Laptop or desktop????

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-07-2015, 08:59 PM
RE: Laptop or desktop????
Desktops are fine and do tend to last a bit longer but they also draw more power and if he is working on homework when the power goes out then he can say bye bye to his work. I find having a laptop is much better. Especially with wanting to use a computer for lighter tasks its great. Also a lot better if you want to keep an eye on him, you can sit him down next to you on the couch instead of having to get up and walk over to him repeatedly. Also as Anj said, gives him the opportunity to take it on the go if that ever becomes a scenario. Also saves you the extra $100 + extra to buy a monitor.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
13-07-2015, 10:42 PM
Well if you want a cheap computer just to do things like facebook, youtube and such and he has no interest in games pretty much any generic HP, Acer, Dell, whatever, computer from a big named brand will do.

I'd say go with a laptop because it takes up less space and sure he might not take it places but he can move it room to room.

Nothing fancy but cheap and gets the job done would be along the lines of 2gb RAM, 500gb harddrive, 2.2ghz quad core intell standard thing, intel hd graphics card. Something like that.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
13-07-2015, 10:58 PM
(13-07-2015 10:42 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Well if you want a cheap computer just to do things like facebook, youtube and such and he has no interest in games pretty much any generic HP, Acer, Dell, whatever, computer from a big named brand will do.

I'd say go with a laptop because it takes up less space and sure he might not take it places but he can move it room to room.

Nothing fancy but cheap and gets the job done would be along the lines of 2gb RAM, 500gb harddrive, 2.2ghz quad core intell standard thing, intel hd graphics card. Something like that.

Thanks Muffs that's a good point. Thanks also for specs...I'll pass it along to older son, because he gets that shit more than I do.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

14-07-2015, 04:52 AM
I recommend a laptop for portability, both room to room and in the car or if you're going somewhere with him and want a way to keep him amused for an hour or two. My son, who is also on the spectrum, loves his laptop (Mac Air). He uses a mouse instead of the track pad. It doesn't travel well in that it seems to have issues hooking into hotel internet systems, but he can still use it to watch movies, etc., in a hotel.

My Toshiba laptops have been extremely long-lived. I have one that is more than 10 years old and still functional.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
14-07-2015, 05:55 AM
Good thoughts already in the thread.
- Android tablets can be good value if the user is consuming content rather than creating it
- Next step up for me would be Chromebook, again for consumption only but in a laptop shape
- laptops allow content creation as well. The completion from tablets has made them pretty cheap but figuring out specs can be painful. Laptops also give you a platform for gaming.
- Desktops are most upgradable and probably longest lasting. Good for machines you want to leave under a desk and forget about, upgrading every few years. Also good for keeping up with the latest if that's your thing or becomes your thing.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
14-07-2015, 06:18 AM
(13-07-2015 07:41 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(13-07-2015 07:29 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I love my laptop...I can't remember the last time I turned on my desktop PC.

If you aren't needing much other than the ability to surf FB and Youtube, a laptop is handy. If you travel, it can go with him.

Mine is about 7 years old now and I had it built the way I wanted it. Now I could buy better off the shelf for half the price.

It would also be a space saver I imagine. Price is important because I really don't want to spend much -- because of what he'll use it for.

I'm already putting off my new iPad (yes, I've thought about just getting him one of those).

What kind would you buy if you had to replace yours??

Get him an HP Stream, if he's just using it for basic web surfing, and stuff. It's under $250, and has windows.

http://www.cnet.com/products/hp-stream-11-6-review/

It's probably not gonna be able to handle any heavy games, but than I doubt anything under the $500 mark would be able to do that.
[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post
14-07-2015, 07:34 AM
You can get a good, capable used laptop on ebay for short money.

I have gotten two high-end Dell laptops in the last 4 years that way:
  1. one for $150: Dell M4300, 4 Gb memory, 300 Gb drive, 1920x1200 screen, Windows XP installed.
  2. another for $350: Dell M6500 (4 processor i5), 8 Gb memory, two 250Gb drives, 1920x1200 screen, Windows 7 installed.

Both are working fine; I'm typing this in the M6500.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
14-07-2015, 12:35 PM
Wow thanks for all the suggestions! Smile

After finding a good laptop and Revs "Facebook machine" we kept going back and forth between. Them.

Husband suggested we speak to kiddo. He really wants a laptop, because he likes idea of being able to move it around. But he was worried about dropping it -- I'm not, he's actually meticulous with his things.

So after thinking about it, and reading all the comments here, I ordered him a laptop.

And we decided he can have it early, instead of making wait until August. Smile

The downside, I'm using my iPad money to pay for it Sadcryface but...

He rarely asks for anything. He'll be 16 and the only things he wanted were a few movies I found for nothing on amazon and then he mentioned a computer...

He was so excited last night he took melatonin to "help him" sleep. Laughat

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
14-07-2015, 12:39 PM (This post was last modified: 14-07-2015 12:43 PM by GirlyMan.)
I don't play games so I don't need high quality graphics. All I use is servers. I love it when people come into my office and ask "Is that a server you have on your desk?" Why yes, yes it is. That and I find the noises they make soothing. I can make them purr. Or wail.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
14-07-2015, 12:44 PM
(14-07-2015 12:39 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I don't play games so I don't need high quality graphics. All I use is servers. I love it when people come into my office and ask "Is that a server you have on your desk?" Why yes, yes it is. That and I find the noises they make soothing. I can make them purr.

I've come to expect nothing less from you.

Thanks..

Heart