Laurel School (Ohio)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-02-2015, 12:48 PM
Laurel School (Ohio)
I was watching some debate videos on youtube to gain some skills. I'm thinking about joining a debate team to preserve my public speaking skills. They have waned over the years.

This was a high school debate championship in Ohio between local schools. The style of debate was Lincoln Douglas which was new to me. Anyway I was so damn impressed by both debators but my intrigue was more for Lisa Peng from Laurel School. She was so bold and confident! It was so refreshing to see that level of performance from a girl. I just had to look up that Laurel School because they clearly had to be doing something right to produce that calibre of student.

And...I was blown away....at the cost to send your daughter there. It's an all girl private school that runs from grade R (kindergarten) to matric (grade 12).

Grade R costs, wait for it, $19,204.50!!! Holy Jesus fuck me!!! Lunch for the whole year round costs $1,000.00!!! Part of the reason for starting this thread is to get an understanding of what these costs are like for you guys. I wanna understand how hard it is to send ones child to such a school from an American perspective. You guys pay for everything in Dollars and you'll be able to reveal realities that simple currency conversions won't for me.

It simply blew my mind that a year in kindergarten at Laurel is more expensive than this years grade 12 at my high school. Obviously when I was there it cost less but this year's fees come to a staggering $18,163.28. This cost make most South Africans lose their minds trying to figure out why anyone would pay such fees!

Grade 12 at Laurel will fuck you up to the tune of - hmm, let's see - ah yes that's right, $30,485.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lunch for the year is $1,200.00 at that stage. In my currency even university fees don't even come close! Fuck they don't even come close to what my high school costs this year.

What the hell's this all mean? Someone help me put this into perspective. Anyone know what a typical public school fees are like in comparison to the Laurel bomb? By they way my high school is an all boy full boarding school so NO one goes home. I'm not sure if Laurel is the same.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-02-2015, 03:15 PM
RE: Laurel School (Ohio)
I live in the southeastern US - cost of living is low (although higher in my area) but wages are also low. I would make nearly triple my income to work in California, where cost of living is much higher.

Public school is nearly "free". It's paid for with taxes. My son is in Kindergarten at a Title I public school - about 80% of the children are near or below the poverty level and receive reduced or free lunch. I think lunch is $1.75/day. That doesn't break the bank for middle class. He goes on the random field trip or has a class party maybe once every six weeks that costs $2-$5. At the beginning of the year we purchased school supplies - about $75 (a lot of charities in my area donate supplies for the poor kids - even the grocery store I shop at asks for donations in late July/early August).

Is this a school that will get my son a scholarship to Vanderbilt or Baylor or Duke? No. It won't. My high school valedictorian attended Vandy without scholarship. His school also doesn't have the resources to teach my very advanced son, the focus is on bringing up the bottom, not gifted students. Sooo, we teach him more advanced math and reading at home. Academically he has learned very little at school this year other than improving his writing, socially he is finally up to speed.

Next year he will be in one of the best public school systems in the state. He will have amazing opportunities to succeed there. The fees are about the same. When it comes to American public schools, it's more about where you can afford to live. My child support is paying for my ex to live in a nice apartment so he can be a student in that district.

The best private school in my area, (it's the only one that is secular, as well), the one that would academically benefit my son the most - the one where kids go on to attend Harvard, Stanford, Duke - no way in hell I could afford it:

2015-2016 Randolph School Tuition
Grades K: $13,890
Grades 1-4: $14,690
Grades 5/6: $16,690
Grades 7/8: $17,590
Grades 9-12: $18,990

Book and Activity Fees
Grades K-6: $570
Grades 7-12: $720

Additional Fees
Grade 12-Graduation: $300
Grade 7 and 8 1:1 program fee - : $325

My ex's cousins attended an award winning public school in Nashville (they all earned entry to various Ivy League schools, full rides to Baylor, Belmont, Samford - his cousin still in high school participates in research at Vanderbilt for one of his science classes) - we looked at moving there until we realized the cheapest condo in the school district was $400K ($200K would have bankrupt us with our income) and teeny tiny homes started at $600K, most were well over $1 million. Must be nice to have the financial resources to live in a home like that AND get your kids into the best universities for free. School lunch is also free for EVERY child attending a Nashville metro school.

I have no idea what the cost is of a boarding school or where to even find one in the US.
28-02-2015, 09:05 AM
we did private school for a few years, elementary. It was a secular, college prep curriculum. It wasnt the top elite school in the city but it was good. We paid about $11K per child including fees for field trips, bus, lunch,supplies and tuition. Our local private school was horrid. We pulled my oldest half way thru kindergarten after filing a police report.

