Language learning sites

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-04-2012, 08:43 AM
Language learning sites
I'm trying my hardest to get into French. My new partner's children only speak it. Currently he's busy enough that we don't really have time to work on it. I used ask.com a lot to help while working on Japanese, but I'm not sure of the best places to go since I'm not that good at french. Who has suggestions of free places on the net they like to go when working on a language? I'll find a forum to try later on, but right now I'm not yet ready to go that far.

Stilll Can't even handle talking with little kids =p

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2012, 09:11 AM
RE: Language learning sites
http://www.livemocha.com/ is the best. c:

"You don't disappoint me.... I think your much braver than you may believe."
bemore

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes legendoflink's post
03-04-2012, 09:15 AM
I have french as a second language, I learned as an adult. There are many free beginner sites, It's easy to find a couple decent ones. Ill look later and post them (since that's what you asked specifically for). I found what worked for me is using three or four sites to compare notes. First I learned pronunciation, then greetings and few very basic phrases- maybe 20 phrases total. I then worked on my vocabulary a little bit. After having a bit of that I worked on sentence structure. There are some beginner french books for children, my daughter brings them home from french immersion school, and they help a lot too. Basic sentences in a simple story (The cat goes in the box, out the door.... stuff like that. Food at my grandmas, basic conversation type of deal) Any library would have them. A basic IRL 6 week course will set you off, too! Worth the investment. I bet if you took a course alongside being submerged in the french culture you will learn fast!

After I am comfortably fluent I am going to attempt either Japanese or Mandarin Chinese. I LOVE the way Japanese sounds but Chinese is more useful in the bigger world, maybe. You speak Japanese, don't you? I'll be asking you for tips, maybe! Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
03-04-2012, 09:16 AM
I'm in the process of learning Japanese, right now.

Haven't advanced very far though, because of school and my lack of a laptop. Sad

bemore

[+] 1 user Likes legendoflink's post
03-04-2012, 09:18 AM
(03-04-2012 09:16 AM)xLegendofLink096x Wrote:  I'm in the process of learning Japanese, right now.

Haven't advanced very far though, because of school and my lack of a laptop. Sad

Was that your dad with the .45?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
03-04-2012, 09:20 AM
(03-04-2012 09:18 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(03-04-2012 09:16 AM)xLegendofLink096x Wrote:  I'm in the process of learning Japanese, right now.

Was that your dad with the .45?

No. But my dad said that it would have been if he had a gun. O__O

bemore

03-04-2012, 09:53 AM
I actually took a class on the game second life at a Japanese language learning school (a japanese school not a school for the language). It was very interesting to have my introduction to french taught in Japanese. I'm still getting used to it, but I do have a lot of the basics down.

Chinese is a much bigger step than Japanese is, but I would probably suggest chinese first. The pronounciations are quite different. Learing Chinese will make the most complicated part of Japanese (kanji) quite a bit easier.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
03-04-2012, 11:10 AM
I've been casually learning Japanese for a little over a year now. I don't use it often enough to learn fast. I was going through the Pimsleur Japanese tapes and Tae Kim's guide. They're very helpful in learning. I still struggle with Hiragana and Katakana because I don't use them enough. Besides that, vocab and Kanji are my biggest problems right now. That and frequency of use... I tend to forget what I have learned until I refresh myself.

I also want to learn Spanish, because living in Florida, it would be very useful.
03-04-2012, 11:55 AM
I suggest you get into manga or anime. While not the most proper use of the language it's a great way to keep your skills together without feeling that all you're doing is studying.

Sadly my current best source of french tutoring is pokemon =p The girls love it way too much.

LiveMocha is looking quite good so far. I'll be there a lot I suspect.

[+] 1 user Likes Lilith Pride's post
03-04-2012, 12:36 PM
Get yourself a library card. Now that you're an honorary Canadian make yourself familiar with the library.

I know you can get the rosetta stone language courses out here in BC. Rated highly, though I had the Japanese one once upon a time ago and hated it.

I tried to teach myself Japanese, Mandorin, and English. So far the best I can do is gibberish, but I hope to someday be able to speak and write english without stumbling.

Japanese wasn't the hardest, I had more trouble with Mandorin and French. I had to take french for a whole ton of years because of my country of origin. I hate french. I also took German. I hate that one too. Useless languages. I wish we'd had a Japanese or Chinese dialects course in my schools.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post