Last quarter's results

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-05-2014, 03:21 PM
RE: Last quarter's results
(26-05-2014 03:13 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(26-05-2014 03:06 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  I made it on the advanced diploma. My math average was a 63, so I only made it slightly.

Blush

Well you have me beat.

... then again, I am pretty sure the average 10 year old has me beat in terms of mathematics. I'm about as competent as a brick in terms of math.

I'm usually not awful in math, but I'm not great at it either. I don't often blame teachers for my grades, unless they're really bad teachers. These last two semesters though, the teacher was just awful. Nice as a person, but awful at teaching a lesson. So many seniors dropped to regular diplomas because of her class; Alg 2 with Trig isn't even THAT hard, it's just how she taught and how she regulated that failed a fuck ton of people.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-05-2014, 03:45 PM
(26-05-2014 03:21 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  
(26-05-2014 03:13 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Well you have me beat.

... then again, I am pretty sure the average 10 year old has me beat in terms of mathematics. I'm about as competent as a brick in terms of math.

I'm usually not awful in math, but I'm not great at it either. I don't often blame teachers for my grades, unless they're really bad teachers. These last two semesters though, the teacher was just awful. Nice as a person, but awful at teaching a lesson. So many seniors dropped to regular diplomas because of her class; Alg 2 with Trig isn't even THAT hard, it's just how she taught and how she regulated that failed a fuck ton of people.

I don't blame my teachers; they tried to help and they were decent at teaching; really my failures mathematically and general academics are my own fault.

My inability lays entirely within myself; in Year 8 I was diagnosed with 'Dyscalculia', which is essentially dyslexia but with maths and patterns instead of language. I was also labelled a probable autistic, but my parents never pursued it. (too this day it is as if my mother is in denial about that psych report.)
Additionally, I was frequently away sick, legitimately or not (I often gave myself days off because I had work due and feared confrontation) so I missed a lot of my math classes, and since math is a very learning-heavy skill that set me back further.
This was compounded further by a number of other factors: poor learning environment to me; it is near impossible for my to work and learn in a noisy class. And my math classes were constantly full of dipshits who understood algebra, but never could quite figure out shutting up; along with for the first two years me barely being able to see the board, cause my glasses were shit and it was prior to my diagnosis with progressive myopia so we didn't know I needed new lenses every year causing me to get headaches and not be able to see.
Ad all that to my personality which pretty much forces me to not be able to easily ask for help (or even engage with others; I even have trouble asking relatives for anything) without a long time of in-head preplanned discussion and guts building further caused me to disadvantage myself.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
27-05-2014, 06:10 PM
(26-05-2014 03:21 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  
(26-05-2014 03:13 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Well you have me beat.

I blame the teacher(most of the time). This is the first marking period I have had a F this long in geometry. I had B's and A's in that class all year until this new teacher showed up.Angry

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube