Las Vegas Shooting: 50 dead, 200 injured

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-10-2017, 07:47 PM
RE: Las Vegas Shooting: 50 dead, 200 injured
(03-10-2017 12:03 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Which is why he invariably becomes over-defensive when there's ever a hint of increased gun control laws, or any variation to the 250-year-old interpretation of the 2nd Amendment which could limit the use of guns by private individuals—rather than its intent to allow for an armed militia.
Not only that, but at the time that Amendment was penned, when a militia needed to be raised, they were expected to show up armed with their own weapons.

Nowadays, when the government summons up the militia (National Guard), the government supplies the guns. So the original intent of the 2nd is pretty much obsolete.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2017, 07:50 PM
Multi post function = useful and non annoying.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
03-10-2017, 07:51 PM
(03-10-2017 12:16 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  And as I said earlier ( and was promptly dismissed) - The alleged shooter not only had a pilots license - but two airplanes....
Yeah. He also could have poisoned the water supply, or opened a bunch of tanks of chlorine gas in the arena.

But clearly he was more into the personal power rush of doing his deed with his firearms.

--
Dr H

03-10-2017, 08:00 PM
(03-10-2017 02:31 PM)Callinectes Wrote:  I got my Facebook's resident conspiracy nut, who I had previously believed had some carefully concealed standards, posting David Icke's take on how is was all physically impossible and the authorities are lying to us. God damn.

Well of course: it's the reptilians. Everybody knows that. Hobo

--
Dr H

03-10-2017, 08:00 PM
(03-10-2017 07:47 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(03-10-2017 12:03 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Which is why he invariably becomes over-defensive when there's ever a hint of increased gun control laws, or any variation to the 250-year-old interpretation of the 2nd Amendment which could limit the use of guns by private individuals—rather than its intent to allow for an armed militia.
Not only that, but at the time that Amendment was penned, when a militia needed to be raised, they were expected to show up armed with their own weapons.

Nowadays, when the government summons up the militia (National Guard), the government supplies the guns. So the original intent of the 2nd is pretty much obsolete.

Exactly. The test of the Constitution may be, whether it is able to change with respect to this issue. No one has an absolute right to anything. We have a right to what is reasonable. (Even Scalia agreed to that). It is unreasonable to allow automatic and semi-automatic weapons (weapons of war) in the hands of private citizens. As globalization progresses, reasonable parents and professionals who are concerned about the safety of their families, will seriously consider other options, than staying in or working in, the US. The decline of the US is well under way. Health outcomes in a much safer Northern Europe are the same or better.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
03-10-2017, 08:08 PM
Anybody knowledgeable about 3D printer type weapons and/or what they're capable of? Best case scenario, there is a change in the American zeitgeist and we outlaw military style long arms...is technology going to outstrip this and make the same stuff just as easily or more easily available?

03-10-2017, 08:10 PM
(03-10-2017 03:00 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-10-2017 01:58 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Yes I do. It's again more than obvious you choose to ignore the actual definition of the word in the 2nd amendment... "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

At that time, "well regulated" meant trained. And it goes on to state that the "people" have the right to arms, not the collective - individuals - as the the word is used everywhere else in the Constitution.
Of course. Because in 1791 the people were expected to show up with their own arms, when summoned to militia duty.

That hasn't been the case since the federal government consolidated the National Guard and began arming them directly, in 1903.

Quote:I see, any positive attitude towards firearms is extreme?
I can speak only for myself: I'm not negatively disposed towards firearms; but I am rationally disposed to them. A certain amount of reasonable regulation is not infringement, any more than people's rights to drive are infringed by not being allowed to pilot an M-1 tank down the middle of Main Street.

--
Dr H

03-10-2017, 08:14 PM
(03-10-2017 07:41 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(03-10-2017 10:26 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  By the same logic, cars shouldn't have mufflers so you can hear them coming too.....
Since you mention it . . .

Quiet hybrid and electric cars must make noise under new U.S. safety rule

Yeah my Prius sounds weird when it's in electric mode. It makes this high pitched but quiet noise to alert visually impaired people that it's moving. I'll admit though, there have been times walking through parking lots and walked behind a hybrid that suddenly began moving, I kinda wished they made more noise. I'm extra careful now when backing out now because of that.

My friend had a first gen one that was completely quiet and a blind person walked into his car while he was stopped. The person sincerely had no idea there was a car in their path. I think it was a year or two later, that he brought his in for service and it came out making a noise.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

03-10-2017, 08:15 PM
(03-10-2017 05:06 PM)Chas Wrote:  The "people" are individuals and the Bill of Rights protects individuals' rights.

Well, and states' rights.

--
Dr H

03-10-2017, 08:17 PM
(03-10-2017 07:47 PM)Dr H Wrote:  

Good points. At that time showing up armed included a musket, powder and balls...the government did not expect you to haul in a 4 pounder too, they would provide the cannons.

SCOTUS interprets the law and as long as that is the case different courts will interpret them differently, the issue really isn't going to go away with the judiciary branch. To get to the crux of the matter the Legislative branch of the US government must strike or rewrite the 2nd amendment to the Constitution. Short of that nothing will change in the United States of Armageddon ™.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post