Laptop questions...help.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-04-2017, 05:08 PM
RE: Laptop questions...help.
Do you run the maintenance programs like Ccleaner and malwarebytes?

Scandisk for errors and defrag can help also.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
16-04-2017, 05:15 PM
(16-04-2017 04:28 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(16-04-2017 01:38 PM)Anjele Wrote:  My new laptop is okay except that the sound really sucks except through headphones...

If the sound quality is the only issue with your new laptop, you could consider getting a sound bar to clip on to the screen.

[Image: logitech-laptop-speakers-z305-2.jpg]

[Image: logitech-laptop-speakers-z305-5.jpg]

I've got one of these "Logitech" babies and it works a treat on my old HP laptop. Although this particular model may be discontinued outside of Australia. It's got side-firing speakers, which I consider fill the room better than focussed front-facers. I think I paid around $40 for it.

Cool
A bluetooth speaker would be a good idea also.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-04-2017, 05:16 PM
Don't forget the rule: Whatever you don't replace in an upgrade will be the next thing to fail.
16-04-2017, 05:24 PM (This post was last modified: 16-04-2017 05:27 PM by RearViewMirror.)
(16-04-2017 01:38 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I have an HP laptop that I bought about eight years ago. It has Vista Professional on it. Over time more and more stuff was no longer compatible with pretty much anything so I bought a cheap laptop for simple web surfing.

The HP was a pretty decent system with Intel Centrino 2 and NVidia Geoforce. It was great for watching movies/DVDs, the sound was good and I did all my school stuff on it.

It just got slower and slower and not able to keep up with updates on various software. My new laptop is okay except that the sound really sucks except through headphones.

I am running a backup right now on the old one...damn thing is slow as molasses. And am wondering if it can be upgraded. Would I have to just wipe everything out and start over. I assume then that some drivers still won't be right.

Suggestions? Should I just get my pictures, docs, and music saved and just ditch it or would it be worth upgrading? I like the keyboard on it and, as I said, it has good sound and at one time played movies really well.

Thanks for anyone with ideas.

I know this is probably not the answer that you are looking for but if you got 8 years out of a Windows based laptop (running Vista no less) then you got your monies worth out of it. Windows based laptops "generally" get around 4 years of useable life out of them and then they start degrading pretty fast as technology advances at a blindingly fast pace. There are exceptions to the rule of course but the reality is you would most likely be better off buying a new / newer laptop and go from there.
I have an HP laptop running Vista that is thrown in my closet somewhere and it is just a paperweight now. I bought it back in 2009 for around $1500 and it was pretty damn nice at the time. But... over time it slowly started fading away. There are only so many tricks you can use to bring one back to life but in the end they are just bandaids to delay the inevitable.

I biased when it comes to Windows based machines. I HATE Windows 10.

I only run Apple now as I don't need any of the functions or software specific products of a Windows based machine. I've got nearly $4500 in my MacBook Pro but I use it constantly for Video editing and Photo developing so it has a specific purpose. "Generally" Apple laptops last for around 7 years before degrading to a state of uselessness (again, generally speaking). They of course cost much more than a Windows based machine and I understand they are not for everyone.

But the end result is the same. To see any meaningful improvement you'll need a new machine.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
[+] 1 user Likes RearViewMirror's post
16-04-2017, 05:30 PM
(16-04-2017 05:24 PM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  
(16-04-2017 01:38 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I have an HP laptop that I bought about eight years ago. It has Vista Professional on it. Over time more and more stuff was no longer compatible with pretty much anything so I bought a cheap laptop for simple web surfing.

The HP was a pretty decent system with Intel Centrino 2 and NVidia Geoforce. It was great for watching movies/DVDs, the sound was good and I did all my school stuff on it.

It just got slower and slower and not able to keep up with updates on various software. My new laptop is okay except that the sound really sucks except through headphones.

I am running a backup right now on the old one...damn thing is slow as molasses. And am wondering if it can be upgraded. Would I have to just wipe everything out and start over. I assume then that some drivers still won't be right.

Suggestions? Should I just get my pictures, docs, and music saved and just ditch it or would it be worth upgrading? I like the keyboard on it and, as I said, it has good sound and at one time played movies really well.

Thanks for anyone with ideas.

I know this is probably not the answer that you are looking for but if you got 8 years out of a Windows based laptop (running Vista no less) then you got your monies worth out of it. Windows based laptops "generally" get around 4 years of useable life out of them and then they start degrading pretty fast as technology advances at a blindingly fast pace. There are exceptions to the rule of course but the reality is you would most likely be better off buying a new / newer laptop and go from there.
I have an HP laptop running Vista that is thrown in my closet somewhere and it is just a paperweight now. I bought it back in 2009 for around $1500 and it was pretty damn nice at the time. But... over time it slowly started fading away. There are only so many tricks you can use to bring one back to life but in the end they are just bandaids to delay the inevitable.

I only run Apple now as I don't need any of the functions or software specific products of a Windows based machine. I've got nearly $4500 in my MacBook Pro but I use it constantly for Video editing and Photo developing so it has a specific purpose. "Generally" Apple laptops last for around 7 years before degrading to a state of uselessness (again, generally speaking). They of course cost much more than a Windows based machine and I understand they are not for everyone.

But the end result is the same. To see any meaningful improvement you'll need a new machine.

Weeping

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
16-04-2017, 06:06 PM
(16-04-2017 05:30 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Weeping

Try reloading the OS before you give up on it. Load it from scratch. I'm writing this on a 6 year old Thinkpad, and it works just fine. It's running Windows 10, and I've had zero problems with it.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
16-04-2017, 06:41 PM
(16-04-2017 05:30 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(16-04-2017 05:24 PM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  I know this is probably not the answer that you are looking for but if you got 8 years out of a Windows based laptop (running Vista no less) then you got your monies worth out of it. Windows based laptops "generally" get around 4 years of useable life out of them and then they start degrading pretty fast as technology advances at a blindingly fast pace. There are exceptions to the rule of course but the reality is you would most likely be better off buying a new / newer laptop and go from there.

Weeping

If you've never run CrapCleaner from Piriform, (the free version),
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
you may see an improvement. I did. I've been asking the same question. I need a new phone and a new laptop. Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
16-04-2017, 07:36 PM
Another option is find a copy of Windows 7, and see if it meets the hardware requirements. It is a vastly Superior OS, and will be supported for a while yet. Unless there are specific hardware errors, the hardware is probably fine. I'd replace the hard drive because they do fail regularly, and it is due.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
17-04-2017, 04:24 AM
At some point you will ask yourself how many hoops you want to jump through to avoid buying a new box.
17-04-2017, 04:43 AM
Eight years... Laugh out load

Wanna speed it up? Throw it off the roof. Tongue

living word