Layers of Hell!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-04-2011, 01:37 AM
Layers of Hell!
Where do Christians get this stuff from? I haven't seen it in the Bible.
It seems that enough people believe in this concept that I wonder - how much of Christianity is actually bible based and how much is made up on the fly.

There are plenty of Christian books with accounts of people who apparently visited heaven/hell and the folklore of these accounts seems to be widely believed.

Then there's the whole number system - numbers that are apparently supposed to mean something profound? How many layers are there in Hell? 7? 9?

Why should those numbers mean anything? The bible doesn't cover any of this it's just.......
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-04-2011, 01:57 AM (This post was last modified: 29-04-2011 02:59 AM by Tim_Kiebooms.)
RE: Layers of Hell!
The layers of hell is a concept brought forward by Dante Alighieri (at least i think it's based on this) in his Divina Commedia. More specifically Dante's Inferno.
Dante was an extremely popular writer in his days and his work is still being read today. In his Inferno he describes how the character Dante (yup same name) travels through the nine circles of hell. For more info check this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inferno_(Dante).

There might even be a bible that is altered to Dante's book since he was a very popular writer those days, the same way it happened with Aristotle who was considered a heretic but that changed due to his popularity. They even altered the bible so that it would fit with Aristotle's theories. I think the same thing could have happened with Dante.

Personally i think the layer system is a pretty cool fantasy :3
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Tim_Kiebooms's post
29-04-2011, 09:18 AM
Don't forget that our friend pope Ratzinger abolished the Limbo a few years ago. I just wonder where all its inhabitants went to...

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)
29-04-2011, 09:43 AM

(29-04-2011 09:18 AM)Thammuz Wrote:  Don't forget that our friend pope Ratzinger abolished the Limbo a few years ago. I just wonder where all its inhabitants went to...
Limbo was the abode for unbaptized children. After the present Pope declared it no longer exists, all the unbaptized baby souls went straight to heaven.

I guess he figured with all the raped kids Priests molested in the church, might as well give the unbaptized souls of infants a break, huh? Big Grin

As to the levels of hell. (LINK)

Dante's play was mirrored in his own imagination, at least to my understanding (which could scare people. Tongue) , from the 7 deadly sins. Each layer of hell a reflection of the most severe punishment for each most egregious transgression.

A point of note, "Hel" was actually a Norse Goddess of the underworld known as Helheim. I offer this as a reminder that all of Christianity, as is evidenced by the Septuagint,(First five books of OT aka/ Books of Moshe/Moses) is stolen from other religious cultures. Every last bit of it. Including the myth of the Christ.

So maybe the levels of Hell are reminiscent of the guilt Dante associated with the church leading people to believe a lie, based on what's myth and stolen from other cultures who's faiths were then targeted for suppression once their religious excerpts were take to serve their purpose in what was ultimately manufactured as the closed canonized version of Deific authority empowered to wipe them from the face of the earth as, "false teachings".
Just a thought.
Quote this message in a reply
29-04-2011, 07:08 PM
I love how they change it around like this. Even a fiction writer today couldn't pull off changing what is written after the masses have read it(See: Dexter in the Dark by Jeff Lindsay). But they accept it if the Pope says there is no Limbo and Dante's idea was pretty cool, so why not add that?

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
29-04-2011, 08:48 PM (This post was last modified: 30-04-2011 08:11 AM by Buddy Christ.)
I read Dante's Inferno on a train on its way to Paris.

I felt very... cultured.

(chews on end of glasses) Mmm. Indeed.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
30-04-2011, 02:54 AM
(29-04-2011 08:48 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  I read Dante's Inferno on a train on it's way to Paris.

I felt very... cultured.

LOL, reminds me of a catholic I met on the train reading that, had an interesting conversation. I generally don't mind moderate Christians.

So is it a good read? Should I read this book? I wonder how many Christians look into the origins of their mythology/history.
30-04-2011, 08:13 AM
For its age and size, it's surprisingly not boring.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
30-04-2011, 11:26 AM

(30-04-2011 08:13 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  For its age and size, it's surprisingly not boring.
I agree. It's worth the time. There's also an audio book version available, all I've found through my local public library, so that if you're on another road trip just pop it into the CD player and visit hell on the way. Tongue

Virgil! Damn you, I missed my exit!Angel
30-04-2011, 01:06 PM

(29-04-2011 08:48 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  I read Dante's Inferno on a train on its way to Paris.

I felt very... cultured.

Epic.. Tongue