Las Vegas Shooting: 50 dead, 200 injured

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-10-2017, 04:26 PM
RE: Las Vegas Shooting: 50 dead, 200 injured
(09-10-2017 05:29 PM)adey67 Wrote:  
(09-10-2017 04:32 PM)Dr H Wrote:  Yep. And a well trained standing army that was already successfully holding down the beginnings of a globe-spanning empire.

We were spread way to thin, had we not been also fighting the French and coming from 3000 miles away we might have won. Just sayin Tongue

Yeah. Probably would have helped if you didn't dress up in red and form into such nice straight lines for the snipers in the woods, too. Wink

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-10-2017, 04:28 PM
(09-10-2017 05:31 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(08-10-2017 05:04 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Rocket launcher, then?

M203 grenade launcher
Launcher, Grenade, 40mm, M203
Rate of fire 5 to 7 round/min
Muzzle velocity 250 ft/s (76 m/s)
Effective firing range 160 yds (150 m)
Maximum firing range 437 yds (400 m)
22 more rows
M203 grenade launcher - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M203_grenade_launcher

Sure.

Or he could have, y'know, just gotten a nuke, and set it off anywhere in town. Facepalm

--
Dr H

10-10-2017, 04:29 PM
(09-10-2017 06:01 PM)Dom Wrote:  If you want a gun where I live, you just have to ask a neighbor and people will show up offering for sale what they don't want anymore.

It's like borrowing a cup of sugar.

I have lived in places like that.

--
Dr H

10-10-2017, 04:41 PM
(10-10-2017 03:13 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Wow, I didn't know that (obviously) you learn something new each day I'm quite shocked what with America being so vast an all, something to add to the old mental database I might research which states are smaller it would be an interesting exercise.
Some of our western states are pretty damned big.

You could fit two New Yorks into Oregon.
You could fit an Oregon-and-a-half into Montana.
You could fit three Montanas into Alaska.

OTOH you could fit all of the smaller New England state plus New Jersey and Delaware into New York, and still have enough room left over to get lost in the Adirondacks and never been heard from again.

--
Dr H

10-10-2017, 07:12 PM
(09-10-2017 05:29 PM)adey67 Wrote:  We were spread way to thin, had we not been also fighting the French and coming from 3000 miles away we might have won. Just sayin Tongue

Can you take us back now? Pretty please?

[+] 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post
10-10-2017, 07:23 PM
(09-10-2017 05:29 PM)adey67 Wrote:  
(09-10-2017 04:32 PM)Dr H Wrote:  Yep. And a well trained standing army that was already successfully holding down the beginnings of a globe-spanning empire.

We were spread way to thin, had we not been also fighting the French and coming from 3000 miles away we might have won. Just sayin Tongue

Had you not been fighting the French, the American revolution probably wouldn't have happened in the first place, given that it was essentially a proxy war encouraged by the French to drain your resources Tongue.

'Murican Canadian
10-10-2017, 07:31 PM
(10-10-2017 07:23 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(09-10-2017 05:29 PM)adey67 Wrote:  We were spread way to thin, had we not been also fighting the French and coming from 3000 miles away we might have won. Just sayin Tongue

Had you not been fighting the French, the American revolution probably wouldn't have happened in the first place, given that it was essentially a proxy war encouraged by the French to drain your resources Tongue.

Except...they weren't fighting the French. We (US)had to shame them into joining.

10-10-2017, 07:44 PM
(10-10-2017 07:31 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  
(10-10-2017 07:23 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Had you not been fighting the French, the American revolution probably wouldn't have happened in the first place, given that it was essentially a proxy war encouraged by the French to drain your resources Tongue.

Except...they weren't fighting the French. We (US)had to shame them into joining.

There was not a declared war going on at the time, but France had lost territory to Britain during the French and Indian war and, as part of a long standing rivalry, looked to weaken Britain in anticipation of future conflicts. The colonies conveniently served that purpose.

'Murican Canadian
10-10-2017, 08:37 PM
(10-10-2017 07:44 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(10-10-2017 07:31 PM)jerry mcmasters Wrote:  Except...they weren't fighting the French. We (US)had to shame them into joining.

There was not a declared war going on at the time, but France had lost territory to Britain during the French and Indian war and, as part of a long standing rivalry, looked to weaken Britain in anticipation of future conflicts. The colonies conveniently served that purpose.

All well and good, but to say the Amer Rev "probably" wouldn't have happened without the French...it was literally already happening without the French.

(But I'm not holding you to it as in the context of the thread it looked like kind of a playful throw-away line rather than a definitive historical analysis, as evidenced by this guy: Tongue) Smile

10-10-2017, 08:58 PM
(10-10-2017 04:24 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(09-10-2017 05:10 PM)Chas Wrote:  It's not about convenience. When hunting, normal or enhanced hearing is necessary.
Along with gun technology, earplug technology has continued to advance. Enhanced hearing is necessary when performing music with other musicians, yet in some situations the overall decibel level at certain frequencies can be damaging to hearing over the long term.

Voila! The invention -- at least 30 year ago -- of high tech earplugs that can limit decibels without reducing frequency response, limit only particular frequencies or groups of frequencies, limit only loud impulse sounds (e.g., cymbal crashes or gunshots), or pretty much anything else you need. And they can be custom tailored to your needs -- you can have a different design in the ear closer to the gun, for example.

All considerably cheaper than the cost of a suppressor, which is likely to fuck with your aim, anyway.

Hell, with the money you save, you can buy another gun, or a pretty good hooker for a night. Big Grin

I am aware of the hearing technology. I wasn't advocating suppressor use, I was explaining the argument.

But if the bill were to pass, the cost of suppressors would drop dramatically. They are not expensive to manufacture and they will come off the NFA list.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user