Last night... I saw Jupiter!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-12-2012, 08:49 AM
Last night... I saw Jupiter!
Since the new/old telescope, me and my wife have been trying to stargaze every night.

Last night was the first REALLY clear night with extremely low light saturation that we got and it was a fantastic moment for both of us. I got out my google sky maps (for those who don't have it... GET IT for your phone) and looked around. She pointed out a very bright "star" in the sky, but I got out skymaps and it said it was Jupiter.

I thought... "No freaking way, how could it be that bright."

A cloud was starting to pass a bit that way, we focused in on it, but it just looked like a bright blob.

We focused the scope up a bit more towards the clear part of the sky, no clouds and saw tons and tons and tons of starts. (literally you could point it to a constellation and there was a ton of stars to count around it, just amazing)

Fastforward a bit and the cloud passes, we look back up to Jupiter and it was no longer a blog but a very distinct object with 4 smaller "stars" (Moons!) around it. I swapped out for my barlow and low and behold... weather bands. Distinctly visible weather bands. "HOLY FUCK. That's... JUPITER! Those are... the weather bands of JUPITER!"

I put in a better lense and recentered it on jupiter, added the barlow and it was big enough to make them out really quite well. The pictures I had seen taken of it did not do the actual looking into the scope any justice. It was much more clear without worrying about fstops and ISO settings.

My wife was glued to the telescope. She was calling up her mom trying to excitedly explain what she saw but her mom just sorta gave her an "Ehhhh that's neat."

Even though no one was quite as excited as we were, it was a cool moment for both of us.

If you EVER get the chance on a clear night to head to an observatory or use a good scope I HIGHLY recommend it. The stars you can visibly see with your eye are nothing compared to what can be seen with a scope.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Logisch's post
13-12-2012, 09:23 AM
RE: Last night... I saw Jupiter!
That's awesome that you could see it so well.
I mean it's pretty fucking big, but you know, still.

Neat planet Jupiter. 67 moons (Europa being the most interesting as it's a giant ball of ice with potentially liquid water beneath it and thus life, the atmosphere is also oxygen rich), 11.8 Earth years to orbit the sun, 70,000 km radius (compared to Earths 6.3), about 320 times the mass of Earth (and something like 3 times the mass of all the other planets combined), those big spots are giant storms (bigger then Earth), very whether violent planet. It's got rings too, third planet to be discovered to have rings. Rarely you can actually witness asteroids and comets and stuff smash into the surface, there was one last year or the year I believe where about 3 or 4 comets plowed into Jupiter. Named by the Romans of course but was actually seen as early as the Babylonians, I actually think they may have believed it was their god but can't remember.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
13-12-2012, 09:42 AM
I used to study physics here and one night the school organized a trip to the local observatory and we saw jupiter, it was one of the most amazing things I ever saw. So yeah, congrats!! Big Grin

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
13-12-2012, 09:43 AM
(13-12-2012 08:49 AM)Logisch Wrote:  Since the new/old telescope, me and my wife have been trying to stargaze every night.

Last night was the first REALLY clear night with extremely low light saturation that we got and it was a fantastic moment for both of us. I got out my google sky maps (for those who don't have it... GET IT for your phone) and looked around. She pointed out a very bright "star" in the sky, but I got out skymaps and it said it was Jupiter.

I thought... "No freaking way, how could it be that bright."

A cloud was starting to pass a bit that way, we focused in on it, but it just looked like a bright blob.

We focused the scope up a bit more towards the clear part of the sky, no clouds and saw tons and tons and tons of starts. (literally you could point it to a constellation and there was a ton of stars to count around it, just amazing)

Fastforward a bit and the cloud passes, we look back up to Jupiter and it was no longer a blog but a very distinct object with 4 smaller "stars" (Moons!) around it. I swapped out for my barlow and low and behold... weather bands. Distinctly visible weather bands. "HOLY FUCK. That's... JUPITER! Those are... the weather bands of JUPITER!"

I put in a better lense and recentered it on jupiter, added the barlow and it was big enough to make them out really quite well. The pictures I had seen taken of it did not do the actual looking into the scope any justice. It was much more clear without worrying about fstops and ISO settings.

My wife was glued to the telescope. She was calling up her mom trying to excitedly explain what she saw but her mom just sorta gave her an "Ehhhh that's neat."

Even though no one was quite as excited as we were, it was a cool moment for both of us.

If you EVER get the chance on a clear night to head to an observatory or use a good scope I HIGHLY recommend it. The stars you can visibly see with your eye are nothing compared to what can be seen with a scope.

Mwaaahaahaahaa! You're hooked. Thumbsup

The feeling of actually looking at the actual objects with your own eyes is indescribable to those who haven't done it.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
13-12-2012, 09:46 AM
I've been wanting to buy a telescope myself, but I've been putting it off. In my case, the main thing is that I'm located right outside the District of Columbia, so beaucoup light pollution. And I don't have a car, so getting to a darker location would be problematic.

Jupiter is a nice sight, though, definitely. I remember the first time I saw the weather bands myself. Neat. Glad you're enjoying your new toy.
13-12-2012, 12:45 PM
If you don't mind sharing, what kind of telescope do you have? What requirements would a telescope have to have in order to see weather bands on Jupiter?
13-12-2012, 01:18 PM
awsome stuff!

Yeah ... .since I would mostly work graveyards at night with my job over the summer and fall I've been tracking Jupiter over the past few months.. watching it's position around the other stars as it treked it's way across the night sky. Jupiter is currently the brightest object in the night sky right now besides the moon because of the Earths position and Jupiter is at their closest points in their orbits.

I wish I could view it through a telescope.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
[+] 1 user Likes ddrew's post
13-12-2012, 02:23 PM
That's funny, because last night I looked out and all I could see was...

Wait for it...

Uranus!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 4 users Like Erxomai's post
13-12-2012, 02:31 PM
(13-12-2012 02:23 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  That's funny, because last night I looked out and all I could see was...

Wait for it...

Uranus!

Oh, man! I didn't see that coming. Weeping

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
13-12-2012, 04:12 PM
(13-12-2012 02:31 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-12-2012 02:23 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  That's funny, because last night I looked out and all I could see was...

Wait for it...

Uranus!

Oh, man! I didn't see that coming. Weeping

See it coming? It's the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread. ... I just can't believe he beat me to it. Dodgy

(13-12-2012 08:49 AM)Logisch Wrote:  Since the new/old telescope, me and my wife have been trying to stargaze every night.
... ... ...

Man, you said it - nothing like it! I'm interested to know what you have... I feel a purchase coming on. Wink Have you tried a camera attachment, yet? It'd be cool to see what you get. Smile And YES - Google Sky Maps is fantastic!!! (free, too)

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post