Lawsuit for allowing prayer

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-08-2015, 06:29 AM
Lawsuit for allowing prayer
I had an idea a couple of weeks ago that I have bounced off a few people who seem to really like it as well. I have a lawyer friend looking into case law about it, to see if it is viable. I want to get the opinions of everyone here as well. Here it is:

Sue a professional sports organization (NFL/MLB/NBA etc) for not protecting the integrity of the game by not specifically banning prayer. Being the plaintiff, we would then subpoena many of the top fundamentalist pastors/preachers who have stated that prayer works in creating miracles.

Our premise is 1. Prayer to X god works, as stated by pastors x,y,z with examples 1,2,3. 2. Anybody praying to X god, is then giving their team an unfair advantage. 3. Since the NFL doesn't specifically ban praying to x god, it is not protecting the integrity of the game, and being fans, or bettors on these games, we want the fairest game with as little outside influence on the game as possible.

The idea is obviously then to have these pastors under oath either:
1. admit that they are lying to their congregation.
2. Commit perjury
3. Prove that the claims they make about these prayer events are true (at which time we all convert to Christianity)
4. When the evidence is shown, it is proven that prayer is not the cause of said miracles, etc. Now there would be a case in the court of law showing this, that would be easy to point out to fundamentalists.

Imagine what fox news is going to do with this, they can't say it's a frivolous lawsuit, otherwise you'd have to admit that prayer to your god doesn't work, and if you continue to allow prayer at games, especially during crucial situations, you don't care about the integrity of the game any more than if you allowed steroids.

Remember, just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it true. Yes, even if you have faith.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like microterf's post
14-08-2015, 06:44 AM
RE: Lawsuit for allowing prayer
Evil genius!

You'd need to specify that it's intercessory prayer because some prayer-users claim that prayer is a way of communicating with a deity to try to understand their cosmic plan (not to change it).

Good luck with it.

Thumbsup

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
14-08-2015, 07:53 AM
The problem would be specificity. You would have to point out one "god" in particular as the co-defendant -- as the harm suffered by you must be to a specific group or individual. (the other defendant being the people doing the praying).

You couldn't specify "all gods, or all people praying" -- just as you couldn't specify "all other drivers on the road" for causing a vehicular accident.

Then of course, if you did win - it'd be thrown out as being unconstitutional for (dis)favoring one religion over the other....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
14-08-2015, 08:19 AM
I like the idea. However I think that all angles shoukd be researched for all out comes. So you can be prepared for every which way it would go. That way you know your next move will be every time.

I did that when my husband was going back and forth with custody. All he wanted was to see his kids according to the papers. He didn't want to take the kids from her.
14-08-2015, 08:22 AM
They would probably respond that their God always chooses who wins and they have no control over the outcome. Which in turn would mean prayer doesn't do shit.
[+] 1 user Likes MrKrispy601's post
15-08-2015, 08:37 AM
Well, are they praying for victory or for a "closer walk with God"? Surely even fundamentalists are not so crass as to pray that their team will win?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
15-08-2015, 09:17 AM
Then you'd have Fox News screaming bloody murder about the persecution of Christians.
15-08-2015, 09:53 AM
(15-08-2015 08:37 AM)morondog Wrote:  Well, are they praying for victory or for a "closer walk with God"? Surely even fundamentalists are not so crass as to pray that their team will win?
May be they ask God that He would help them to be strong and to play to the best of their abilities?
And the other team may be asks God that He would help them to be strong and to play to the best of their abilities.
Sounds very fair to me.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
15-08-2015, 09:58 AM
(15-08-2015 09:17 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Then you'd have Fox News screaming bloody murder about the persecution of Christians.

There is this logic among some liberals:
if you do not agree with Obama's policy it is because you are racist.
If you do not believe in global warming it is because you hate clean water and clean air
If you do not believe in abortions it is because you hate women.
If you want to fight radical Muslims it is because you hate Muslims

So, following this logic of some LIBERALS I conclude:
If you do not believe in allowing prayer for Christians it is because you hate Christians and persecute them. You are HATER and BIGOT.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
15-08-2015, 10:05 AM
(15-08-2015 09:58 AM)Alla Wrote:  
(15-08-2015 09:17 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Then you'd have Fox News screaming bloody murder about the persecution of Christians.

There is this logic among some liberals:
if you do not agree with Obama's policy it is because you are racist.
If you do not believe in global warming it is because you hate clean water and clean air
If you do not believe in abortions it is because you hate women.
If you want to fight radical Muslims it is because you hate Muslims

So, following this logic of some LIBERALS I conclude:
If you do not believe in allowing prayer for Christians it is because you hate Christians and persecute them. You are HATER and BIGOT.

I'm sorry, I seem to have given you the impression I value your opinion.

Let me assure you in all sincerity that I don't.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post