Las Vegas Shooting: 50 dead, 200 injured

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-10-2017, 07:00 PM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2017 08:20 PM by Dr H.)
RE: Las Vegas Shooting: 50 dead, 200 injured
(02-10-2017 09:44 PM)Impulse Wrote:  I think you and some others are overlooking the point I made and focusing on specific numbers. If only pistols were available, for example, then this guy would simply have chosen a closer spot.
With pistols there is no way he would have injured 500 people, even if he were Jesse James and Billy the Kid rolled into one.

Quote:Or maybe a bomb instead of a pistol.
Maybe. There have been maybe 20 successful or partially successful bombings in the US over the past 10 years. There have been 273 mass shootings in the US just this year alone, and the year's not over yet.

A bomb has to be gotten to where the people are, and security was pretty heavy at the Las Vegas venue. The shooter was able to spray the crowd from an elevated vantage several hundred feet away.

Quote:I'm still pro-gun control - I never have heard any legitimate excuse for semi-automatics or automatics - but my point is everyone jumps on the knee-jerk gun control bandwagon after these shootings, but gun control wouldn't make this go away.
You can reduce the number of casualties, and you can reduce the number of nut-cases with easy access to firearms.

Compare it to drunk driving. Stiffer penalties and lower BAC limits haven't eliminated drunk driving, nor drunk driving victims. But they have reduced their numbers significantly.

In the absence of a perfect solution, what's wrong with mitigation?

Quote:We could get very strict gun control legislation passed
Actually no, I don't think we can.
Not at this point in time, anyway.

Quote:and, because some guns would still be available, you would still see some crazies shooting up a crowd. Yes, the death tolls might be lower, but that still wouldn't be a satisfactory resolution if it was happening at all.
Wouldn't a lower death toll be a positive accomplishment?

Just because we can't completely eliminate a problem, does that mean we should do nothing to try to reduce it?

Quote:There is much more to this problem than merely taking away the guns. I certainly don't have the answers to this very complex issue, but we also aren't going to find answers with gun control tunnel vision. We need to start addressing the whole problem.
What would you suggest?
Have you come up with a way to prevent lunacy?

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Dr H's post
03-10-2017, 07:05 PM
(02-10-2017 09:50 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  I wonder how long it'll be before some conspiracy wackos start calling this a hoax.

They've probably started already.

https://www.infowars.com/second-shooter-...2nd-story/

http://www.newsweek.com/alex-jones-deep-...ack-676016

--
Dr H

03-10-2017, 07:06 PM
(03-10-2017 07:05 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(02-10-2017 09:50 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  I wonder how long it'll be before some conspiracy wackos start calling this a hoax.

They've probably started already.

https://www.infowars.com/second-shooter-...2nd-story/

http://www.newsweek.com/alex-jones-deep-...ack-676016

Don't link to the InfoWars site, please. Just saying.

03-10-2017, 07:20 PM
(03-10-2017 12:18 AM)morondog Wrote:  So... upwards of 500 victims? Surely this is the kind of thing you can't really pretend is a hoax?
There are people who pretend the Holocaust was a hoax.

Never underestimate the gullibility of dedicated fanatics.

--
Dr H

[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
03-10-2017, 07:25 PM
(03-10-2017 06:47 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  
(03-10-2017 05:59 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  Ok, if you don't want to listen to a fascist Nazi liberal like me, lets see what a conservative country artist who was ON STAGE has to say....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts...ter-vegas/

He's not a true conservative country artist.

What? He's really a Scotsman?

--
Dr H

03-10-2017, 07:32 PM
(03-10-2017 08:11 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  At the shooting range, sure, but in a hunting situation, you might want to retain your ability to hear other things.

There are all sorts of really classy high-tech earplugs available these days, besides simple wads of chewing gum. They reduce the decibels in the range in which hearing damage occurs, while allowing full frequency response for ambient sounds. Indeed, some of these have been available for decades -- I used them when I was playing in metal and punk bands -- even if you're playing at 140 dB, you still have to hear the music to stay with the band. They're the reason I still have my hearing.

Yeah, they cost a lot more than cotton-balls. But so do suppressors.

--
Dr H

03-10-2017, 07:36 PM
The members of Congress keep saying "our thoughts and prayers are with the families of the victims".

Fuck you all. You were not sent to Washington to fucking pray for anyone.
Fucking FIX this problem, or STFU.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post
03-10-2017, 07:37 PM
(03-10-2017 09:56 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Also - anti hunting groups have been trying to do away with lead bullets for years. If they have their way EVERYTHING will be AP.
Not necessarily just "anti hunting groups", but yeah, this is a significant issue.
It's been nosing around in my state for a while now. It is counterproductive for those who have issues with AP, but a lot of them don't really understand that.

--
Dr H

03-10-2017, 07:41 PM
(03-10-2017 10:26 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  By the same logic, cars shouldn't have mufflers so you can hear them coming too.....
Since you mention it . . .

Quiet hybrid and electric cars must make noise under new U.S. safety rule

--
Dr H

03-10-2017, 07:47 PM
So it seems the shooters nephew is a ministry music director at a church about 30 minutes North from where I live.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze