Laziness undoing Religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-04-2013, 12:56 PM
Laziness undoing Religion?
Hello All,

Good to be back, haven't been on the forums in quite some time.

Just randomly staring into space earlier today and I was thinking about all the people I know and have met and over time this idea has started to form, and I think it may be true. People within my generation (born in '88) seem to simply... not care about the existence of a deity or simply acknowledge that there may be something out there and it's a nice thought. I noticed this in High school, college, and now within the enlisted military (USAF).

It just seems as if it's accepted that religion exists and it's a custom to observe it. While I am more... convicted that there is no deity at least not an observable one that gives 2 cents, I find this trend very hopeful for future generations. I know the numbers of I think the most recent one I read was 1 in 5 Americans not considering themselves tied to a known religion. That doesn't mean they are atheists (most likely deists) but that they don't tie themselves towards a specific religion.

I like to label my generation "the procrastination generation" and it's very evident that the name fits. I'm not looking to start identifying a claim or anything I was just curious if any of you have noticed similar occurences. Your thoughts?

And yet another interesting topic I am not interested in.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like AmishLatinJew's post
08-04-2013, 01:20 PM
RE: Laziness undoing Religion?
I wouldn't describe it as laziness, but I do see the same thing where I live. People simply aren't as interested in religious matters as they used to be. Those who call themselves Christians often don't bother themselves with church or prayer. They observe certain rites like priests at funerals, marriages in churches, celebrating Christmas... But the religious aspect of it is not in their consciousness. They are thinking about the one who died, or the wedding in progress, or having guests over for dinner and the gifts they will buy and receive. Church and religion are a mere backdrop for their activities. It's not that they don't believe in God any more, it's just that they don't think about it.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Elesjei's post
08-04-2013, 01:56 PM
Yup.

It's pretty much the same in muslim countries of SE Asia.

But not so much laziness as irrelevance.

The gods just aren't needed anymore. Affluence and security are erasing fear.

Cultural christians,
Habitual hindus,
Tradition taoists,
Mocktail muslims.

The big mistake in the US seems to be the separation of church and state which effectively privatised the religions and made them competitive.

Dodgy

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
08-04-2013, 08:56 PM
Religion's come back more times than low hemlines. Just give it ten or twenty years or so and we'll have a new resurgence, similar to the evangelicals in the 70s/80s.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
08-04-2013, 09:21 PM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2013 09:25 PM by Heathen.)
Religions have been with us from very early on in the development of our species. There are very basic human reasons for their emergence and continuance over thousands of years and I suspect that they will always be with us in one form or another. The best I think we can hope for is to keep them in check and avoid theocratic governments. Hopefully, a slow steady decline. Education, science, critical thought; these are the weapons against religion, and they take a generation or two to get results.

I think you may be a bit hard on the current generation. They are turning away from religion in large numbers and they will eventually take their turn in positions of power and in government. Even more importantly they are raising children who will have a much better chance of thinking for themselves and continuing the trend. Their votes for the policies of your generation will tip the scales. There's a lot about the current generation that worries me but this is one area where I'm optimistic.

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes Heathen's post
08-04-2013, 09:31 PM
(08-04-2013 09:21 PM)Heathen Wrote:  Religions have been with us from very early on in the development of our species. There are very basic human reasons for their emergence and continuance over thousands of years and I suspect that they will always be with us in one form or another. The best I think we can hope for is to keep them in check and avoid theocratic governments and perhaps a slow steady decline. Education, science, critical thought; these are the weapons against religion, and they take a generation or two to get results.

I think you may be a bit hard on the current generation. They are turning away from religion in large numbers and they will eventually take their turn in positions of power and in government. Even more importantly they are raising children who will have a much better chance of thinking for themselves and continuing the trend. Their votes for the policies of your generation will tip the scales. There's a lot about the current generation that worries me but this is one area where I'm optimistic.

I think it has to do with the fact that information is so easy to obtain these days. The truly stupid claims of religion don't stick. I also have a theory as to why the current crop of young adults is less religiose; Jurassic Park was a huge hit in the mid-90's and religion has a lot of problems with Dinosaurs.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
08-04-2013, 11:54 PM
I agree. Fact-checking is now in the palm of your hand 24/7. But critical analysis of sources is a skill that really needs attention. It's something that I've worked hard at to teach my children. There's a lot of nonsense out there too.

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
09-04-2013, 04:17 AM
Yeah. The number of times I've met a grown person who says shit like "Well how about them crop-circles" No
10-04-2013, 09:23 AM
(08-04-2013 01:20 PM)Elesjei Wrote:  I wouldn't describe it as laziness, but I do see the same thing where I live. People simply aren't as interested in religious matters as they used to be. Those who call themselves Christians often don't bother themselves with church or prayer. They observe certain rites like priests at funerals, marriages in churches, celebrating Christmas... But the religious aspect of it is not in their consciousness. They are thinking about the one who died, or the wedding in progress, or having guests over for dinner and the gifts they will buy and receive. Church and religion are a mere backdrop for their activities. It's not that they don't believe in God any more, it's just that they don't think about it.

Yeah I suppose it would be far more accurate to say a lack of interest instead of laziness. I just swing towards laziness because... well being a part of this generation, I get quite annoyed with all the procrastination and laziness I do see. Maybe it's just my own personal experience that witnesses this, I know there are plenty, if not a majority, of people in my generation that are active in some aspect. I just personally see and have seen too many people (some friends) hit this lazy stride where they don't bother looking for a job, but complain about not having one, and just simply not care about anything major that is happening in the world despite the effects that it could have on their life.

So I guess I just tied what I have seen in those aspects to the amount of people that don't identify with a specific relgion anymore. Thanks for the responses everyone.

And yet another interesting topic I am not interested in.
10-04-2013, 10:53 AM
I don't pray when I'm sick, I go to the doctor. I don't pray for my relationships, I seek help. I don't pray to get mysterious cheques in the mail, I work hard for my money. I don't seek a mysterious answer for how rainbows appear or birds fly, I ask a scientist. I don't work myself into a frenzy of prayer to 'feel good', I enjoy my life and the pleasures and comforts I can choose from.

It's not laziness that I am away from religion. Life now is more luxurious in modern times, and true, real information is available at our finger tips. The world truly is smaller, more accessible and real.
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post