Landlordism Causes Homelessness

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-03-2017, 12:32 PM
RE: Landlordism Causes Homelessness
(23-03-2017 11:49 AM)natachan Wrote:  ... But if you want to know, yes, I think millionaires and billionaires should be able to enjoy their wealth. I think that is important in order to encourage innovation and reward those who do innovate. The current list of richest people in the US includes innovators like Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg.

I'd agree with you that people such as Gates and Zuckerberg have worked their arses off to get where they are, but I still think we need much higher tax rates for the billionaire class. Obviously an income tax of even 90% wouldn't affect these guys life-style by one iota—Gates' net worth is currently US$86.6 billion, and rising.

As far as higher tax rates acting as a disincentive against entrepreneurial input, I'm not sure that makes sense. It wasn't solely any potential financial return that drove Gates onward. And if he was only today worth US$8.6 billion (with 90% taxation), do you think—in hindsight—that would've slowed him down? Not one bit. Same with the 32-year-old Zuckerberg—who, incidentally, I consider to have added absolutely nothing of substance to the world, and is now worth $58.5 billion.

(And yes; I know my US$8.6 b estimate has to be very rubbery as far as compounding earnings with a tax of 90% goes. It's only illustrative.))

Quote:These men DESERVE their wealth, and I would not begrudge them it. They have improved my quality of life immensely, and I am happy for them.

Granted, they deserve some of their wealth, but do Gates and Zuckerberg "deserve" all of their obscene wealth. Wouldn't you agree that Xerox and IBM would have inevitably further developed the DOS/GUI interface assuming Gates and Jobs hadn't poached the technology? (Jobs "stole" the original mouse model from Doug Englebart at SRI.)

Can I ask how Mark Zuckerberg has improved your life "immensely"? And please don't cite the fermenting disaster that is Facebook.

One also has to remember that these sorts of guys get fabulously wealthy by taking your money and my money out of our pockets, continuously, for something often as nebulous as a 25¢ disk upgrade. In effect we, the buying public, have made them what they are today. Don't they owe the state/society something above and beyond as just return for that—like an increased taxation rate?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
23-03-2017, 12:38 PM
SYZ, that is so dead on!
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post
23-03-2017, 01:01 PM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2017 01:26 PM by Fred Hampton.)
(23-03-2017 11:49 AM)natachan Wrote:  It's Ms. nata, but let's move on

No, communism does NOT work. There are reasons there are so few around today, and the ones that do currently exist are considered hell holes. In a communist society resource control needs to be centralized, and while this is fine in small groups it leads to problems with larger ones. Part of that is the fact that society contains a certain percentage of assholes. As your society gets larger the sheer number of assholes gets larger. When you centralize power and you have a large number of assholes those assholes who crave power are going to exploit that. It gets a bit more complicated, but your end result is simply that it does not work at large scales.

Now I'm not sure what "Keynesian" tax systems are, but if the one I propose looks like that whatever. I based it on current data for income disparity and tax rates. That is what the data seems to suggest would work. Effective tax rates much above 60% cause problems of their own and seem to stifle growth and innovation. Effective tax rates below about 40% increase income inequality. My proposed 60% is a drastic action meant to start the shift towards major changes that need to be made so that later adjustments can be made that will be more favorable.

I find it odd that you say I love the super rich when what I am proposing would more than double their effective tax rate. In many cases more than that, since the taxes on capital gains are almost nothing. But if you want to know, yes, I think millionaires and billionaires should be able to enjoy their wealth. I think that is important in order to encourage innovation and reward those who do innovate. The current list of richest people in the US includes innovators like Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg. These men DESERVE their wealth, and I would not begrudge them it. They have improved my quality of life immensely, and I am happy for them. Others on that list got there by stock trading, and an increase such as I would put on high frequency trading and the hike of the capital gains tax would DEVASTATE these people's wealth. It would be no more.

Changes that I've proposed would decrease income inequality, increase quality of life for all, and still not quash innovation.
I guess you live in your own little personal "world". Well, I'm glad that world helps keep you going. Thanks for sharing your OPINION on the subject. Hey, IF and when you get tired of your communist Soc Sec checks, I'd be more than happy to take them off your hands. Wink Don't work in any of those communist unions, either, it would be counter, your "personal little world". Go suck on a billionaire's peepee, I'm sure you love it. Wink Maybe he'll 'throw you a bone' someday, and you'd love that too.

Here, I'll let my secretary 'Chloe' file your reply:
[Image: cat_in_garbage_can.jpg]
23-03-2017, 01:14 PM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2017 01:28 PM by Fred Hampton.)
TTA Court:

Mom: "Mr. Hampton, do you have proof of your allegation that 'THEY', the 'hateful anti-commies', as you say, travel in 'GANGS'"?

FH: "Yes, Your Momoror, I DO, I DO have proof!":

[Image: image_10.png]

Mom: "The court moves to dismiss all charges against Mr. Hampton."
23-03-2017, 01:19 PM
Still looking for that elusive "T'ing"Atheist out there, there must be one, other than moi....(sigh).
23-03-2017, 01:22 PM
Hot diggity, I went from -10 "bad reps" to -9, woohoo! There's some wafflers out there!
23-03-2017, 01:34 PM
Drinking Beverage
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
23-03-2017, 01:35 PM
(23-03-2017 01:22 PM)Fred Hampton Wrote:  Hot diggity, I went from -10 "bad reps" to -9, woohoo! There's some wafflers out there!

oops, hit the wrong button.

#sigh
23-03-2017, 01:53 PM
(23-03-2017 01:35 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(23-03-2017 01:22 PM)Fred Hampton Wrote:  Hot diggity, I went from -10 "bad reps" to -9, woohoo! There's some wafflers out there!

oops, hit the wrong button.

Is that the first neg rep you've ever handed out?

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
23-03-2017, 01:57 PM
This thread makes me want to hurry up and buy that duplex near down town I've been thinking about so I can spend 6 months every year trying to evict a deadbeat tenant then another 3 fixing the shit they fucked up.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]