Last Week Tonight Debt Collection

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-06-2016, 10:16 AM
Last Week Tonight Debt Collection

Quite the feat he just pulled off.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
06-06-2016, 10:39 AM
RE: Last Week Tonight Debt Collection
John Oliver is a fucking hero!

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
06-06-2016, 10:49 AM
I hope I was on his list.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
06-06-2016, 10:54 AM
I do really like John Oliver. As somebody who works in this industry, I'll just say that most of the behaviors he is describing in the 5-10 minute period are illegal and (where I work) you have to sign that you understand these regulations even if you aren't personally interacting with debtors. And we don't go after deceased, Out of Statute, or certain types of bankruptcy. I've never heard of us taking on medical debt, so I'm not sure if we do that or not. I've seen our entire list of clients several dozens of times, and I've never noticed any medical suppliers on it, so I doubt it. But that's just my company, who knows what others in the industry do.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
06-06-2016, 02:57 PM
(06-06-2016 10:54 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  I do really like John Oliver. As somebody who works in this industry, I'll just say that most of the behaviors he is describing in the 5-10 minute period are illegal and (where I work) you have to sign that you understand these regulations even if you aren't personally interacting with debtors. And we don't go after deceased, Out of Statute, or certain types of bankruptcy. I've never heard of us taking on medical debt, so I'm not sure if we do that or not. I've seen our entire list of clients several dozens of times, and I've never noticed any medical suppliers on it, so I doubt it. But that's just my company, who knows what others in the industry do.

As JO pointed out, it's a patchwork quilt based on location whether or not many of those practices are illegal, and they get away with them 99% of the time even where it's illegal.

I don't doubt that there are ethical versions of those companies, but anyone who thinks (any) corporations are likely to self-regulate have not studied American history. Undecided

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
06-06-2016, 03:06 PM
Just like everything else in the US, for every corrupt industry there is an army of lobbyists working to keep it that way.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post