Last thread for the day, promise!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-03-2011, 02:47 PM

Last thread for the day, promise!
SORRY i've made like, three threads today/yesterday. But this is kinda important.

My church is inviting this woman: http://www.ag.org/wim/resources/intervie...Powell.cfm to speak to our youth (meaning i'm forced to go) about how science and religion don't need to be separate things and how science actually helps believe in god. She's also accepting questions.

>: ) I wasn't going to be an asshole about it, but since the church sent me that message on facebook (see my other thread in casual forum), I shall deliver my response through obnoxious questions.

SO, what do you guys suggest i ask?
Quote this message in a reply
14-03-2011, 03:39 PM
RE: Last thread for the day, promise!
I definitely agree you should be aggressive to anything you feel false after their stunt. Since I'm not exactly sure what her comments will be on I can't give you definite statements. Generally if you ask her about a contradiction and don't let it be forgotten she'll be pissed, and if anyone is dissenting at all they'll turn her off there. Prove that her answers aren't even enough for your youth group.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-03-2011, 08:29 PM
She will try to weasel out of your questions via bullshitting. Don't let her get away with it. Whatever you ask, make sure you actually get a real answer. If you follow in this fashion, you will only be able to ask one question, because religion can't give real answers.

So whatever you ask, make it something good. Wink

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
15-03-2011, 05:26 AM (This post was last modified: 15-03-2011 05:31 AM by Observer.)
In most discussions, when confronted with a critical question, the theist speaker will try to make the one who asked it sound silly, or answer in rhetorical answers (Why is the sky blue? Because he ain't pink.) Then they have the laughs of the public on their hand, and generally shut you up. Don't give in to this.

The way I responds to such thing is by laughing along and then saying: "That was really cute and we had a laugh about it but that does not really answer my question". Then ask the question again and watch them take off like a rocket and the fun will be on your side!!

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
15-03-2011, 05:40 AM
If you want to be smug to that retort, just state that its because the sky is a translucent substance and our world is made up of 80% water which mixes with the air and creates the general blueness of it, and anyway during horizons sometimes the sky is pink. Then go back to your question.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
15-03-2011, 05:45 AM
(15-03-2011 05:40 AM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  If you want to be smug to that retort, just state that its because the sky is a translucent substance and our world is made up of 80% water which mixes with the air and creates the general blueness of it, and anyway during horizons sometimes the sky is pink. Then go back to your question.
Snappy remark! I'll try to remember something like that. Thanks. However, most of the time rhetorical answers catch me off guard. Perhaps I'm to much of an honest or naive discussion opponent, who thinks every debater is like that.

(besides: it was an example Wink)

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
15-03-2011, 08:10 AM
Religion is based on faith - it has a conclusion an tries to find evidence
Science is based on evidence - it analyzes facts and evidence and reaches a conclusion

The scientific model is falsifiable as opposed to the religious model.

Do you still believe they are compatible ?

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
15-03-2011, 11:57 AM
What questions you should ask depends on whether she is a literalist or not. How she reconciles her professional training with the book of genesis is always a good start. Tongue

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
15-03-2011, 08:49 PM
Completely understandable Observer, the real issue in answering questions meant to be rhetorical is answering them in a fast pace. Along with keeping them short enough for a casual conversation. I mentioned a dumbed down kiddie part of the why, there's a lot more to it than that. But that answer is still factual. It takes a lot of thinking to be able to just spot something or hear it and come up with a quick response. I suppose that's why people are asking for them ahead of time.

15-03-2011, 09:32 PM
I wish I was a good debater. I consider myself smart but I'm not a quick wit. I'm never confident enough with anything I think I know to make good arguments.

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink