Las Vegas Shooting: 50 dead, 200 injured

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-10-2017, 05:06 PM
RE: Las Vegas Shooting: 50 dead, 200 injured
(03-10-2017 04:25 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(03-10-2017 03:00 PM)Chas Wrote:  At that time, "well regulated" meant trained. And it goes on to state that the "people" have the right to arms, not the collective - individuals - as the the word is used everywhere else in the Constitution.

Not exactly. The "people" are what embody the militia. They're one and the same thing.

You miss the point. The "people" are individuals and the Bill of Rights protects individuals' rights.

Quote:
Quote:I see, any positive attitude towards firearms is extreme?
And you are the accuser - it is up to you to support your claim, not him to prove you wrong.

I never said that any "positive" attitude to guns was extreme. You're up to your old tricks of putting words in people's mouths again I see LOL. The only claim I've made thus far is that there are ridiculously far too many guns in the US, and gun laws in the US are extremely slack—as evidenced by the 59 dead people from Las Vegas—killed by a nutjob that owned 42 fucking firearms. Or are you gonna argue that point too Chas, and put a positive spin on it?

No, asshole, I'm not. You keep ascribing positions to people. Just giving it back to you.

Quote:I'd almost be positive you're a gun owner, maybe a couple?

You said ""Yes I do. Simply because your attitude towards firearms, and their possession and use almost exactly mirrors that of the NRA. Unless you can prove that's untrue?"

His opinions do not mirror those of the NRA. Your statement demonizes him.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2017, 05:07 PM
If you don't fix the root cause...mentally and/or desperate people will use whatever they can.
Timothy McVeigh didn't use a gun.
Find all posts by this user
03-10-2017, 05:09 PM
(03-10-2017 04:50 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(03-10-2017 04:42 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  The militia were a subset of the People.
One would think that "well regulated" means organised, with some sort of structure, training and chain of command. Not just random people with guns.

"Well regulated" means regularly drilled and organized. But the government wasn't supplying arms, those were supplied by the people themselves.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-10-2017, 05:14 PM
So I guess this is the root of it:

[Image: militia.jpg]

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
03-10-2017, 05:36 PM
I don't know if it means anything but I was wondering: does anybody know if he shot anywhere besides into the general concert area? He would have had views down the strip, any shots fired or victims directly below him or on the streets and walkways?

03-10-2017, 05:37 PM
(02-10-2017 05:11 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  
(02-10-2017 04:54 PM)Stevil Wrote:  What is meant by "no guns at all"?

Does this phrase mean even hunting guns like 0.22 rifle and shotgun and 0.308 bolt action rifle are to be outlawed?
Or does it mean all guns for "protection"against aggravated assault?

Most developed countries don't allow guns for self protection against other people.
But most developed countries allow hunting and sport rifles.

Who is arguing for a total ban on guns?
Probably very few go as far as "no guns at all," I was just speaking of imaginary extreme points on a spectrum.

The NRA, in recent years, has had a tendency to interpret any attempt at gun regulation, whatsoever, as
"omigod!! no guns!!! they're coming for our guns!!! man the barricades!!!!"

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 2 users Like Dr H's post
03-10-2017, 05:40 PM
(02-10-2017 05:24 PM)Yonadav Kenyon Wrote:  For example, an intercontinental ballistic missile with multiple nuclear warheads clearly falls under the category of 'arms'. Do I have a right to own one?
Depends where you live: in parts of Texas and Northern Idaho, you can have up to three. Smile

--
Dr H

03-10-2017, 05:42 PM
(03-10-2017 05:09 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-10-2017 04:50 PM)Stevil Wrote:  One would think that "well regulated" means organised, with some sort of structure, training and chain of command. Not just random people with guns.

"Well regulated" means regularly drilled and organized. But the government wasn't supplying arms, those were supplied by the people themselves.
But regular Americans today, with guns on their person and perhaps more serious ones in their stash somewhere, doesn't constitute a well regulated militia. There is no organisation, no chain of command, no training as a group.
03-10-2017, 05:46 PM
Does anyone actually think some stupid debate on TTA is going to fix anything?

America has a gun culture. Very many intelligent people link guns with freedom and individual rights.

This won't change.

Do I think it's mad? Nobody cares what I think.

Like my friend said yesterday. If Sandyhook didn't change attitudes, nothing will.

It's their country. If they want to kill themselves, let them.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 6 users Like Banjo's post
03-10-2017, 05:58 PM
(02-10-2017 08:25 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(02-10-2017 07:35 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  i can not fathom the volume of injured. 529...

59 people lost their lives.

Yes!

What will it take to get control is this insane gun culture in the US. Fifty nine this time. What about 128 people dead? How about 247?

You won't control guns until you get rid of this kind of shit:

"Essentially that gun control represents not merely a limitation on a constitutional right
but a limitation on a God-given right of man that has existed throughout the history of civil society."

Emphasis added.

--
Dr H

[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post