Law enforcement drones over US??????

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-05-2012, 03:34 PM
Law enforcement drones over US??????
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/05/...s/#content

Most of the fox regulars are getting pretty bent out of shape over this. They'll use any excuse to disagree with a liberal though. Seems to me that this kinda falls right between Google Earth and police/news helicopters on the 'how big of a deal' meter.

What do y'all think?

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-05-2012, 03:49 PM
RE: Law enforcement drones over US??????
Wave of the future.

I'd be cool with it so long as there were rules set in place regulating use and area of use. It's the same shit as the cameras on lights and lamp posts. I'm generally cool with that but there aren't enough rules set in place for them yet. My biggest problem stems from the complacency they have developed with the laws in place regarding those cameras now.

It seems as though there won't be any further refining done. And as they stand now they are bullshit.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-05-2012, 09:15 PM (This post was last modified: 25-05-2012 09:24 PM by Scarlet Pimpernel.)
The next step after watching us from drones will be zapping us from drones.
I can already see handfulls hovering or flying figure eights over protest demonstrations with the occasional green light shaft shooting down, immobilizing and marking individual 'provocateurs'...

The application of military hardware for crowd control of civilians – you and me! – exercising their civic and human rights.
26-05-2012, 12:24 AM
(14-05-2012 03:34 PM)germanyt Wrote:  http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/05/...s/#content

Most of the fox regulars are getting pretty bent out of shape over this. They'll use any excuse to disagree with a liberal though. Seems to me that this kinda falls right between Google Earth and police/news helicopters on the 'how big of a deal' meter.

What do y'all think?
What the hell does the police need that thing for? Oh btw good luck finding Dick Cheney's home on google earth.
26-05-2012, 06:49 AM
I think we're letting the civilian police get too militarized, I know they need proper hardware and training to deal with well armed criminals but things are going too far. This is not necessary in my estimation.

I'm very pro law enforcement but I want them to operate within the bounds of the constitution. The safety argument holds a lot of sway with people. After 9/11 most people I knew had no problems with the Patriot Act. My question was always the same, when the dust settles and you've ceded power and rights to these entities, who is to say they will not use this against you?

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 2 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
26-05-2012, 01:55 PM (This post was last modified: 26-05-2012 02:19 PM by Bucky Ball.)
http://www.gizmag.com/switchblade-uas-ka...one/20611/

There is an even smaller version of these now. You can target your "enemy" from around the corner or a few miles away - target and track w/a cell phone. The drone is nearly
silent and explodes on impact so almost impossible to avoid.

Glenn Greenwald has a lot to say about the moral depravity and damage of drone wars:
http://www.salon.com/2012/02/05/u_s_dron..._mourners/
http://www.democracynow.org/2011/11/28/g...illing_the
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/03...nter/all/1

You can assume the NSA is storing every text, cell phone conversation, tweet, email, all
electronic financial transactions, in fact all data that passes through cell towers, phone lines, or satelites. The only question is are they following FISA when retrieving/viewing that data. Will FISA be seen as "quaint" just, as the Geneva accords proscribing torture were seen as "quaint" by Bush/Cheney ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
26-05-2012, 06:48 PM (This post was last modified: 27-05-2012 08:11 AM by Scarlet Pimpernel.)
(26-05-2012 01:55 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  You can assume the NSA is storing every text, cell phone conversation, tweet, email, all
electronic financial transactions, in fact all data that passes through cell towers, phone lines, or satelites.
As indeed every character of e.g. this thread.

If you're interested in avoiding the NSA's attentions and scrutiny read this .

Quote:The
only question is are they following FISA when retrieving/viewing that
data. Will FISA be seen as "quaint" just, as the Geneva accords
proscribing torture were seen as "quaint" by Bush/Cheney ?

Well, Obama suddenly and inexplicably supported the extension of FISA in June 2008 after having opposed it radically for years! Why? Imo it was his entrance exam. He supported it to get the nod from the neocon puppeteers for his election bid who apparently leaned on him heavily just a week prior to that vote.
Obama was a shoe-in after that, as we all know.

So will Obama's administration honor the bounds and control mechanisms of FISA? Well, FISA has no bounds and control mechanisms! That's why Obama was so opposed to it in the first place (when he still was his own man)! So if you're putting your hopes on FISA that's like Xtians hoping that salvation will come from Satan...

BTW, drones also have constructive/beneficial applications like e.g. observing road traffic (congestions) or (re-)establishing communications in case of a disaster.
28-05-2012, 05:59 AM
Jezz, our policemen don't even wear guns and your cops have got these drone things!
jelly

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
28-05-2012, 01:17 PM
Wow, people get really paranoid about these things.

Does anyone have a legitimate argument against these things? I don't count "what if they're used to rape my cat" criticisms as legitimate as they can be used against absolutely anything and when talking about topics like this I assume we are talking based on the item being used within safeguards that prevent them being used to harm people. I also don't count people talking about the "principle" because to not use something that could prevent crime based on something as non-rational as principles is just painfully stupid.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post
28-05-2012, 01:38 PM
Drones! I'm all for it! Put rockets on them as well.
It's time we thin the herd. Rocket the Klan, Westboro Baptist, Black Panthers and the rest of the Axis of Hate...
If the average citizen isn't doing anything wrong, then what's the worry?

"I feel like the weight of the world has been lifted from my shoulders...
Thanks for getting off my back!"
-
Arcticspear Idea