Laws regarding the evolution of behaviour in foruns

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-08-2016, 02:31 PM
Laws regarding the evolution of behaviour in foruns
I know there are various laws about how forum threads develop, Godwin's Law for example.

I have had a quick look but . . . is there one that says that posts not involving short specific answers, like picture threads, say threads involving morals, ethics, politics etc. end up becoming more of a personal slanging match between posters rather than a discussion of the subject per se?

Smile

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-08-2016, 02:38 PM
RE: Laws regarding the evolution of behaviour in foruns
(30-08-2016 02:31 PM)Gloucester Wrote:  I know there are various laws about how forum threads develop, Godwin's Law for example.

I have had a quick look but . . . is there one that says that posts not involving short specific answers, like picture threads, say threads involving morals, ethics, politics etc. end up becoming more of a personal slanging match between posters rather than a discussion of the subject per se?

Smile

Well, currently politics definitely do, because of a very noisy and extra divisive election period in the US.

Threads where someone is trying to proselytize also tend to do that.

For serious one on one you have the boxing ring. It's not used near enough.

The tone here changes with the people involved... and there are very diverse people here.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
30-08-2016, 03:24 PM
(30-08-2016 02:38 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(30-08-2016 02:31 PM)Gloucester Wrote:  I know there are various laws about how forum threads develop, Godwin's Law for example.

Smile

Well, currently politics definitely do, because of a very noisy and extra divisive election period in the US.

The tone here changes with the people involved... and there are very diverse people here.
Yes, I recognise the election is bound to create diverse opinion, my post was a bit tounge in cheek.

Also, how can I put it, for a fairly coherent forum the language of that diversity is a bit, er, robust. Oh, I swear, mostly for effect, as an affectation. And I have seen British forums where it is even more common - like some of the far right ones, against each other as much as against their target communities.

But, in time many of the sort of threads I refer to become quite interpersonal, no longer really about the subject.

This is the first forum I have come across that has head to head fighting areas. Goodvidea and if any thread ends up as a two part personal job that is where it should be.

No big deal, just curious.

30-08-2016, 03:58 PM
(30-08-2016 03:24 PM)Gloucester Wrote:  
(30-08-2016 02:38 PM)Dom Wrote:  Well, currently politics definitely do, because of a very noisy and extra divisive election period in the US.

Yes, I recognise the election is bound to create diverse opinion, my post was a bit tounge in cheek.

Also, how can I put it, for a fairly coherent forum the language of that diversity is a bit, er, robust. Oh, I swear, mostly for effect, as an affectation. And I have seen British forums where it is even more common - like some of the far right ones, against each other as much as against their target communities.

But, in time many of the sort of threads I refer to become quite interpersonal, no longer really about the subject.

This is the first forum I have come across that has head to head fighting areas. Goodvidea and if any thread ends up as a two part personal job that is where it should be.

No big deal, just curious.

The structure basically evolved in an attempt to allow complete free speech while still protecting some areas. Like the welcome area is more moderated, and the support section is quite strictly moderated.

Sometimes threads devolve into fighting matches, then we throw them in the pit so people can continue to carry on if they wish, but they are not in the general discussion areas anymore.

Likewise, sometimes people want a serious discussion, but if there are 20 people answering to one statement, no one can keep it straight and answer everyone. So we have a one-on-one discussion area.

The forum just evolves as we go....

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
31-08-2016, 09:39 AM
So there"s nothing like, say, "Sphincter's Law" that says something lije, "Political threads will evolve into a two or three sided slanging match within 25 posts."?

31-08-2016, 11:58 AM (This post was last modified: 31-08-2016 12:07 PM by Dom.)
(31-08-2016 09:39 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  So there"s nothing like, say, "Sphincter's Law" that says something lije, "Political threads will evolve into a two or three sided slanging match within 25 posts."?

Not that I know of. Godwin's law has been around for some time, and here people tend to get called out for it unless the shoe fits.

People tend to get called out for fallacies in general on TTA.

Animated discussions tend to take place in general when the topics are politics and religion - and perhaps sports, for some. We don't worry about it, we like it. If it gets out of hand, we just move the thread to the pit.

31-08-2016, 12:04 PM
There is some work on this. I'm going to listen to a lecture on Collective Emotions Online and Their Influence on Community Life by Janusz A. Hołyst tomorrow.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
31-08-2016, 02:59 PM
(31-08-2016 12:04 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  There is some work on this. I'm going to listen to a lecture on Collective Emotions Online and Their Influence on Community Life by Janusz A. Hołyst tomorrow.

Is that the guy that wrote The Planets?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
31-08-2016, 03:05 PM
(31-08-2016 02:59 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(31-08-2016 12:04 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  There is some work on this. I'm going to listen to a lecture on Collective Emotions Online and Their Influence on Community Life by Janusz A. Hołyst tomorrow.

Is that the guy that wrote The Planets?

Don't think so. Here's a part of his CV.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
31-08-2016, 03:20 PM
No, here's his CV.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 4 users Like Banjo's post