Leading atheist publishes secular Bible

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-04-2011, 01:00 PM

Leading atheist publishes secular Bible
By Jessica Ravitz, CNN April 11,2011

The question arose early in British academic A.C. Grayling’s career: What if those ancient compilers who’d made Bibles, the collected religious texts that were translated, edited, arranged and published en masse, had focused instead on assembling the non-religious teachings of civilization’s greatest thinkers?

What if the book that billions have turned to for ethical guidance wasn’t tied to commandments from God or any one particular tradition but instead included the writings of Aristotle, the reflections of Confucius, the poetry of Baudelaire? What would that book look like, and what would it mean?

Decades after he started asking such questions, what Grayling calls “a lifetime’s work” has hit bookshelves. “The Good Book: A Humanist Bible,” subtitled “A Secular Bible” in the United Kingdom, was published this month. Grayling crafted it by using more than a thousand texts representing several hundred authors, collections and traditions. (Full Article)

Don't you just hear Fundy's nodding with their smug sense of rightness and saying, "See? We told you atheism was a religion! There's a secular Bible now!"

Or like this guy I talked with at a Theology website, who was extremist far right wing Christian and hated the secular realm. He saw the secular community as intent on destroying his religion in America. This article, which I'm sure will come to that forums attention soon enough, will simply cause him to fear and hate more than he already does, everything secular.
In his world, and he said this, a Christian nation by the Old Testament laws, would bring us around to being respected world wide again!

Just the kind of guy any atheist would want as a neighbor. Especially if one's car had atheist bumper stickers on the back.
Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2011, 01:44 PM
RE: Leading atheist publishes secular Bible
Why is "oxymoron" the first word that comes to mind here? Still I suppose it could make an entertaining read. I hope I can get it on Kindle.

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2011, 10:09 PM
Sounds like it would be an interesting read. Let me know what you think of it if you get it NM.
13-04-2011, 02:30 PM
(12-04-2011 01:44 PM)Norseman Wrote:  Why is "oxymoron" the first word that comes to mind here? Still I suppose it could make an entertaining read. I hope I can get it on Kindle.
I was puzzled by what they were calling it as well, but I think it was named for attention-grabbing value. I think it was the author's way of getting people to read a book that points out: "HEY! Atheist does NOT equal satanist!"

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
13-04-2011, 03:12 PM
It's named that because a bible is a large collection of information. There are bibles for relatively every sport. It's a wealth of information so the title is fine. They also would be wanting to name it something that has meaning. It's like the arguments over what things are religions or philosophies. The important difference between the words is that people give special privileges to religions but not philosophies. Religions are similar to philosophies in many respects but tend to detail more about life. If you were to write a book on how life should be lived that discussed a way to view the world which will improve the readers you would more seek the term religious text than philosophy book. It really makes a big difference in the impression those who read it gain.

A historical text is not as definite in most peoples minds as a bible. They see a comprehensive collection of ideas and events as something more when it carries that name. Linguistics have long had a strong role in perspectives, and bible does not in any way demand that the works be spiritual. Do you see something vastly different from a secular tome and a spiritual tome?

I know I'm silly but I think the name is fine, and while some idiots might think it aids in calling atheism a religion it really doesn't matter what those people think. If atheism were a religion we could start demanding rights to avoid persecution due to our religious beliefs being forfeited. The Christians who focus on this don't want this to actually happen, they just try to mock us because we tend to mock them.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.