for your input everyone Smile
17-11-2012, 09:07 PM
Landlord question
And when it comes to fucktards, Muffsy's your man!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  I have a homosexual question and incest question? Kvitnar 60 1,224 16-07-2014 04:42 AM
Last Post: Shadow Fox
  cjlr - I have a question for you Anjele 2 92 19-05-2014 07:25 PM
Last Post: Anjele
  A question about medical appointment in the West. HU.Junyuan 14 208 09-03-2014 01:07 PM
Last Post: Mindy Mansauce
  Show Opening Question DLPeeler 8 637 30-01-2014 09:22 AM
Last Post: PabloM
  I bet nobody on this website can answer this question. TheThirdEye 133 2,748 15-01-2014 05:15 PM
Last Post: Monster_Riffs
  I bet nobody on this website can answer this question. No. 2 Vosur 16 458 12-01-2014 04:51 AM
Last Post: Dark Light
  Travel Question--Attractions between Charlotte & Chicago Bows and Arrows 3 150 31-12-2013 02:46 AM
Last Post: Colourcraze