Lawrence Krauss accused of Sexual Misconduct

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-02-2018, 10:54 AM
Lawrence Krauss accused of Sexual Misconduct
It saw this on a local Atheist group I'm part of when I stated I was Skeptical, mostly because Buzzfeed is a unreliable source. It was told I was being unreasonable. Has anyone else heared other information about this? Buzzfeed did a simaler attempt on Micheal Shermer which turned out to be bunk. It an artical Will Misogyny Bring Down The Atheist Movement?

He Became A Celebrity For Putting Science Before God. Now Lawrence Krauss Faces Allegations Of Sexual Misconduct. https://www.buzzfeed.com/peteraldhous/la....wkDlKNkoR

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.” Plato
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-02-2018, 10:59 AM
RE: Lawrence Krauss accused of Sexual Misconduct
Sexual misconduct is everywhere. I am sure atheists are guilty of it also.

That said, not sure I believe buzzfeed.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
24-02-2018, 11:04 AM
I am going to go out on a limb and say misogyny is everywhere. Of course atheists can hate women.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: beb1339cfc76b95693fe0fd59c12ec05.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes ShadowProject's post
24-02-2018, 11:17 AM (This post was last modified: 24-02-2018 11:27 AM by Free.)
(24-02-2018 10:54 AM)Commonsensei Wrote:  It saw this on a local Atheist group I'm part of when I stated I was Skeptical, mostly because Buzzfeed is a unreliable source. It was told I was being unreasonable. Has anyone else heared other information about this? Buzzfeed did a simaler attempt on Micheal Shermer which turned out to be bunk. It an artical Will Misogyny Bring Down The Atheist Movement?

He Became A Celebrity For Putting Science Before God. Now Lawrence Krauss Faces Allegations Of Sexual Misconduct. https://www.buzzfeed.com/peteraldhous/la....wkDlKNkoR

I just read the whole thing.

Firstly, not one accusation suggests anything illegal. What I see there is a number of women from his past suddenly reinterpreting his rejected advances in the past as if it was some kind of sexual assault.

So we need to ask, "Why?"

My feelings about this #MeToo movement are mixed. Sure, in most cases we see things that are clearly some form of sexual assault. But when I see scenarios where a guy hit on a girl, and was rejected 12 years ago, and then suddenly that incident needs to be reinterpreted as a #MeToo moment, then it does a disservice to what the #MeToo movement should be all about.

I am not saying that some of the things that Lawrence Kruass purportedly did or said do not have some element of misogyny, but I'm really saying is that if we are now taking present-day standards and imposing them in the past, then we may as well put every horny guy who hit on a girl from the past in jail right now, throw away the key, sell all their possessions, and never speak of them again.

It's like, "David told me in 1978 that I had nice tits and a nice ass, so now I am going to out him on social media as a misogynist."

Facepalm

And to me, that's exactly where the #MeToo movement is going off the fucking rails.

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 3 users Like Free's post
24-02-2018, 11:20 AM
The movie industry seems to be doing just fine, along with the news business, and politics is about the same as it ever was, despite all the sexual assault revelations.

It's possible that the misogyny and misconduct of some will be used to smear atheists in general, but that kind of already happens anyway. I don't have a problem with people being held accountable for their conduct.
[+] 7 users Like julep's post
24-02-2018, 11:33 AM
I've looked for a media source that I consider credible and haven't seen it yet.

I don't trust buzzfeed and the two media outlets I've seen it on are something called Gizmodo and Fox news neither of which I deem as credible and both of which are using Buzzfeed as their "source".

It's not impossible that it's true, but I'm going to wait a bit.

There was recently an attempt to smear a local newsman called Steve Paikin that pretty much nobody believed once they got into the details of the accusation.

We have to be careful about this trend to convict people through public media.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
24-02-2018, 11:40 AM
(24-02-2018 11:17 AM)Free Wrote:  
(24-02-2018 10:54 AM)Commonsensei Wrote:  It saw this on a local Atheist group I'm part of when I stated I was Skeptical, mostly because Buzzfeed is a unreliable source. It was told I was being unreasonable. Has anyone else heared other information about this? Buzzfeed did a simaler attempt on Micheal Shermer which turned out to be bunk. It an artical Will Misogyny Bring Down The Atheist Movement?

I just read the whole thing.

Firstly, not one accusation suggests anything illegal. What I see there is a number of women from his past suddenly reinterpreting his rejected advances in the past as if it was some kind of sexual assault.

My feelings about this #MeToo movement are mixed. Sure, in most cases we see things that are clearly some form of sexual assault. But when I see scenarios where a guy hit on a girl, and was rejected 12 years ago, and then suddenly that incident needs to be reinterpreted as a #MeToo moment, then it does a disservice to what the #MeToo movement should be all about.

I am not saying that some of the things that Lawrence Kruass purportedly did or said do not have some element of misogyny, but I'm really saying is that if we are now taking present-day standards and imposing them in the past, then we may as well put every horny guy who hit on a girl from the past in jail right now, throw away the key, sell all their possessions, and never speak of them again.

It's like, "David told me in 1978 that I had nice tits and a nice ass, so now I am going to out him on social media as a misogynist."

Facepalm

And to me, that's exactly where the #MeToo movement is going off the fucking rails.

There is a lack of definitions.

What is "hitting on someone"?
What is sexual assault?

These things need to be defined properly for all to see.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
24-02-2018, 11:55 AM
(24-02-2018 11:40 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(24-02-2018 11:17 AM)Free Wrote:  I just read the whole thing.

Facepalm

There is a lack of definitions.

What is sexual assault?

That's a problem. Guys go on certain cues to determine what the next step will be. If we misinterpret the signs, are we now going to get charged for sexual assault?

This movement is creating so much paranoia that guys will stop complimenting girls as a means of showing their interest because it might be interpreted as some kind of misogynistic couthlessness.

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
24-02-2018, 11:56 AM
Have read it too. Big shitstorm on LK FB fanclub. He wont be at next event with Dillahunty and Harris. Dunno what to make out of it, yet . Will wait for more evidence.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
24-02-2018, 12:07 PM
(24-02-2018 11:55 AM)Free Wrote:  
(24-02-2018 11:40 AM)Dom Wrote:  There is a lack of definitions.

What is sexual assault?

That's a problem. Guys go on certain cues to determine what the next step will be. If we misinterpret the signs, are we now going to get charged for sexual assault?

This movement is creating so much paranoia that guys will stop complimenting girls as a means of showing their interest because it might be interpreted as some kind of misogynistic couthlessness.

Well, if I give you a polite smile and you kiss me or grab my pussy, I'm going to experience that as assault for sure.

[+] 5 users Like Dom's post