Las Vegas Shooting: 50 dead, 200 injured

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-10-2017, 12:10 AM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2017 12:25 AM by skyking.)
RE: Las Vegas Shooting: 50 dead, 200 injured
(02-10-2017 11:56 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  
(02-10-2017 11:49 PM)skyking Wrote:  My wife worked with one of the victims, she died in her husrband's arms. So hard to take for her.

Hug

Thank you, I will deliver that hug to her. I am working out of town these days.
Her friend just lit up the room, she said. They had worked together at a bank 20 years ago, and one of their co-workers had traveled and kept in touch with this lady after she moved away.
This was how she found out, through this mutual friend.
Our former neighbors also live in Las Vegas and were likely to be at the concert, but they were also Seahawks fans and stayed home to watch the game. His sister was there but was unharmed. Sometimes the "small world" effect can be terrifying.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
03-10-2017, 12:18 AM
If the mass shootings continue, getting worse as time goes by, eventually gun control will come. Question is how long before people decide the cost of not controlling guns is too high.

So... upwards of 500 victims? Surely this is the kind of thing you can't really pretend is a hoax? There'll be thousands of people directly connected to the victims, millions who're within 2 or 3 degrees of separation of them.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
03-10-2017, 12:23 AM
A friend said to me earlier "If Sandyhook didn't change anything, nothing will."
I had to agree.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 5 users Like Banjo's post
03-10-2017, 03:33 AM
(03-10-2017 12:18 AM)morondog Wrote:  If the mass shootings continue, getting worse as time goes by, eventually gun control will come. Question is how long before people decide the cost of not controlling guns is too high.

So... upwards of 500 victims? Surely this is the kind of thing you can't really pretend is a hoax? There'll be thousands of people directly connected to the victims, millions who're within 2 or 3 degrees of separation of them.

I dont want to spoil anyones fun here, concerning the unbelievable tragedy we are facing here, but.....i will.

People have not remotely enough fantasy it seems as to what extend of mass murder is possible with so many guns around in a modern society. What we have seen yesterday is probably (according to Churchill) not the end, not even the beginning of the end of mass murder scales ever increasing. I am actually surprised that guy with the automatic weapon (i am guessing from the sound of live videos of the event and my own experience in the military with a MG) didnt kill many more. I was barely 20y old when i was given a MG, and when i fired it for the first time i was utterly impressed by the insane firepower (and accuracy) of even a single one of those weapons. It is bejond me that so many american citizens dont (want?) to acknowledge this. Its not hard to fire such a weapon rather accurately (and you dont have to be very accurate at a RoF of 1200rpm/20rps, but hitting a common target at 300m on the range was not much of a challenge, provided you shoot many short bursts instead of a single long one). The recoil was (subjectivley) moderate, actually it felt less than with the assualt rifle. Whatever......

What you had is one crazy guy with an automatic weapon, a clear field of view (from 30th floor) and a mass of potential victims assembled down below, tightly packed. If you think thats a kind of worst case scenario, then just think about having two or three crazies like this.........are you finished imagining yet? Ill show you an example of whats possible.

Heinrich Severloh was at Omaha beach on D-day, in a trench, around 450m from the beach...and he had a single MG42...and someone who supplied him with ammunition while he was firing.

Quote:He says he fired on approaching American troops with the machine gun and two Karabiner 98k rifles, while a sergeant whom he didn't know, kept him supplied with ammunition from a nearby ammo bunker until 15:30. He claimed to have fired over 13,500 rounds with the machine gun and 400 with the rifles, giving a total weight of ammunition of over 560 kilograms

This is whats possible, and it will happpen, unless the american society wakes up and realizes that a constitutional right (or lets better say, how you live it in the 21st century) from the ages of front loaders with 1-2rpm should be held to a different standard, like the standard of "twenty rounds per fucking second".

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 5 users Like Deesse23's post
03-10-2017, 04:32 AM

Minor Joking aside:

The whole gun control thing isn't as black and white as people think, but I will always say that gun control is needed. Jefferies mentions it above, but in the mid 90's Australia had a big gun incident, and they said "fucking hell, no more guns".

The UK has gun control laws and apparently we have one of the lowest homicide rates in the world because of it.

Even then, that doesnt mean you have to give up guns completely, [In the uk you can keep sporting/hunting riffles, subject to license checks etc] but more regulation and control is needed for sure.

The Helpful Atheist - An Information Blog
Last updated: 08/11/2017 - Want to contribute, drop me a PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-10-2017, 05:59 AM
Ok, if you don't want to listen to a fascist Nazi liberal like me, lets see what a conservative country artist who was ON STAGE has to say....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts...ter-vegas/

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-10-2017, 06:37 AM
(03-10-2017 05:59 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  Ok, if you don't want to listen to a fascist Nazi liberal like me, lets see what a conservative country artist who was ON STAGE has to say....

Some folks have already beat you to it mate, a few pages back in this very thread if I remember correctly.
03-10-2017, 06:47 AM
(03-10-2017 05:59 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  Ok, if you don't want to listen to a fascist Nazi liberal like me, lets see what a conservative country artist who was ON STAGE has to say....

He's not a true conservative country artist.
03-10-2017, 07:33 AM
(02-10-2017 08:49 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(02-10-2017 08:26 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Doyle McManus of the Los Angeles Times says...

"In the aftermath of Sunday’s massacre in Las Vegas, the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history, the House of Representatives will soon pass a bill that would make mass shootings easier...

The House is preparing to take up the Sportsmen Heritage and Recreational Enhancement Act, which not only loosens restrictions on hunting and shooting on public lands, but also includes two provisions that don’t exactly seem essential to sport shooters. One would legalize the sale of armor-piercing bullets as long as the manufacturer declares that the ammunition is intended for sporting purposes. The other would loosen longstanding federal regulations on silencers....

There is little question that the bill, strongly supported by the National Rifle Association will pass in the Republican-majority House..."

—All reassuring news I'm sure. Confused

OLB, can you explain the need for armor-piercing bullets for hunting purposes? How many deer have you seen with flack jackets on them? What does "sporting purposes" mean? What "sporting event" includes shooting through metal? I know the Olympics has events that involve shooting but those are mostly target shooting? I'm genuinely curious about this.

While your at it, can you explain the need to use a silencer while hunting game like deer? Or are those only for handguns?

Why would a silencer benefit someone who claims to be using a gun only for protection purposes?

The benefit of armor-piercing bullets in situations where nobody is wearing armor escapes me, but I can at least speculate on the usefulness of silencers: they help prevent damage to the ears of those shooting the guns. This is true in all scenarios. I don't care if you're hunting, target shooting, in a war, or "doin' a crime" -- guns are loud, and it makes sense to protect your hearing.
03-10-2017, 07:48 AM
(03-10-2017 07:33 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(02-10-2017 08:49 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  OLB, can you explain the need for armor-piercing bullets for hunting purposes? How many deer have you seen with flack jackets on them? What does "sporting purposes" mean? What "sporting event" includes shooting through metal? I know the Olympics has events that involve shooting but those are mostly target shooting? I'm genuinely curious about this.

While your at it, can you explain the need to use a silencer while hunting game like deer? Or are those only for handguns?

Why would a silencer benefit someone who claims to be using a gun only for protection purposes?

The benefit of armor-piercing bullets in situations where nobody is wearing armor escapes me, but I can at least speculate on the usefulness of silencers: they help prevent damage to the ears of those shooting the guns. This is true in all scenarios. I don't care if you're hunting, target shooting, in a war, or "doin' a crime" -- guns are loud, and it makes sense to protect your hearing.

Earplugs could be a revolutionary solution.... Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post