Laptop or desktop????

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-07-2015, 12:51 PM
RE: Laptop or desktop????
For those interested here's what we went with...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V8ZA...ailpages00

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
14-07-2015, 03:49 PM
(14-07-2015 12:51 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  For those interested here's what we went with...

Little OP for a facebook computer but not bad at all Smile I think it will be perfect for him. Im jealous actually lol

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
14-07-2015, 04:18 PM
(14-07-2015 03:49 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(14-07-2015 12:51 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  For those interested here's what we went with...

Little OP for a facebook computer but not bad at all Smile I think it will be perfect for him. Im jealous actually lol

We decided to go for something a little bit better, in case his interests evolve -- if he's got a better computer, he might be more likely to use it for more than he does now.

I'd rather spend a bit more now, than have to spend more later.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

14-07-2015, 04:29 PM
(14-07-2015 04:18 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(14-07-2015 03:49 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Little OP for a facebook computer but not bad at all Smile I think it will be perfect for him. Im jealous actually lol

We decided to go for something a little bit better, in case his interests evolve -- if he's got a better computer, he might be more likely to use it for more than he does now.

I'd rather spend a bit more now, than have to spend more later.

Can't argue with that.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
15-07-2015, 07:37 AM
(13-07-2015 07:16 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Hi everyone,

My younger son needs a glorified Facebook/YouTube, internet surfing and homework...type computer. He's the one on the spectrum, so his interests are very limited (narrow).

So, I'm looking for an inexpensive ($400 or less), desktop or laptop type of computer. Seriously, nothing fancy...he's not into games.

I'd prefer he get a Mac, but I'll be honest I'm not spending the money on one...

My older son has ideas but laptops aren't his thing...Right now, he's thinking maybe a laptop is a better value.

So, I'm tossing this out to you.

Right now, kiddo is using our old Mac. He likes it, but it can't be updated anymore. It's not worth the money to buy more ram for it -- because it's just so old and slow.

As both a computer technician and a retail computer shop owner, I can tell you from experience that a desktop is the best way to go.

1. They last longer.
2. All parts can be easily replaced if they break down.
3. They are generally more powerful and faster.
4. Since they are not mobile, they are not subject to being dropped or banged, which is why the #1 part that gets replaced in laptops is the hard drive due to physical damage.
5. They can be easily upgraded in the future.

That's my opinion.

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
15-07-2015, 01:09 PM
(15-07-2015 07:37 AM)Free Wrote:  As both a computer technician and a retail computer shop owner, I can tell you from experience that a desktop is the best way to go.

1. They last longer.
4. Since they are not mobile, they are not subject to being dropped or banged, which is why the #1 part that gets replaced in laptops is the hard drive due to physical damage.

That's my opinion.

All true, but I take my laptop to meetings and make presentations or show demos.
And can you take your desktop to Starbucks? Consider

My backup is my 4-core, 16Gb, Windows Server 2008 machine on my desk. It has gone to meetings, but never to Starbucks. No

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-07-2015, 01:16 PM
(15-07-2015 01:09 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(15-07-2015 07:37 AM)Free Wrote:  As both a computer technician and a retail computer shop owner, I can tell you from experience that a desktop is the best way to go.

1. They last longer.

That's my opinion.

All true, but I take my laptop to meetings and make presentations or show demos.
And can you take your desktop to Starbucks? Consider

My backup is my 4-core, 16Gb, Windows Server 2008 machine on my desk. It has gone to meetings, but never to Starbucks. No

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

The computer I am using as I type this is similar to what you listed.

i7 4-core Octo-thread, 16GBs, solid state HHD, built on an Asus P9x79 MoB.

Decent gaming rig.

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
15-07-2015, 01:38 PM
(15-07-2015 01:09 PM)Chas Wrote:  And can you take your desktop to Starbucks? Consider

[Image: del.jpg]

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post