Las Vegas Shooting: 50 dead, 200 injured

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-10-2017, 04:36 PM
RE: Las Vegas Shooting: 50 dead, 200 injured
(08-10-2017 07:49 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Grenades would have caused more of a stir. Why did he not use grenades?

2nd amendment, right?

I'm thinking distance (if you're still talking about the Vegas thing).

He was pretty far from the concert (obviously not far enough to do some serious damage with his mass of weapons) but grenades would be pretty useless.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-10-2017, 05:04 PM
(08-10-2017 04:36 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(08-10-2017 07:49 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Grenades would have caused more of a stir. Why did he not use grenades?

2nd amendment, right?

I'm thinking distance (if you're still talking about the Vegas thing).

He was pretty far from the concert (obviously not far enough to do some serious damage with his mass of weapons) but grenades would be pretty useless.

Rocket launcher, then?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
08-10-2017, 05:53 PM (This post was last modified: 08-10-2017 05:57 PM by yakherder.)
(08-10-2017 05:04 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(08-10-2017 04:36 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I'm thinking distance (if you're still talking about the Vegas thing).

Rocket launcher, then?

Most are extremely inaccurate beyond 100 meters without something specific to hone in on, assuming they're guided. Those are generally more useful for hammering buildings with marksmen hiding inside behind cover and letting them get pummeled with a near miss and a bunch of rubble and shrapnel in a confined space.
Now if he had managed to get hold of a Mk 19 or something, that could have been some scary shit.

'Murican Canadian
08-10-2017, 06:02 PM
Does accuracy matter?

I thought it was about the numbers.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
08-10-2017, 06:14 PM
(08-10-2017 06:02 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Does accuracy matter?

I thought it was about the numbers.

At the range from which he was firing, he'd have been lucky to get a rocket (from most rocket launchers, there are obviously many types) anywhere near the crowd he was aiming for. Past 100 metres, especially outdoors, the rifleman generally has the advantage.

Some weapons like a TOW can be quite accurate, but most of those are designed for penetrating armor not killing masses of soft targets.

A grenade launcher, on the other hand, fires much like a rifle, or perhaps a shotgun firing slugs would be a better comparison. The Mk 19 does so in full auto, can be loaded with munitions designed for anti personnel, and is effective over a kilometre away.

'Murican Canadian
08-10-2017, 06:15 PM
(08-10-2017 05:53 PM)yakherder' Wrote:  Now if he had managed to get hold of a Mk 19 or something, that could have been some scary shit.

Because it's not scary enough as it is?

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
08-10-2017, 06:15 PM
(08-10-2017 06:15 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(08-10-2017 05:53 PM)yakherder' Wrote:  Now if he had managed to get hold of a Mk 19 or something, that could have been some scary shit.

Because it's not scary enough as it is?

Relatively speaking.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
08-10-2017, 06:16 PM
Does the target matter?

Seems to me, this is random.

Banjo.
08-10-2017, 06:19 PM
(08-10-2017 06:16 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Does the target matter?

Seems to me, this is random.

Random to a degree. As was mentioned earlier, from his vantage point the target area likely could have been measured in inches, if that. A rocket might have taken out a few random pedestrians in a parking lot or something, but it probably would have missed the crowd he was aiming for.

'Murican Canadian
08-10-2017, 06:22 PM
Yeah, that isn't what I meant. It seems the concert was simply there. One can drop grenades, shoot bazookas etc in any direction.

Banjo.