Laptop questions...help.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-04-2017, 04:57 AM
RE: Laptop questions...help.
(17-04-2017 04:43 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Eight years... Laugh out load

Wanna speed it up? Throw it off the roof. Tongue

Of the Willis Tower. It will be the fastest computer in the world for a few seconds.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post
17-04-2017, 05:03 AM
(16-04-2017 01:38 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I have an HP laptop that I bought about eight years ago. It has Vista Professional on it. Over time more and more stuff was no longer compatible with pretty much anything so I bought a cheap laptop for simple web surfing.

The HP was a pretty decent system with Intel Centrino 2 and NVidia Geoforce. It was great for watching movies/DVDs, the sound was good and I did all my school stuff on it.

It just got slower and slower and not able to keep up with updates on various software. My new laptop is okay except that the sound really sucks except through headphones.

I am running a backup right now on the old one...damn thing is slow as molasses. And am wondering if it can be upgraded. Would I have to just wipe everything out and start over. I assume then that some drivers still won't be right.

Suggestions? Should I just get my pictures, docs, and music saved and just ditch it or would it be worth upgrading? I like the keyboard on it and, as I said, it has good sound and at one time played movies really well.

Thanks for anyone with ideas.
Your laptop didn't just have a problem because of the outdated and unsupported OS. It is also at least 4 years behind with the hardware. With that I mean that even if you put a newer OS on it (win 8.1 maybe) it will still be slow because the hardware cannot handle the new stuff too well anymore. 8 years is a very long time in the computer industry, knowing how fast that is evolving.
Now depending on what you use your laptop for, you have different possibilities.

Just casual use (watch DVDs, watch youtube, play solitair, read emails,...)
After your backup is done, reinstall your vista. Go in your preferences and turn automatic updates off - From now on you will get a popup when updates come and you will decide if you want to install the updates. Install Chrome browser, and VLC media player. VLC media player is for free, relatively low on resources, not pretty, but will play your videos, DVDs, music. Install your anti virus software of choice and update it. Go on YouTube, click on a random video there, install/update Adobe Flashplayer as per on-screen instructions. Enjoy.
Always keep the anti virus up to date.

Casual use as above + some serious things (writing letters, presentations, excel sheets)
Do the above + install open office. Open office is free and has the non-microsoft versions of the whole office package. Make sure when you safe that you "save as" and then select the correct format (.doc or .xlcs for example). Alternatively get a google account (make a gmail address) and use the "Google drive" instead. Google drive has the most important office package parts in the google brand. Things will be saved in the cloud (not cluttering taking up much needed space on your computer), it is easy to use, and there is nothing to install or update either which is in turn great because it takes away from the load your old laptop has to handle.

Intense use. So all of the above but then add some more resource heavy things like video editing or games.
You absolutely need a new laptop. At 8 years old, your laptop's hardware is too old to keep up with all of that. Theoretically you could upgrade the hardware by buying new parts and replacing old parts but over all that will likely be annoying and more expensive than a new laptop at this point.

Now, because probably half the people here wanted to scream "BUUUUT" when I said turn the windows updates off. Here is why I said that. Windows can and will force updates on your computer that might not be nessesary at all. And the descriptions they provide are not usefull. Whenever they just want you to do a certain update, they will call that a "security update" so you will never know if that specific "security update" is actualy about security or something else. Most of the security updates that are really about security, fix some loopholes that tech savvy people found, small exploits. Not always (but sometimes) dangerous to the user. So as long as you keep your anti virus up to date at all times and you don't click dodgy links, things should be fine. You update exactly the software you need. So occasionally your Flash Player, the VLC, etc You have the advantage that even exploits in the system that were used at the time, don't matter much anymore anyway because your OS is so outdated that it won't really be targeted for anything anymore anyway (any any...).
I have had my windows updates off for the past 3 years. So I still had them on for the upgrade from 8 to 8.1. Turned them off for several reasons after that. I have a strong anti virus program and absolutely no complaints. My computer works absolutely fine and reliable without the windows system updates. So yea, you will be fine.

I hope that helps.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Leerob's post
17-04-2017, 05:38 AM
(17-04-2017 05:03 AM)Leerob Wrote:  Now, because probably half the people here wanted to scream "BUUUUT" when I said turn the windows updates off. Here is why I said that. Windows can and will force updates on your computer that might not be nessesary at all. And the descriptions they provide are not usefull. Whenever they just want you to do a certain update, they will call that a "security update" so you will never know if that specific "security update" is actualy about security or something else. Most of the security updates that are really about security, fix some loopholes that tech savvy people found, small exploits. Not always (but sometimes) dangerous to the user. So as long as you keep your anti virus up to date at all times and you don't click dodgy links, things should be fine. You update exactly the software you need. So occasionally your Flash Player, the VLC, etc You have the advantage that even exploits in the system that were used at the time, don't matter much anymore anyway because your OS is so outdated that it won't really be targeted for anything anymore anyway (any any...).
I have had my windows updates off for the past 3 years. So I still had them on for the upgrade from 8 to 8.1. Turned them off for several reasons after that. I have a strong anti virus program and absolutely no complaints. My computer works absolutely fine and reliable without the windows system updates. So yea, you will be fine.

Yea, Windows updates undoubtedly slow things down. The organization of OS files is as streamlined and efficient as it will every be after the initial install. Updates fragment the shit out of the file system. They erase files from one spot on the hard drive and write them back where ever there is room which is probably not the most efficient location for them. Even doing a defrag doesn't help a lot because mostly what you're doing is filling in empty spaces. It still isn't the most efficient place for the new files to be located.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
17-04-2017, 05:43 AM
Thanks all...I have a lot to think about.

