Layers of Hell

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-11-2010, 08:03 PM
Layers of Hell
So a Catholic friend of mine recently told me there are multiple layers of Hell, and that I and my 'heathen brethren' shouldn't worry about going to Hell because so long as we haven't killed anyone... we'll probably get one of the lighter tortures...

He described the first layer of hell as being a never ending storm that would drag us off our feet forever.... so basically we just get flailed around for all eternity?.. sounds kinda fun actually Smile probably not if you get motion sickness, better bring a few barf-bags.

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-11-2010, 08:11 PM
RE: Layers of Hell
Don't Mormons have a more positive view? Where only agnostics, apostates and murderers go to burn and everyone else gets one of three levels of heaven.

Catholics though... Don't they think that only a few thousand people go to heaven? xD

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
20-11-2010, 08:12 PM
what a bunch of stupid crap. How they know what constitutes the levels of hell (like there is a hell anyway)
20-11-2010, 08:14 PM
Idk how they would know what hell looks like xD maybe they played minecraft and made the rest up? (some of you will get that reference, some won't)

idk what the mormons or catholics believe will happen to people.
My friend could be full of shit for all I know, wouldn't be the first time.

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
20-11-2010, 09:37 PM
I think your friend is basing his theories less on Catholic dogma and more on the poetry of Dante. Anyway, a lot of different Christian sects believe things based on non-biblical prophesy and revelation. For example, the whole idea of the rapture is not found in the bible and did not even exist until the last century, yet the entire Left Behind book series is about and written for people who believe the rapture is real.
20-11-2010, 09:44 PM
That's what I was thinking, gamutman; someone just put down Divine Comedy and thinks themselves an afterlife expert.

Personally, I hope my afterlife is like 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon, where people stand around talki... ahh I got nothing. Don't know where I'm going with that.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
20-11-2010, 09:57 PM
If I remember correctly, the 7 levels of hell where first written about by the pagan turned christian, St. Augustine. I don't think this idea is in the bible. Just like "the rapture," it was created after the fact and believed by many who didn't take the time to learn its origin.
20-11-2010, 10:29 PM
No J... if you or another seriously bored member could make a thread about the surprising origins of familiar dogmas and such, that would be awesome times 12. I keep finding out that what the populace takes as "from the bible" is usually Shakespeare or some pagan. Until recently I didn't know that the popular cop out "god works in mysterious ways" is actually believed to have come from a William Cowper hymn.

Just a thought.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
20-11-2010, 10:35 PM
I don't have time for that kind of research. Most of what I post is stuff that I learned over many years.
20-11-2010, 10:52 PM

i have a paper i wrote for religion class on this subject somewhere...ill look for it in a little bit and post you the resources list if you'd like.
Quote this message in a reply