When your 5 year old has issues at school that involve calling the police you will pay to make sure they are safe, and getting an excellent education.

It put us in an extremely hard financial position over the last 5 years. We have since sold our home (just this past fall), moved across town (last summer), and are renting a home in a place with better public schools while we try to rebuild our finances. It will probably take about 3-4 years.

In some states, the local school district has "taxing authority". When homeowners pay their taxes there are two bills. One for the city and another from the school. They can tax at different rates. In other states, the school gets whatever the city decides to give them. As you can imagine, both are very political and involves money and power grabs.

Wealthier neighborhoods tend to have better facilities, can pay teachers better wages and attract better talent, can build more schools to keep student:teacher ratios low, etc. Public school in the US is all about where you live.

if make good money you can go the private school route and get a more intensive, higher quality, more personal attention education, which will hopefully lead to better colleges, a shitload of scholarships (because the privates also hire someone to guide and walk all the students thru the college app process starting about grade 7 thru grade 12 grooming them on classes and activities) so they are elite students on paper and are awarded the free $ at top universities. You don't get that kind of attention at public school. Is it possible for public school students to do it- yes. Is it easy without a team of teachers, counselors, and alumni that scratch each others backs, etc- no.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
01-03-2015, 08:27 AM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2015 08:47 AM by BlackMason.)
And they call it the land of opportunity. Yeah right!

Excuse me but my head is still spinning a little. What kind of job pays $20,000.00 a month? Also what kind of place could I expect to stay in for $3,000.00 rent a month? How much can I get from a decent middle to upper class grocery store if I plan to spend $1,000.00 a month. How many people can that feed?

Oh wait, what socio-economic class am I in if I make said $20,000.00 a month?

In my country I'd be close to god status with that income.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
01-03-2015, 05:23 PM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2015 08:18 PM by Bows and Arrows.)
$20,000 per school year. (9 -10 months)

$20,000 month is god status here too. (edited after thinking more- thats $240k per year- a doctor- probably surgeon, corporate attorney, highly skilled tech and engineering. those jobs are out there but they are the higher end of their fields- not fresh faced out of college)

We are renting a 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath, approx 2000-2500 sq ft house in a nice neighborhood for $2000 month. If I were to purchase this home it would run about $325,000. There are smaller homes and many much larger homes.

gasoline is about $2/ gallon. and I live in an area that is typically cheap when compared to the country as a whole in that regard.

We are about 15 miles from downtown Charlotte, NC. $240k a year in Charlotte you are living LARGE. $240k a year in Los Angeles or New York City- you are making good money but you aren't living Large.

there are online cost of living comparison tools to figure out what that would be equivalent to in your area.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
02-03-2015, 09:12 AM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2015 09:17 AM by Thinkerbelle.)
Ever had one of those days when the past comes back to haunt you?

I went to Laurel. Yes, that Laurel.

Disclaimer: That was waaaaaaaaay back in the day when tuition was nowhere near what it is today. Besides, my mother taught at the "brother" boys school, so I got a free ride. Cost at that time was about $1500/semester, lunch included.

Laurel is located in Shaker Heights, one of the highest per capita areas in the country. People there can generally afford $30K per kid. Got a great education, though, I must say. We had a non-denominational/loosely Christian "chapel" 4 mornings per week, but religion was never pushed on us. I recall singing the generic hymns, but I don't remember Bible readings. It was mostly announcements, 15 minutes and you're out.

My, how times have changed. But that doesn't stop them from asking me for donations to the point that I'm supposed to change my will and make them the beneficiary. <snort> Like that's going to happen.

And to answer your other question, public schools here are free (for taxes). Well, except for the fees. Around here, parking is $80/yr, sports are about $100 each. Yearbooks, class rings, field trips all cost extra. But nowhere near $30K.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
02-03-2015, 10:05 AM
Well Thinkerbelle, you are one finely groomed woman.

02-03-2015, 10:12 AM
(02-03-2015 10:05 AM)BlackMason Wrote:  Well Thinkerbelle, you are one finely groomed woman.

They would be so disappointed in me. Tongue The rest are all debutantes and doctor's wives, while I shovel horse poop every morning and wear non-designer jeans.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
02-03-2015, 10:52 AM
(02-03-2015 10:12 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  
(02-03-2015 10:05 AM)BlackMason Wrote:  Well Thinkerbelle, you are one finely groomed woman.

They would be so disappointed in me. Tongue The rest are all debutantes and doctor's wives, while I shovel horse poop every morning and wear non-designer jeans.
Being familiar with the area made this post especially funny... Thumbsup