Latest Noah's Ark research - Flood did happen

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-12-2012, 03:31 PM
Latest Noah's Ark research - Flood did happen
But locally around the Black Sea, which is a theory I heard before.

Another Noah's Ark theory is that it is a history of the melting of the last Ice Age.

The whole story is 'borrowed' form the Babylonian Epic of Gilgamesh though isn't it?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-12-2012, 03:56 PM
RE: Latest Noah's Ark research - Flood did happen
Kewl! Now I know what I'm gonna be doing this summer - looking for the Ark. Who knew it was in my backyard, so to speak Yes

And since I just learnt that our sea is the biggest dead thing on the planet (being a meromictic basin, about 90% of it is anoxic water). Sounds to me like god's finger all right.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
11-12-2012, 04:06 PM
(11-12-2012 03:56 PM)Vera Wrote:  Kewl! Now I know what I'm gonna be doing this summer - looking for the Ark. Who knew it was in my backyard, so to speak Yes

And since I just learnt that our sea is the biggest dead thing on the planet (being a meromictic basin, about 90% of it is anoxic water). Sounds to me like god's finger all right.
It really is ironic how life supposdly spread from a dead point. haha

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-12-2012, 06:32 PM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2012 06:36 PM by Janus.)
(11-12-2012 03:31 PM)anotherother Wrote:  But locally around the Black Sea, which is a theory I heard before.

Yes, the Black Sea basin was at first just that: a basin. A kind of an empty, dry bowl. With a large lake, Lake Euxine, in the middle. And a human civilisation around its shores. Then, in 5,600 BC, the Bosporus/Dardanelles broke through and flooded the basin. The people fled in all directions. Particularly up the Danube river system.

Quote:Another Noah's Ark theory is that it is a history of the melting of the last Ice Age.

The Noah's Ark story is an amalgam of all flood stories. Just about every culture has one. To be sure: there have been many real devastating floods. Seasonal floods, tsunami floods, geological floods (the Med 12 KYA, the Black Sea 5,6 KYA). The accounts of all those got mixed up and percolated into Noah's story.

Quote:The whole story is 'borrowed' form the Babylonian Epic of Gilgamesh though isn't it?

That looks to be a major source for Noah's story. But hardly the only one.
[+] 1 user Likes Janus's post
11-12-2012, 06:39 PM
The problem I have with the melting ice age theory is, how long does it take to melt?
Because if it takes like 100years, people back then only lived to like 30 so they'd hardly notice the water rising let alone a massive flood.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
11-12-2012, 06:57 PM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2012 07:22 PM by Janus.)
(11-12-2012 06:39 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  The problem I have with the melting ice age theory is, how long does it take to melt?
Because if it takes like 100years, people back then only lived to like 30 so they'd hardly notice the water rising let alone a massive flood.

In the case of the melting ice age theory you must consider that the whole process involves various tipping points. One such big occasion was the Laurentide Flood: billions of tonnes of (fresh) meltwater had collected in what is now the Hudson Bay, but with 10 times the volume, and surrounded by huge ice walls. Then the Nova Scotia side of that ice wall broke through and the Laurentide inland sea emptied into the Atlantic. Which caused a sudden surge in sea levels if not a tsunami which, in turn, suddenly increased the pressure on weak spots – like the pillars of Hercules isthmus – to breaking point. And tadah! we have a catastrophic flood story in the Med.

I suspect people would notice that... Big Grin And it's a dramatic enough story to filter down the ages around camp fires. It did, and after umpteen iterations, one of which was the Gilgamesh epic, ended up embellished with divine bullshit as our story of Noah's Ark in Genesis.
11-12-2012, 07:39 PM
(11-12-2012 06:57 PM)Janus Wrote:  
(11-12-2012 06:39 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  The problem I have with the melting ice age theory is, how long does it take to melt?

In the case of the melting ice age theory you must consider that the whole process involves various tipping points. One such big occasion was the Laurentide Flood: billions of tonnes of (fresh) meltwater had collected in what is now the Hudson Bay, but with 10 times the volume, and surrounded by huge ice walls. Then the Nova Scotia side of that ice wall broke through and the Laurentide inland sea emptied into the Atlantic. Which caused a sudden surge in sea levels if not a tsunami which, in turn, suddenly increased the pressure on weak spots – like the pillars of Hercules isthmus – to breaking point. And tadah! we have a catastrophic flood story in the Med.

I suspect people would notice that... Big Grin And it's a dramatic enough story to filter down the ages around camp fires. It did, and after umpteen iterations, one of which was the Gilgamesh epic, ended up embellished with divine bullshit as our story of Noah's Ark in Genesis.
Ahh, like Ice Age 2 (or 3 or whatever movie it was where they had to get to the big log boat).

Yeah people would notice that. Actually that sounds incredibly plausible. Consider

However Noah is still debunked by the fact that every animal in the world (in pairs) on one tiny boat..

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
12-12-2012, 02:04 AM
The Noah Ark story can definitely be refuted based on the animals - the sheer distance, the sheer number of animals ... on the last point have you seen NonStampCollector's two hilarious videos?

Noah's Ark 1

Noah's Ark 2

They made me laugh anyway!

I am interested in the flood stories from other cultures. Does anyone have a list of those please?
12-12-2012, 02:07 AM
(11-12-2012 03:56 PM)Vera Wrote:  Kewl! Now I know what I'm gonna be doing this summer - looking for the Ark. Who knew it was in my backyard, so to speak Yes

Yep. When it comes to epic death, genocide and plagues you can't beat Yahweh.
12-12-2012, 02:12 AM
(12-12-2012 02:07 AM)anotherother Wrote:  

Yep. When it comes to epic death, genocide and plagues you can't beat Yahweh.
Or what we are prepared to do to each other in his so called name No

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."