I have a cheap little laptop that I am using and it's fine for most things. I just like the display, sound, and keyboard so much better on my old one.

I may just wipe it out and reinstall with the disk I have. Confused

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
17-04-2017, 06:04 AM
No one suggested installing Linux? Go install Ubuntu. Backup your videos and documents and whatever else you want to hang on to, then install. It's a solid OS. You can also look at other Linux options out there, but for my money Ubuntu is easiest for a beginner. I would previously have said Linux Mint but it's been a bit flaky recently.

It obviously depends what you want to do with the machine, but installing Linux routinely gets a few extra years of life out of almost any PC in my experience. You can
- edit documents (all the usual Word, Excel, whatever)
- watch videos, listen to music
- browse the internet

Other stuff, you can usually do but may take a bit more effort and googling to figure out how.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
17-04-2017, 08:06 AM
(17-04-2017 06:04 AM)morondog Wrote:  No one suggested installing Linux? Go install Ubuntu. Backup your videos and documents and whatever else you want to hang on to, then install. It's a solid OS. You can also look at other Linux options out there, but for my money Ubuntu is easiest for a beginner. I would previously have said Linux Mint but it's been a bit flaky recently.

It obviously depends what you want to do with the machine, but installing Linux routinely gets a few extra years of life out of almost any PC in my experience. You can
- browse the internet

Other stuff, you can usually do but may take a bit more effort and googling to figure out how.

I actually thought about saying "get ubuntu" (hence me recommending vlc and open office) but I can't know if she wants to use the computer for some things that just run better on windows.

Anjele: The sound and display. Sound on headphones depends more on the headphones than the laptop. Maybe try new headphones? Get a good model like the ones I have: Sennheiser HD 280 pro. They are very nose cancelling and have great sound. Or if you have good headphones already, maybe you still need to set them up on your windows system. Display I am not sure what exactly you mean? The size of your screen or is it something else? If it is stuff like colour intensity or things look too small / too big then you can set that up easily. You have to play around with the saturation and screen resolution.

- Wotsefack?! -
17-04-2017, 09:15 AM
(17-04-2017 06:04 AM)morondog Wrote:  No one suggested installing Linux? Go install Ubuntu. Backup your videos and documents and whatever else you want to hang on to, then install. It's a solid OS. You can also look at other Linux options out there, but for my money Ubuntu is easiest for a beginner. I would previously have said Linux Mint but it's been a bit flaky recently.

- browse the internet

I installed Linux on one of my old laptops and although it does work it would require the OP learn a new OS which they may or may not wish to do. I played around with Linux as it does extend the life of the machine but in the end it just wasn't for me personally.

Again I stick with Mac products but for a much different reason than most. The amount of video editing and photo processing that I do, Macs are just optimized for that type of work (New Macbook pro excluded at this point). The issue with Macs in general is the price. But, I've always been of the opinion you get what you pay for. I've had this MacBook Pro for a year now and it has never once had an issue. Not one. It runs at blindingly fast speeds processing 4k video and photo editing and exporting large files takes seconds which drastically speeds up time to get on with other things. The Mac OS is the most user friendly system I've ever used personally. I realize that I am being biased in my opinion and this really has nothing to do with the question at hand.

But to the OP. "If" you want a laptop that will last for a very long time without many issues and you have the money then I would recommend a Mac. I'm sure there will be many on here that will disagree and I completely understand. But coming from a long line of Windows based machines there just isn't a comparison between the two. I don't have to babysit the Mac and constantly update security updates (that most likely are not needed) nor to I have to constantly worry about virus's, malware, trojan horses, etc... It's an OS that takes care of itself.

Again... the price is the issue. You WILL pay more. But you will get what you pay for.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
17-04-2017, 05:55 PM
(17-04-2017 09:15 AM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  I installed Linux on one of my old laptops and although it does work it would require the OP learn a new OS which they may or may not wish to do. I played around with Linux as it does extend the life of the machine but in the end it just wasn't for me personally.

Again I stick with Mac products but for a much different reason than most. The amount of video editing and photo processing that I do, Macs are just optimized for that type of work (New Macbook pro excluded at this point). The issue with Macs in general is the price. But, I've always been of the opinion you get what you pay for. I've had this MacBook Pro for a year now and it has never once had an issue. Not one. It runs at blindingly fast speeds processing 4k video and photo editing and exporting large files takes seconds which drastically speeds up time to get on with other things. The Mac OS is the most user friendly system I've ever used personally. I realize that I am being biased in my opinion and this really has nothing to do with the question at hand.

But to the OP. "If" you want a laptop that will last for a very long time without many issues and you have the money then I would recommend a Mac. I'm sure there will be many on here that will disagree and I completely understand. But coming from a long line of Windows based machines there just isn't a comparison between the two. I don't have to babysit the Mac and constantly update security updates (that most likely are not needed) nor to I have to constantly worry about virus's, malware, trojan horses, etc... It's an OS that takes care of itself.

Again... the price is the issue. You WILL pay more. But you will get what you pay for.
That reminds me Big Grin I actually started out with Linux when I got a computer. So when I finally decided to switch from the dual boot to windows only, I had no clue how things work on windows.
On Linux you have to do a lot of the installing yourself. You might have to patch something manually or whatever. So I was used to doing the whole installing process in the terminal. So when I switched to windows, I remember trying to install something and so I downloaded the exe and then asked my husband "so what do i do now?" And he is like "click on it!" I couldn't believe that this was really all there is to it Big Grin

- Wotsefack?! -
17-04-2017, 06:14 PM
Linux is a cult. Laughat
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-04-2017, 07:47 PM
(17-04-2017 06:14 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Linux is a cult. Laughat

Yeabut their Kool-Aid ain't got shit on Apple's.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]