Last night... I saw Jupiter!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-12-2012, 04:48 PM
RE: Last night... I saw Jupiter!
(13-12-2012 04:12 PM)kim Wrote:  
(13-12-2012 02:31 PM)Chas Wrote:  Oh, man! I didn't see that coming. Weeping

See it coming? It's the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread. ... I just can't believe he beat me to it. Dodgy

Hmmmm, I thought my reply simply oozed irony. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-12-2012, 05:47 PM
(13-12-2012 04:12 PM)kim Wrote:  
(13-12-2012 02:31 PM)Chas Wrote:  Oh, man! I didn't see that coming. Weeping

See it coming? It's the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread. ... I just can't believe he beat me to it. Dodgy

I can't feel any prouder than I do of you at this moment. Weeping

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
Find all posts by this user
13-12-2012, 06:00 PM
I would love to see that. But alas, I live in Oregon. Clouds and rain...and trees...

[Image: mrhanky.jpg]

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

13-12-2012, 08:04 PM
Jupiter is wonderful when you look at it through the telescope Big Grin But in my opinion Saturn is nicer. At the correct ring position, Saturn is freaking majestic. Mars is also nice to look at, especially during oppositions. If you are lucky, you can see the polar ice caps Smile

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
13-12-2012, 08:59 PM
Fucking Erxy.... ruins everything... Dodgy

Yeah, I scoped that once (Jupiter, Erxy...). It was a moment. Thumbsup

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-12-2012, 09:21 PM
I fear this was an excellent opportunity for shooting shitloads of photos masterfully missed.
13-12-2012, 10:02 PM (This post was last modified: 13-12-2012 10:06 PM by Logisch.)
(13-12-2012 12:45 PM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  If you don't mind sharing, what kind of telescope do you have? What requirements would a telescope have to have in order to see weather bands on Jupiter?
Orion 8XT telescope.
http://www.telescope.com/Telescopes/Dobs...102005.uts

Using a much more zoomed out view with a 25mm lense, I could see jupiter as a bright ball, somewhat small and just ever so slightly see the weather bands. With a 25mm and 2x barlow, much better. Using a 10mm lense it was very close, easy to see, but the light wasn't as crazy bright (which to some degree, made the bands easier to make out) and with a 10mm and 2x barlow, it wasn't quite as crisp. So I'd say probably my favorite view of it was 25mm with a 2x barlow.

However, there are plenty of telescopes that are capable of such. The larger the lense, the more you will be able to see. But I would browse through reviews and even image galleries on the site through a telescope you think you might want to check out.

A lot of the reflector scopes are huge bang for the buck. BUT, refractors put out a crisp image, but for a big version will cost more money.

I would recommend regardless of what you get, a 2x barlow to go with it. It will magnify whatever lense you put in it.

Here is a link to all the "on sale" scopes:
http://www.telescope.com/Telescopes/Sale.../1/378.uts

I actually got lucky and found this one from a guy locally who used it 3 times and hated it because he didn't align the mirrors. When I got it, the telescope was all outa whack. Collimated it and it's crisp now. So you might even look locally before blowing money on a brand new scope and find one that has barely been used that will do more than what you could get for new Wink

On a side note: tonight I got to see Andromeda! - although the detail wasn't immense, once my eyes adjusted, it was something else to actually see Andromeda through the scope. Once again, 25mm with a 2x barlow was probably my favorite view.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
13-12-2012, 10:17 PM
(13-12-2012 02:31 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-12-2012 02:23 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  That's funny, because last night I looked out and all I could see was...

Wait for it...

Uranus!

Oh, man! I didn't see that coming. Weeping
You didn't think Erx wanted a telescope on his roof just to look at the neighbors, did you?

Ten points if you know what I'm referencing.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]