Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-11-2016, 08:59 PM
Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath
http://tonyortega.org/2016/11/24/leah-re...onnection/

"Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath, the A&E series that begins airing Tuesday night at 10 pm, opens with Leah Remini talking directly to you against a black background.

It’s an unusual start for a show that wants to explain itself as it goes along. Throughout the first hour of the series, Leah narrates almost as much about how and why she’s doing the program as what’s happening on screen. We found this quality of self-awareness to be one of the episode’s strengths.

And in order to explain how we got here, Leah quickly fills in viewers on her background in Scientology, how she became disaffected, and how she left the church and then wrote a book about it, her bestselling 2015 memoir, Troublemaker."

This could be interesting.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like pablo's post
25-11-2016, 09:07 PM
RE: Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath
I am definitely watching this. I am sort of obsessed with cults, especially scientology.

Going Clear is really good, if you can find it (it was on HBO)

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like ShadowProject's post
25-11-2016, 09:12 PM
Read book called Beyond Belief by Jenna Hill a few years back. The author was raised in scientology from childhood and escaped as a young adult (into Christianity, unfortunately). Very interesting book.

'Murican Canadian
25-11-2016, 09:14 PM
I was reading earlier about how she was suing the Church of Scientology for damages over how they've treated her and damaged her career since she left and at first I thought she was being greedy but actually they really hate her and have actively worked to destroy her life personally and professionally.

I think it would also mark a precedent where other people can sue churches who have caused emotional, financial or physical damage to them, it may open the door to the true realities of how churches can function in an atmosphere of fear and lies, it's about time they got treated equally instead of being protected because of "religious liberty".

I know they are not all the same and there are good churches that foster healthy relationships with their congregants but that only helps the abusive churches in the end, it's just sickening what people will do in the name of a God or belief system and it needs to stop.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
25-11-2016, 09:15 PM
I got a season pass for this. Thanks for this post, I forgot about the show.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-11-2016, 09:27 PM
I was watching a show on A&E network and saw a commercial about the show that reminded me.
She just did an interview with Ellen DeGeneres about how she is determined to go after the Scientologists and to help others who have left the "church.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
26-11-2016, 03:46 AM
On the issue of suing a church for damages to a relationship, I heard of a case in which a guy sued a Mormon Church for damages to his relationship after the church occupied so much of his girlfriend's time and altered her perception of him as someone who was an outsider and non believer.

I was pretty sure he won the case.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
03-01-2017, 09:19 PM
Scientology
I am admittedly fascinated by cults. Scientology is so insane that it baffles me why people stay in it...until you watch or read about it, then you understand WHY people stay. Brainwashing, punishment, separating families, shunning, you name it, Scientology has it all!

Is anyone watching the Leah Remini special?

03-01-2017, 09:27 PM
RE: Scientology
I haven't seen it yet, but it seems interesting though. I watched the Heaven's Gate videos on youtube--scary stuff!

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
03-01-2017, 09:38 PM
RE: Scientology
Oh yes, very scary! That guy always spooked me!

The Leah Remini special is good...it's more about covering specific ex-members and their stories. Some of it is heartbreaking Sad

The Going Clear special on HBO is also really good, if you get a chance to see it.