Last Week Tonight with John Oliver episode / Televangelism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-08-2015, 08:04 PM
RE: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver episode / Televangelism
"You don't get rich writing science fiction. If you want to get rich, you start a religion." - L. Ron Hubbard

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like cactus's post
17-08-2015, 09:21 PM
(17-08-2015 01:11 PM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  How can that even be legal? I'm flabbergasted.

*Shakes head*

See, that's because you live in a country with a sane government.

The governing principle (double-pun intended) of American government is that rich people own it. Anything that gets you rich is legal because rich people can afford to buy the politicians to make it legal.
21-08-2015, 10:53 PM
John Oliver - Our Lady of Perpetual Exemption
Here is a great segment by John Oliver (ex of 'The Daily Show' - now 'Last Week Tonight' show) about the blatant thievery of televangelists. John ends by announcing that he actually was able to legally, rather easily, create his own tele-church and requesting (I assume facetiously) that people send him "seed" money - "Our Lady of Perpetual Exemption". Worth a watch if not a TTA segment on "seed" money scams. Laughat
21-08-2015, 10:57 PM
RE: John Oliver - Our Lady of Perpetual Exemption
And of course I instantly found another discussion thread on this - I should have looked harder before posting.
21-08-2015, 11:04 PM
(21-08-2015 10:57 PM)foothilldave Wrote:  And of course I instantly found another discussion thread on this - I should have looked harder before posting.

Don't worry, you weren't the only one.

Threads merged (for the third time)

"We are here to serve"

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
22-08-2015, 12:07 PM
John Oliver on evangelists
This is too funny!

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
22-08-2015, 12:23 PM
RE: John Oliver on evangelists
I was impressed when I saw this last week too.

Could be a lot more scathing on the principals themselves - you can hear the weight settle down James Randi's throat when he starts talking about the callous sociopathy he spent years uncovering to no effect - but, hey, it's for a general audience who may not be at all familiar with the phenomenon.

The bit at the end was absolutely brilliant, though!

... this is my signature!
22-08-2015, 01:10 PM
(22-08-2015 12:23 PM)cjlr Wrote:  - you can hear the weight settle down James Randi's throat when he starts talking about the callous sociopathy he spent years uncovering to no effect - but, hey, it's for a general audience who may not be at all familiar with the phenomenon.

The more, the merrier. I hope it spreads.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
22-08-2015, 01:14 PM
(22-08-2015 01:10 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(22-08-2015 12:23 PM)cjlr Wrote:  - you can hear the weight settle down James Randi's throat when he starts talking about the callous sociopathy he spent years uncovering to no effect - but, hey, it's for a general audience who may not be at all familiar with the phenomenon.

The more, the merrier. I hope it spreads.

I wonder how the irs would take it if a large portion of taxpayers suddenly applied for tax-exempt status like this.
22-08-2015, 01:16 PM