Las Vegas Shooting: 50 dead, 200 injured

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-10-2017, 05:32 PM
RE: Las Vegas Shooting: 50 dead, 200 injured
(04-10-2017 03:13 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  [Image: driver%20of%20gun%20sales.jpg]

What's really bad about that chart is Wall Street has bots searching the web looking for news of mass shootings and gun control in the news. When that sort of thing hits some predetermined level the machines automatically start buying gun manufacturer stocks because they know increased sales are going to drive stock prices up.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Popeye's Pappy's post
04-10-2017, 05:40 PM
(04-10-2017 02:10 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Eisenhower was right.
"Eisenhower was one of them!"

(Close Encounters reference.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-10-2017, 05:42 PM
(04-10-2017 02:08 PM)Dr H Wrote:  If 1300 deaths per day -- in the US alone -- haven't impelled us to get cigarettes off the market, why would we think that a handful of mass shootings that take out a few thousand people each year would impel us to gun control? The gun & ammo industry posts around $18 billion annually in profits. They're lagging behind the tobacco industry; they want to sell more, not less.

The difference is in the shock. If a million smokers fall over in the forest, no one hears. But this...I can control whether I put a cig into my mouth, I can't control bullets smashing into my head when I'm outside my house. You're probably right, my gut tells me, sadly, that you're right but my heart tells me you never know, there could be a point where a corner turns and enough people say do something or else.

And I know, Sandy Hook has been brought up as the ultimate example of non-action in the face of what should have been a call for action, but maybe there's a tipping point somewhere. I guess we will need a few more shootings, with higher death totals, at higher frequencies...

04-10-2017, 06:20 PM
And this is the arsehole who gave the NRA such a positive [sic ] public image...

[Image: 01-Chariot-Race-Ben-Hur-1959-Charlton-Heston.jpg]

Political activist Charlton Heston was the five-term president of the National Rifle Association from 1998 to 2003, and obviously chosen for his macho, aggressive, gung-ho characterisations, and also his popularity amongst gun-toting rednecks.

In North Carolina in May 2000 Heston ended a speech by saying:

For the next six months—Democratic presidential candidate and then-Vice President Al Gore—is going to smear you as the enemy. He will slander you as gun-toting, knuckle-dragging, bloodthirsty maniacs who stand in the way of a safer America. Will you remain silent? I will not remain silent. If we are going to stop this, then it is vital to every law-abiding gun owner in America to register to vote and show up at the polls on election day.

So, as we set out this year to defeat the divisive forces that would take freedom away, I want to say those fighting words for everyone within the sound of my voice to hear and to heed, and especially for you, Mr. Gore: "From my cold, dead hands!"

[Image: c966bf2af463853292cee44fa9293aa994f7486b...78206c.jpg]

—Thankfully, exactly that thing happened around eight years later.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
04-10-2017, 06:27 PM
(04-10-2017 05:10 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(03-10-2017 08:17 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  SCOTUS interprets the law and as long as that is the case different courts will interpret them differently, the issue really isn't going to go away with the judiciary branch.

Exactly. SCOTUS doesn't make the laws; it only applies them.

Quote:To get to the crux of the matter the Legislative branch of the US government must strike or rewrite the 2nd amendment to the Constitution. Short of that nothing will change in the United States of Armageddon ™.

And that'll never happen with the multi-millions of dollars that the NRA feeds certain politicians in order that they be on side... like Trump. Whom 5+ million NRA members supported in 2016. The NRA has the government in their pocket by sheer weight of voting numbers.

No, I doubt that will happen because that would require an amendment to the constitution that most states would have to ratify.

Congress can’t do that alone.

Also the Supreme Court only interprets, the law, when asked and even then they don’t have to, if they feel it’s already been answered. They can reject any case (refusal to hear) because they feel the matter is settled. They can weigh in on a small part of a law, leaving most of the law intact.

They don’t just hear constitutional cases either. They are the ultimate appeals court.

The federal government and or state governments apply the law as they understand it. Quarrels and disputes about a law go through the court process.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
04-10-2017, 06:30 PM
(04-10-2017 06:20 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Political activist Charlton Heston was the five-term president of the National Rifle Association from 1998 to 2003, and obviously chosen for his macho, aggressive, gung-ho characterisations, and also his popularity amongst gun-toting rednecks.

Love the way he's waving a flintlock above his head. Sigh.

[+] 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post
04-10-2017, 07:10 PM
the husband of my wife's friend was on Anderson Cooper last night. She did not want to watch it, maybe later when it is not so fresh.
04-10-2017, 07:48 PM
The Intercept is reporting the Clark County Commission has started a GoFundMe page to help pay for victims' medical bills.
Quote:This morning, Clark County Commission Chair Steve Sisolak, set up a GoFundMe, a private crowdfunding platform, to request charity for those injured in the massacre.

Sisolak, who is running for governor as a Democrat, pitched in $10,000 and explained that he is currently at the county’s level-one trauma center with victims:

I’m Steve Sisolak, Clark County Commission Chair from Las Vegas. We are raising funds to assist the victim’s of the tragic Las Vegas shooting. I am at Clark County’s only level-one trauma center with the victims and their families as we speak.

Funds will be used to provide relief and financial support to the victims and families of the horrific Las Vegas mass shooting?.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-10-2017, 08:02 PM
(04-10-2017 03:20 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  If you were to add all the grocery stores, McDonald’s and Starbucks retailers in the US that total would still fall short of the total number of licensed gun shops. Let that sink in for a minute.

Y'know, I had no idea there was such a close correlation between grocery stores and gun dealers. Something must be done about this.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
04-10-2017, 08:04 PM
(04-10-2017 04:51 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Sorry, I know it's off topic but I think we need a little laugh in here anyways.

[Image: Funny-Graphs-and-Charts-14.jpg]

Ew. People EAT those things? Tongue

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."