Le scary CT scan...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-11-2016, 04:32 AM (This post was last modified: 21-11-2016 04:39 AM by Leerob.)
Le scary CT scan...
... was not so scary after all, but weird.

So I mentioned it in another place on here that currently I am being tested for everything pretty much. So I have been in the hospital a few times for tests, nothing dramatic.
Today I had the last of all my tests and it was, you guessed right how did you know, the CT scan.

So the lady from the hospital called and didn't say what hospital she is from and so I assumed it is the same hospital as the one I had for all the other tests. Now that one - where I had all the other tests - has a private and a public part. So naturally I asked if this is private or public. I asked so I know where to go because the way there is a slightly different depending. And the lady was "nono we are <blablabla clinic>" So I was very surprised. Then she told me roughly where it is and gave me my appointment.
Monday 7am. Please fast from 5am.
I had to ask twice to make sure I heard that right. Don't eat from 5 am.
I wonder who the fuck even gets up at that time and even if you do, how is your stomach ready to take food that early. Certainly not mine... Anyway, I am like "sure I can do that" and today woke up at 6am > yay 1 hour of fasting done.
I go there and they give me this jug of contrast stuff with barium in it to drink.
"please drink one cup every 20 minutes. Don't pee from 8:30" so I am a good patient and drink my thing every 20 minutes.
I was a bit nervous before because I am always scared of new things (like unreasonably intensely scared). So of course I was scared of drinking this stuff. Turns out it tasted like that cheap powdered iced tea or juice stuff that you sometimes offer to children when you have nothing else in the house. Non descript sweet fruity taste and certainly not scary.

So at some point the nurse or doctor or intern or whatever comes to pick me up.
Change into a hospital robe and please sit there.
I did not know that I would get an injection of any kind. I thought I'd drink that stuff and that would be the end of it.
Well so she checks my veins, put a needle in and explains this is for the contrast to be injected.

She goes through some questions about my medical history. Blood deceases, pregnant, asthma, allergies, etc. Please sign here and here.
She: "Have you ever had this done before?"
Me: "No"
She: "Ok so we will give you some contrast and it will feel a little warm and you will feel like you are going to the loo. But it's just a feeling."
I shrug "ok"

So I go in, lay on the thing. They put a warm blanket on me. I feel well cared for. This huge apparatus with bottles of stuff hanging on it and tubes to connect to things that stick in patients arms like mine. And CT scanner that looks like the stargate .

Next intern or whatever comes to me.
He: "Hi I am <blablubb> have you ever had this done before?"
He: "Well we will give you this contrast and you will feel like you have to pee but it's fine, it's just a feeling. You will also feel a bit warm and some metallic taste in your mouth." *connects tube to my arm* "You will be moved in and out of this and told when to hold your breath. Put your arms up here. It doesn't take long, just follow the instructions."
Me: "Ok"
He: "Ok we will start the scan now" *and leaves*

A few minutes pass and I wonder what it is with them telling me that I will feel like peeing. Well yea, I do have to go to pee already, is it that? Whatever.
The stargate CT starts doing things, I am being moved in and out and told to hold my breath twice.
This bed is comfy. I could sleep on this.

Next intern or whateverperson comes out.
Him: "Hi so have you had this done before?"
Him: "Ok, I will now give you the contrast and you will feel hot and like you are wetting yourself but don't worry, you are not. It is just a feeling. There may be a metallic taste in your mouth too."
He lets some of that stuff go in my blood.
Him: "Are you feeling ok?"
Me: "Yup."

He leaves and suddenly I feel this hot rush from my lungs, heart, stomach, intestines, and private parts. Hell that actually does feel a little moist. I feel a little dizzy for a moment and think I will slide of the bed even without moving. Tiny rush of panic here. No metallic taste. I go back into the stargate. I have to hold my breath again, this time a bit longer.

Ok it's over. Internpersonorwhoever comes back telling me that we need to leave the needle in my arm for a few minutes. I wonder why but who the fuck cares, I wanna get dressed.
I am sent off to get dressed and please sit down to get the needle out of my arm.

As I wait, I read the signs on the wall. They are for personnel on how to spot different types of reaction to the contrast stuff they put in me. Mild reaction: Vomiting, Nausea, ...... Medium reaction: .... Severe reaction: .... And then it goes into detail who has to do what when a patient has a reaction to that stuff. Nurses, Radiologist, doctors. This is the first time I notice that there is actually an emergency cart standing there. Probably not that harmless after all?

Whatever I am home now. Slightly nauseous but nothing too bad. I could work if I wanted to but I am fucking tired from insomnia and having to get up so early and also this is the perfect excuse to stay home a day. Called my boss, who knew I was gonna either be later or not come at all because I gave the heads-up on Friday. Called and said I am not too well and don't know if it is the injection or something else. She told me to just take a sick day so a sick day I take.

Anyway, this was my CT scan morning. Slightly weird experience.

Cheers
R.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Leerob's post
21-11-2016, 06:49 AM
RE: Le scary CT scan...
I'm sorry that you are having to go through this. I've experienced the same.
21-11-2016, 06:55 AM
Hope you get good results!

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
21-11-2016, 07:50 AM
*hugs*
21-11-2016, 07:56 AM
I hope everything is okay!

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
21-11-2016, 09:09 AM
All the best to you Leela Heart
21-11-2016, 09:18 AM
(21-11-2016 04:32 AM)Leela Wrote:  ... was not so scary after all, but weird.

So I mentioned it in another place on here that currently I am being tested for everything pretty much. So I have been in the hospital a few times for tests, nothing dramatic.
Today I had the last of all my tests and it was, you guessed right how did you know, the CT scan.

So the lady from the hospital called and didn't say what hospital she is from and so I assumed it is the same hospital as the one I had for all the other tests. Now that one - where I had all the other tests - has a private and a public part. So naturally I asked if this is private or public. I asked so I know where to go because the way there is a slightly different depending. And the lady was "nono we are <blablabla clinic>" So I was very surprised. Then she told me roughly where it is and gave me my appointment.
Monday 7am. Please fast from 5am.
I had to ask twice to make sure I heard that right. Don't eat from 5 am.
I wonder who the fuck even gets up at that time and even if you do, how is your stomach ready to take food that early. Certainly not mine... Anyway, I am like "sure I can do that" and today woke up at 6am > yay 1 hour of fasting done.
I go there and they give me this jug of contrast stuff with barium in it to drink.
"please drink one cup every 20 minutes. Don't pee from 8:30" so I am a good patient and drink my thing every 20 minutes.
I was a bit nervous before because I am always scared of new things (like unreasonably intensely scared). So of course I was scared of drinking this stuff. Turns out it tasted like that cheap powdered iced tea or juice stuff that you sometimes offer to children when you have nothing else in the house. Non descript sweet fruity taste and certainly not scary.

So at some point the nurse or doctor or intern or whatever comes to pick me up.
Change into a hospital robe and please sit there.
I did not know that I would get an injection of any kind. I thought I'd drink that stuff and that would be the end of it.
Well so she checks my veins, put a needle in and explains this is for the contrast to be injected.

She goes through some questions about my medical history. Blood deceases, pregnant, asthma, allergies, etc. Please sign here and here.
She: "Have you ever had this done before?"
She: "Ok so we will give you some contrast and it will feel a little warm and you will feel like you are going to the loo. But it's just a feeling."
I shrug "ok"

So I go in, lay on the thing. They put a warm blanket on me. I feel well cared for. This huge apparatus with bottles of stuff hanging on it and tubes to connect to things that stick in patients arms like mine. And CT scanner that looks like the stargate .

Next intern or whatever comes to me.
He: "Hi I am <blablubb> have you ever had this done before?"
He: "Well we will give you this contrast and you will feel like you have to pee but it's fine, it's just a feeling. You will also feel a bit warm and some metallic taste in your mouth." *connects tube to my arm* "You will be moved in and out of this and told when to hold your breath. Put your arms up here. It doesn't take long, just follow the instructions."
He: "Ok we will start the scan now" *and leaves*

A few minutes pass and I wonder what it is with them telling me that I will feel like peeing. Well yea, I do have to go to pee already, is it that? Whatever.
The stargate CT starts doing things, I am being moved in and out and told to hold my breath twice.
This bed is comfy. I could sleep on this.

Next intern or whateverperson comes out.
Him: "Hi so have you had this done before?"
Him: "Ok, I will now give you the contrast and you will feel hot and like you are wetting yourself but don't worry, you are not. It is just a feeling. There may be a metallic taste in your mouth too."
He lets some of that stuff go in my blood.
Him: "Are you feeling ok?"
Me: "Yup."

He leaves and suddenly I feel this hot rush from my lungs, heart, stomach, intestines, and private parts. Hell that actually does feel a little moist. I feel a little dizzy for a moment and think I will slide of the bed even without moving. Tiny rush of panic here. No metallic taste. I go back into the stargate. I have to hold my breath again, this time a bit longer.

Ok it's over. Internpersonorwhoever comes back telling me that we need to leave the needle in my arm for a few minutes. I wonder why but who the fuck cares, I wanna get dressed.
I am sent off to get dressed and please sit down to get the needle out of my arm.

As I wait, I read the signs on the wall. They are for personnel on how to spot different types of reaction to the contrast stuff they put in me. Mild reaction: Vomiting, Nausea, ...... Medium reaction: .... Severe reaction: .... And then it goes into detail who has to do what when a patient has a reaction to that stuff. Nurses, Radiologist, doctors. This is the first time I notice that there is actually an emergency cart standing there. Probably not that harmless after all?

Whatever I am home now. Slightly nauseous but nothing too bad. I could work if I wanted to but I am fucking tired from insomnia and having to get up so early and also this is the perfect excuse to stay home a day. Called my boss, who knew I was gonna either be later or not come at all because I gave the heads-up on Friday. Called and said I am not too well and don't know if it is the injection or something else. She told me to just take a sick day so a sick day I take.

Anyway, this was my CT scan morning. Slightly weird experience.

Cheers
R.

Hug
I'm tempted to write sarcastic little comments after each event. Tongue
You done good.
I see this junk every day, multiple times, (cuz I *work* in a funny farm).
(VERY good descriptions, BTW). I recognize everything you said as what everyone says they experience. Too bad you couldn't have had someone with you who's been thru it all.)

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
21-11-2016, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the nice words everybody.
I am fine by now.

Bucky Ball what the hell is a funny farm?

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
21-11-2016, 09:58 AM
(21-11-2016 09:28 AM)Leela Wrote:  Thanks for the nice words everybody.
I am fine by now.

Bucky Ball what the hell is a funny farm?

A hospital ... you dummy.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
21-11-2016, 10:34 AM (This post was last modified: 21-11-2016 10:38 AM by RocketSurgeon76.)
Ugh, yeah it sucks. Glad you got through it.

I've had so many CT scans that I suspect my intestines still glow from the crap they make you drink. Worst of all, I had them all done while a prisoner at a SuperMax facility, so I was shackled and hobbled and wearing every part of the Hannibal Lecter transport outfit except the face mask... which all had to come off for the actual procedure. Seriously, two armed guards, and me in a heavy orange canvas outfit, wearing leg hobbles, which are ankle handcuffs with about an 18" chain between them with a bell on it, a belly chain, and this torturous handcuffs-box thing, which keeps your arms uncomfortably locked with elbows straight and your hands forced uncomfortably into your crotch when you sit:

[Image: black-box.jpg]

I couldn't find a better picture of the device, but that one's not really a prisoner. I can tell because the belly chain is loose and his arms aren't crushed together by how tightly they've bound the chains. It's also missing the heavy padlock that runs through the central loop of the box that clamps over the handcuffs, keeping them immobilized.

But drinking those drinks and waiting in the civilian-filled waiting area while looking like The Most Terrifying Psychopath on Earth™ was as amusing as it was uncomfortable.

My favorite part was when the nurse warned me how bad the flavored barium drink was, by way of apologizing, and I told her I thought it was actually a pretty tasty smoothie (I was being generous because she looked genuinely bothered to be giving me something so nasty, and I realized she probably took a lot of crap from less-generous and more-frightened patients taking out their fear on her)... her vaguely horrified facial expression will stay with me forever! [Edit to Add: I don't know if she thought "oh he's a psycho prisoner after all!" or if she was concerned that the food was so bad in the prison that I'd think the barium drink was tasty, but the facial expression was truly priceless.]

I had to do this procedure numerous times, during my cancer treatments. Sucked every time.

Sorry for the prison story. Maybe if I'd been able to tell you about it beforehand, the scary parts for you wouldn't have seemed so bad. You could have just pictured me and thought. "Nope, I'm good!"

Seriously though... congratulations on being brave, and doing what needed to be done. Cheers and best wishes. Smile

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post