Laptop or desktop????

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-07-2015, 07:16 PM
Laptop or desktop????
Hi everyone,

My younger son needs a glorified Facebook/YouTube, internet surfing and homework...type computer. He's the one on the spectrum, so his interests are very limited (narrow).

So, I'm looking for an inexpensive ($400 or less), desktop or laptop type of computer. Seriously, nothing fancy...he's not into games.

I'd prefer he get a Mac, but I'll be honest I'm not spending the money on one...

My older son has ideas but laptops aren't his thing...Right now, he's thinking maybe a laptop is a better value.

So, I'm tossing this out to you.

Right now, kiddo is using our old Mac. He likes it, but it can't be updated anymore. It's not worth the money to buy more ram for it -- because it's just so old and slow.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-07-2015, 07:28 PM
RE: Laptop or desktop????
Desktops are cheaper easier to maintain and generally last much longer. If he does not nee to transport the computer places it is always better to go with a desktop.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
13-07-2015, 07:29 PM
(13-07-2015 07:16 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Hi everyone,

My younger son needs a glorified Facebook/YouTube, internet surfing and homework...type computer. He's the one on the spectrum, so his interests are very limited (narrow).

So, I'm looking for an inexpensive ($400 or less), desktop or laptop type of computer. Seriously, nothing fancy...he's not into games.

I'd prefer he get a Mac, but I'll be honest I'm not spending the money on one...

My older son has ideas but laptops aren't his thing...Right now, he's thinking maybe a laptop is a better value.

Right now, kiddo is using our old Mac. He likes it, but it can't be updated anymore. It's not worth the money to buy more ram for it -- because it's just so old and slow.

I love my laptop...I can't remember the last time I turned on my desktop PC.

If you aren't needing much other than the ability to surf FB and Youtube, a laptop is handy. If you travel, it can go with him.

Mine is about 7 years old now and I had it built the way I wanted it. Now I could buy better off the shelf for half the price.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
13-07-2015, 07:38 PM
(13-07-2015 07:28 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Desktops are cheaper easier to maintain and generally last much longer. If he does not nee to transport the computer places it is always better to go with a desktop.

He really doesn't need to need to take it anywhere.

Any suggestions on what to buy specifically?

13-07-2015, 07:41 PM
(13-07-2015 07:29 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(13-07-2015 07:16 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Hi everyone,

I love my laptop...I can't remember the last time I turned on my desktop PC.

If you aren't needing much other than the ability to surf FB and Youtube, a laptop is handy. If you travel, it can go with him.

Mine is about 7 years old now and I had it built the way I wanted it. Now I could buy better off the shelf for half the price.

It would also be a space saver I imagine. Price is important because I really don't want to spend much -- because of what he'll use it for.

I'm already putting off my new iPad (yes, I've thought about just getting him one of those).

What kind would you buy if you had to replace yours??

13-07-2015, 07:44 PM
(13-07-2015 07:38 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(13-07-2015 07:28 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Desktops are cheaper easier to maintain and generally last much longer. If he does not nee to transport the computer places it is always better to go with a desktop.

He really doesn't need to need to take it anywhere.

Any suggestions on what to buy specifically?

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
13-07-2015, 07:47 PM
(13-07-2015 07:41 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(13-07-2015 07:29 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I love my laptop...I can't remember the last time I turned on my desktop PC.

It would also be a space saver I imagine. Price is important because I really don't want to spend much -- because of what he'll use it for.

I'm already putting off my new iPad (yes, I've thought about just getting him one of those).

What kind would you buy if you had to replace yours??

There are those who will disagree but I would get another HP. Mine has been nearly flawless in the years I have had it. All my school stuff was done on it and I haven't had any problems we weren't able to correct here at home.

I had a Dell and it was trouble all the time. But that was a long time ago, they may be much better now.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
13-07-2015, 07:48 PM
You can get an Android tablet for that price. I'd look at that, personally.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 2 users Like BnW's post
13-07-2015, 07:52 PM
(13-07-2015 07:48 PM)BnW Wrote:  You can get an Android tablet for that price. I'd look at that, personally.

Thought about but no. He needs a keyboard and mouse....

13-07-2015, 07:57 PM
Cheap laptops tend to overheat. I say desktop.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post