Laptop questions...help.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-04-2017, 01:38 PM
Laptop questions...help.
I have an HP laptop that I bought about eight years ago. It has Vista Professional on it. Over time more and more stuff was no longer compatible with pretty much anything so I bought a cheap laptop for simple web surfing.

The HP was a pretty decent system with Intel Centrino 2 and NVidia Geoforce. It was great for watching movies/DVDs, the sound was good and I did all my school stuff on it.

It just got slower and slower and not able to keep up with updates on various software. My new laptop is okay except that the sound really sucks except through headphones.

I am running a backup right now on the old one...damn thing is slow as molasses. And am wondering if it can be upgraded. Would I have to just wipe everything out and start over. I assume then that some drivers still won't be right.

Suggestions? Should I just get my pictures, docs, and music saved and just ditch it or would it be worth upgrading? I like the keyboard on it and, as I said, it has good sound and at one time played movies really well.

Thanks for anyone with ideas.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-04-2017, 01:41 PM
RE: Laptop questions...help.
The USN couldn't get the money to build new battleships way back in the 1880s, so they "overhauled" an existing ship. Some three feet of the keel remained of the original when they were done. Cost more than a new battleship built from scratch.

Your entire PC architecture would need to be "overhauled" in the same fashion. Cost you about twice what a new one would cost.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post
16-04-2017, 01:53 PM
(16-04-2017 01:41 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  The USN couldn't get the money to build new battleships way back in the 1880s, so they "overhauled" an existing ship. Some three feet of the keel remained of the original when they were done. Cost more than a new battleship built from scratch.

Your entire PC architecture would need to be "overhauled" in the same fashion. Cost you about twice what a new one would cost.

That's kind of what I was afraid of. Undecided

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

16-04-2017, 01:53 PM
(16-04-2017 01:38 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I have an HP laptop that I bought about eight years ago. It has Vista Professional on it. Over time more and more stuff was no longer compatible with pretty much anything so I bought a cheap laptop for simple web surfing.

The HP was a pretty decent system with Intel Centrino 2 and NVidia Geoforce. It was great for watching movies/DVDs, the sound was good and I did all my school stuff on it.

It just got slower and slower and not able to keep up with updates on various software. My new laptop is okay except that the sound really sucks except through headphones.

I am running a backup right now on the old one...damn thing is slow as molasses. And am wondering if it can be upgraded. Would I have to just wipe everything out and start over. I assume then that some drivers still won't be right.

Suggestions? Should I just get my pictures, docs, and music saved and just ditch it or would it be worth upgrading? I like the keyboard on it and, as I said, it has good sound and at one time played movies really well.

Thanks for anyone with ideas.

I'll ask my son if you want....he recently did an overhaul on his laptop. (He got it for $40 so he didn't mind spending a little on it.).

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
16-04-2017, 02:00 PM
If you're just going to us it for DVD's and such just try wiping it and reinstalling the OS. If you're not worried about security don't run any Windows updates. All those friggin updates and possibly a fragmented drive are probably a lot of what is slowing it down.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Popeye's Pappy's post
16-04-2017, 02:18 PM (This post was last modified: 16-04-2017 02:22 PM by KUSA.)
Laptop questions...help.
(16-04-2017 01:38 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Thanks for anyone with ideas.

Click the windows / start button, in the lower left corner and in the search box type msconfig. Click on msconfig and when it opens select the startup tab. Click on disable all. Restart your laptop and it will run better.
16-04-2017, 02:19 PM (This post was last modified: 16-04-2017 05:37 PM by Thoreauvian.)
(16-04-2017 01:38 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I have an HP laptop that I bought about eight years ago. It has Vista Professional on it. Over time more and more stuff was no longer compatible with pretty much anything so I bought a cheap laptop for simple web surfing.

Vista Professional will be out-of-date later this year, which means it will no longer be supported with security protection. That bodes ill for continuing websurfing beyond a point.

Alternately, new Windows software might not work on your old system. The newer the operating system software, the less likely it would be to work.
16-04-2017, 02:20 PM
(16-04-2017 02:00 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  If you're just going to us it for DVD's and such just try wiping it and reinstalling the OS. If you're not worried about security don't run any Windows updates. All those friggin updates and possibly a fragmented drive are probably a lot of what is slowing it down.

I suppose I could try that. I have the disks for it.

16-04-2017, 04:28 PM
(16-04-2017 01:38 PM)Anjele Wrote:  My new laptop is okay except that the sound really sucks except through headphones...

If the sound quality is the only issue with your new laptop, you could consider getting a sound bar to clip on to the screen.

[Image: logitech-laptop-speakers-z305-2.jpg]

[Image: logitech-laptop-speakers-z305-5.jpg]

I've got one of these "Logitech" babies and it works a treat on my old HP laptop. Although this particular model may be discontinued outside of Australia. It's got side-firing speakers, which I consider fill the room better than focussed front-facers. I think I paid around $40 for it.

Cool

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
16-04-2017, 04:55 PM
Not sure about your skill level, but if it has an SATA hard disk as opposed to IDE, buying a cheapy solid state drive (I think you can get a brand new 120 gig for about fifty bucks these days), and then replacing the mechanical hard disk with an SSD and then reinstalling Windows will really breathe some new life into an old system.

Googling your laptop model number along with "replace hard disk" generally yields how-to instructions and often videos; most of the time it's only a few phillips screws and a single plug in.