Last Week Tonight with John Oliver episode / Televangelism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-08-2015, 12:41 PM
RE: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver episode / Televangelism
(17-08-2015 11:50 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(17-08-2015 09:21 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I'm actually thinking of sending the televangelist in this video some grass seed.

Bwahahahahahahaha!

Be sure to send along some fertilizer! (He might not have enough, after all.)

Oh... no, I'm pretty sure he has enough bull shit to fertilize a rugby pitch worth of grass seed.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-08-2015, 01:11 PM
How can that even be legal? I'm flabbergasted.

*Shakes head*
[+] 1 user Likes Nishi Karano Kaze's post
17-08-2015, 03:14 PM
As I watched this last night I found myself insanely curious about how the truly faithful feel about this sort of obvious fraud. How do they justify this sort of behavior? Is it the "work of the devil" or something? All I see is an asshole taking advantage of stupid people, and I guess I wouldn't rule out that sort of behavior for myself (assuming I'm not really hurting them...), but taking money from people who are dying from cancer and claiming that it will help cure them really is grotesque. Hopefully Jon Oliver just brought a whole lot of attention to these fraudulent phonies.

"just an FYI: There are 2 kinds of people in the world -- those who divide everybody into 2 kinds of people & those who don't." Neil deGrasse Tyson
[+] 3 users Like MustangManda's post
17-08-2015, 03:43 PM
"...We've seen midgets grow, we've seen arms and legs stopped growing because of growth cells have stopped growing... *incoherent nonense* I DON'T MAKE THIS STUFF UP!" -Robert Tilton

Pretty sure that he added that last part reflexively after realizing he said something as comically ridiculous as people magically start growing. I mean, not even Jesus ever pulled that one off...
[+] 3 users Like Cozzymodo's post
17-08-2015, 04:46 PM
I've said it here many times, John Oliver fucking rocks. Haven't watched the episode yet. Can't wait!!!

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 3 users Like Smercury44's post
17-08-2015, 05:00 PM
"Not available in your country".

Is this good or bad?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
17-08-2015, 05:00 PM
"While Oliver might be collecting real donations, which he says are tax-exempt, to demonstrate his point about prosperity ministers, it seems that the donations might ultimately go to a better place. Here is the fine print attached to the donation page of the church’s site:"

“Our Lady of Perpetual Exemption may choose to wind down and dissolve in the near future. Upon dissolution, any assets belonging to the Church at that time will be distributed to Doctors Without Borders, a non-profit charitable organization that is tax-exempt under § 501©(3) of the Internal Revenue Code (EIN: 13-3433452) and which provides emergency medical aid in places where it is needed most.”
[+] 7 users Like pablo's post
17-08-2015, 05:39 PM
Damn. Instead of driving a station wagon I could be driving a Rolls Royce and jetting around in a fancy private jet. I'm in the wrong line of work. Angry

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
17-08-2015, 06:22 PM
John Oliver gives money to a televangelist: hilarity ensues

Take all of my money! All of it! I'll keep my seed, though, because the Bible tells me not to let it spill out all willy-nilly.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
17-08-2015, 08:01 PM
(17-08-2015 06:22 PM)cactus Wrote:  Take all of my money! All of it! I'll keep my seed, though, because the Bible tells me not to let it spill out all willy-nilly.

...out of your Willy

Angel

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce