Leading on Jehovah's witnesses

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-03-2015, 09:02 PM
Leading on Jehovah's witnesses
So... My girlfriend is Atheist, and does not in any way keep it hidden under normal circumstances. But we've got a thing going on with some Jehovah's witnesses that stop by from time to time.

Though both of us are well out of the closet, so to speak, she has trouble being what she considers "mean" to people who treat her nicely, and it just so happens that's how Jehovah's witnesses operate. When they stopped by and I answered the door the first time, several years ago, I was polite but informed them that I was agnostic and had no interest. A few weeks later I came home and found some pamphlets from them because my girlfriend, unlike me, felt bad that they were walking around in shitty weather going from door to door and didn't have the heart to tell them she wasn't interested, so she said she'd at least take a look at the pamphlets.

Fast forward a couple years... They're still stopping by every couple weeks. When they talk to her, she still pretends like she's interested in an effort to not be rude. She then tries to pawn it off on me to be the mean one, requesting that the next time I answer to the door to tell them she's not interested either. But nope, I'm having way too much fun with it. They're always disappointed when it's me who answers the door, nonetheless they ask if my girlfriend is available to talk and, of course, I always give an enthusiastic "yes," bring her their most recent brochures, and inform her that her best friends the Jehovah's witnesses are here to talk to her. Then I sit back and watch in amusement as she attempts to make her way through the conversation and get rid of them without being rude, after which I have myself a good laugh.

Am I an asshole?

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like yakherder's post
11-03-2015, 09:09 PM
RE: Leading on Jehovah's witnesses
The JWs used to take the time to drive out to my grandparents' farm when I lived there in my early 20s. They were nice and I would invite them in if the weather was bad or someone was afraid of our dog. After a while, they got really pushy and I became less welcoming.

Last Saturday a couple ladies showed up here. They were polite. One handed me a brochure that I flipped open and saw was JW literature. It wasn't a Watchtower so I had to look to figure out what flavor of god pusher she was. I handed it back and said no thank you. She thanked me for answering the door. Went on with my day.

I have only had one big blowup with religion peddlers and that was days after my cancer diagnosis. What I didn't need to hear at that moment was that I should pray for healing.

Any who get pushy, get push back from me. Otherwise, I don't want to come off as the angry, rude atheist.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
12-03-2015, 06:14 AM
I don't show up at their church and try to convert them to reality -

So when they show up on my doorstep uninvited -- they better be ready for an ass chewing.....

No prisoners!!!!!!!!!!

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
12-03-2015, 06:35 AM
(11-03-2015 09:02 PM)yakherder Wrote:  So... My girlfriend is Atheist, and does not in any way keep it hidden under normal circumstances. But we've got a thing going on with some Jehovah's witnesses that stop by from time to time.

Though both of us are well out of the closet, so to speak, she has trouble being what she considers "mean" to people who treat her nicely, and it just so happens that's how Jehovah's witnesses operate. When they stopped by and I answered the door the first time, several years ago, I was polite but informed them that I was agnostic and had no interest. A few weeks later I came home and found some pamphlets from them because my girlfriend, unlike me, felt bad that they were walking around in shitty weather going from door to door and didn't have the heart to tell them she wasn't interested, so she said she'd at least take a look at the pamphlets.

Fast forward a couple years... They're still stopping by every couple weeks. When they talk to her, she still pretends like she's interested in an effort to not be rude. She then tries to pawn it off on me to be the mean one, requesting that the next time I answer to the door to tell them she's not interested either. But nope, I'm having way too much fun with it. They're always disappointed when it's me who answers the door, nonetheless they ask if my girlfriend is available to talk and, of course, I always give an enthusiastic "yes," bring her their most recent brochures, and inform her that her best friends the Jehovah's witnesses are here to talk to her. Then I sit back and watch in amusement as she attempts to make her way through the conversation and get rid of them without being rude, after which I have myself a good laugh.

Am I an asshole?

Maybe, but I think you're gonna be single if you keep it up. Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
12-03-2015, 06:46 AM
(11-03-2015 09:02 PM)yakherder Wrote:  So... My girlfriend is Atheist, and does not in any way keep it hidden under normal circumstances. But we've got a thing going on with some Jehovah's witnesses that stop by from time to time.

Am I an asshole?

LOL. Bowing I think its a fabulous solution! and would also find great amusement in it.

maybe we're both assholes. Consider

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
12-03-2015, 07:18 AM
(11-03-2015 09:02 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Am I an asshole?

Yes, but I mean that in the nicest possible way. Big Grin

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
12-03-2015, 07:24 AM
I just tell 'em to please not come back. Only happened to me like... twice in my life. Thing is, I bet they hate doing it as much as we hate them knocking, so if they find a 'safe' house where people don't tell 'em to buzz off and maybe even let them in for a drink or something, they're gonna suddenly conceive a great interest in the state of that particular nice person's soul, 'cos every week when they gonna go pray to Jesus or whatever they do they can feel all good that they're doing their mandatory evangelism *but* at least they're not getting chased by someone's dog or whatever. It's probably nicer to have someone who's not gonna get converted any time soon 'cos then if they do convert a. you've lost your safe house b. you've got another door-knocker in competition with you for the finite number of safe houses in the area.

I wonder what these guys do when they're the majority population in an area... do they form an orderly queue in front of unbeliever's houses?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
12-03-2015, 07:29 AM
(12-03-2015 07:24 AM)morondog Wrote:  I just tell 'em to please not come back. Only happened to me like... twice in my life. Thing is, I bet they hate doing it as much as we hate them knocking, so if they find a 'safe' house where people don't tell 'em to buzz off and maybe even let them in for a drink or something, they're gonna suddenly conceive a great interest in the state of that particular nice person's soul, 'cos every week when they gonna go pray to Jesus or whatever they do they can feel all good that they're doing their mandatory evangelism *but* at least they're not getting chased by someone's dog or whatever. It's probably nicer to have someone who's not gonna get converted any time soon 'cos then if they do convert a. you've lost your safe house b. you've got another door-knocker in competition with you for the finite number of safe houses in the area.

I wonder what these guys do when they're the majority population in an area... do they form an orderly queue in front of unbeliever's houses?

They form different branches of the same church so they can then begin proselytizing to each other.

'Murican Canadian
12-03-2015, 07:48 AM
(12-03-2015 07:24 AM)morondog Wrote:  I just tell 'em to please not come back. Only happened to me like... twice in my life. Thing is, I bet they hate doing it as much as we hate them knocking, so if they find a 'safe' house where people don't tell 'em to buzz off and maybe even let them in for a drink or something, they're gonna suddenly conceive a great interest in the state of that particular nice person's soul, 'cos every week when they gonna go pray to Jesus or whatever they do they can feel all good that they're doing their mandatory evangelism *but* at least they're not getting chased by someone's dog or whatever. It's probably nicer to have someone who's not gonna get converted any time soon 'cos then if they do convert a. you've lost your safe house b. you've got another door-knocker in competition with you for the finite number of safe houses in the area.

Unfortunately, they go forth and multiply.
12-03-2015, 08:03 AM

Am I an asshole?

Yes. But that's no reason to stop. Smile